Safe life of Tyres (Tires) - Recommendations to replace apparently based on economic - rather than safety - needs

dinga

Must admit to being bemused after two separate businesses recommended I replace the tyres on our cars  -  quite unnecessarily in my view.

*  #1:  Went to a tyre retailer to have a puncture repaired.  Was amazed to be told all 4 tyres should be replaced on the sedan as they were "old"  -  on a new vehicle purchased some 5 years earlier and about 50k Kms travelled.  Plenty of tread left and no reason to suspect the tyres were compromised in any way.

*  #2:  Had my Ranger pickup truck recently serviced at Ford and was told my Yokohama tyres should similarly be replaced as they were 7 years old (they have travelled only 35k Kms in the 6 1/2 years they have been on the vehicle, are in fine condition and I'd reckon the tread is about 1/2 way though its life.  Both vehicles are used pretty well every day, are kept under cover and are driven conservatively. 

In 50 years of driving, I've never heard of these recommendations before (perhaps because the distances traveled in Australia are such that the tread wears out before age becomes any consideration).  Anyhow, curiosity got the better of me and I've found that Yokohama recommends the replacement and disposal of all passenger and light truck tyres whose DOT production date is 10 years or more old.  Sounds far more reasonable - reckon my tyres have got another 3 years in 'em - and at the current rate of use will still have plenty of tread when they are replaced.        

• Like 2

The storyline we hear most frequently is from the dealers who point out that 4 years is the maximum safe life of a tire here, mostly because of the heat. The last two sets of tires we've purchased have been discounted because the tires were already nearly one year old, Bridgestone Deullers at 6,500 baht each, discounted to 4,000 each.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dinga said:

*  #2:  Had my Ranger pickup truck recently serviced at Ford and was told my Yokohama tyres should similarly be replaced as they were 7 years old (they have travelled only 35k Kms in the 6 1/2 years they have been on the vehicle, are in fine condition and I'd reckon the tread is about 1/2 way though its life.  Both vehicles are used pretty well every day

35K kms in 7 years is 5000km a year, 100km a week. So used pretty well every day but 13km a day?  555

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

35K kms in 7 years is 5000km a year, 100km a week. So used pretty well every day but 13km a day?  555

Yep - you got it (in the past, would have been more like 1/2 that most days). 

• Love It 1

11 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Rubber degrades over time. I would say you've had your money's worth in 5 years. 7 is definitely too long regardless of remaining tread. 

Noted and forgotten (I place more credence in the Manufacturer's advice)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll run Bridgestone Deullers on my truck for no more than 5 years. My wife runs an Attrage that had a set of Dunlops installed four years ago, she'll run those for 6 years max, because it's only a run about and low mileage car. Much more than 5/6 years and the age shows up in the braking and the noise, especially on the Vigo. And at 4k for a one year old tire, that's at least four more years of safe driving for under a hundred Pounds each, it's silly not to.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Tyres are made of organic compounds, and there are not too many that don't degrade with age. Especially with the heat and humidity of Thailand.

I got 70,000 km out of my last set of Michelins. My mechanic said I should change them out. When I protested they still had another 5000 km in them, not down to the TWI's, he pointed to the tread cracking that had occurred with all of them.

I remember when I worked in Port Hedland many years ago the roads were so bad a set only lasted 15,000 km.

I would suggest to the OP check for tread and sidewall cracking, if it is not there, keep going.

Overinflated tyres during there life cause cracking in treads in older tyres. 

21 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Has anyone ever bothered to tell the owners of the thousands of second hand tyre and wheel shops that are everywhere in Thailand that the safe life of a tyre here is four years? Thought not...

Yep got a set on now, no cracks little wear will get another good three years out of them.

• Like 2

Yeah, 5 years seems to be the prevailing recommended time line....In the states for cars & RV tires they're calling for every 5 years (I have to replace 8 next time back - sitting 3 years + 4/5 years old).....

My FIL checks the tread supulty by whether or not it gives under his thumbnail....It it doesn't give/flex he replaces the tires...He used to have his own tire shop.... I'm guessing a 10B piece would also work to prod the tread with....

Bridgestone's are known for tread hardening & rigidity & traction loss with age....

Flex cracking tells a whole another story depending where they are....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Did you actually get specific advice for tyres used in Thailand? No? I thought not. 
The heat, humidity and UV radiation age tyres and many petrochemical compounds at a much faster rate than in temperate climates. All these factors age limit tyres far more than the wear limits. For a while I was getting through rear tyres about every 8~11 months when doing significant distances, now doing much less mileage it’s about 4~6 years or the wear limit 

Think again  -  again, it's the Manufacturer who has the credibility

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

My FIL checks the tread supulty by whether or not it gives under his thumbnail....It it doesn't give/flex he replaces the tires

This. Check out the softness of the rubber in 5 year old tires compared to new. Press hard with tip of your thumb and you will likely feel a significant difference in flexibility.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

Has anyone ever bothered to tell the owners of the thousands of second hand tyre and wheel shops that are everywhere in Thailand that the safe life of a tyre here is four years? Thought not...

LOL, I've seen some delivery vehicles here where the radial belts under the tread are showing. Hang out at one of the inspection stations for renewing registration, pickups with no tail-lights and stuffed shock absorbers get a pass no problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Overinflated tyres during there life cause cracking in treads in older tyres. 

True, mine are inflated to manufacturer's specs as printed in the driver's manual. Some of us actually read them.

I don't think there are too many people who get 70,000 km out of a set of tyres.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

True, mine are inflated to manufacturer's specs as printed in the driver's manual. Some of us actually read them.

I don't think there are too many people who get 70,000 km out of a set of tyres.

All tyres sold in Thailand these days are ok, just some wear out quicker than others.

With my tyrelife experience in the motor trade you will always get tyre company sales talk and OCD car owners.

Regular inspection of tyre walls inside and out and tread, correct recommende presures is adequate for normal road use. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dinga said:

Think again  -  again, it's the Manufacturer who has the credibility

Only if you are getting information specifically targeted at the geographical area you live in. If you are just quoting non area specific information then you have no credibility or knowledge and know not of what you speak.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Only if you are getting information specifically targeted at the geographical area you live in. If you are just quoting non area specific information then you have no credibility or knowledge and know not of what you speak.

My sentiments exactly - now go quietly into the night

My wife passed her test at a driving school, and was pleased to show me the date on my tires, "can only be 4 yrs old'' she said proudly, Me ''did they show you this arrow for the wear bars" "no" I have often been told at tyre shops you need new. Anyhow this is why I buy the cheap tyres now, keep them coated with a tyre spray and park if pos. out of the sun and keep the pressures correct, check the side walls often.

for those who don't know wear bars.

769690545_downloadrt.jpg.067f6f9626f4b5c281034983078c2d14.jpg

On our Teana I run Premium tires 'cause I drive it like I stole it.

When tread wear gets to 50% I install new ones.

All that is keeping you on the road is those 4 small contact patches.

Best to have near new tires doing that contacting for you if you drive like me.

Those that keep to the speed limits - well, you can get by with less.

11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Information is based on experience not what sales people and people here say, it's mostly all in the head most of the time is what I find. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

keep them coated with a tyre spray and park if pos. out of the sun and keep the pressures correct, check the side walls often.

Not sure of the benefits of a tyre spray.

"First of all, never opt for tyre shine solution as most of them contain petrochemicals and silicone that will disperse the wax protectant infused by the tyre maker leaving the tyre unprotected from natural elements."

https://www.tyremarket.com/tyremantra/tyre-degradation-causes-preventive-measures/

From the site above:

Tyre Degradation

1. Rubber oxidization

2. Water

3. Pressure

4. Aging

5. Lack of use

20 hours ago, dinga said:

Anyhow, curiosity got the better of me and I've found that Yokohama recommends the replacement and disposal of all passenger and light truck tyres whose DOT production date is 10 years or more old.

You left out a couple of other recommendations by Yokohama regarding tire life:

"Follow your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations for tire service life. For a tire in use for five or more years, including your spare tire, Yokohama recommends an inspection by a qualified tire service professional at least once a year to determine whether the tire can continue in service."

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires-101/maintenance-care-1/tire-life

14 minutes ago, ningnong said:

You left out a couple of other recommendations by Yokohama regarding tire life:

"Follow your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations for tire service life. For a tire in use for five or more years, including your spare tire, Yokohama recommends an inspection by a qualified tire service professional at least once a year to determine whether the tire can continue in service."

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires-101/maintenance-care-1/tire-life

True - in the absence of any compromise (which is exactly my case), the Manufacturer recommends replacement after 10 years.

The issue I raised really relates to hidden economic reasons being the excuse used to urge tyre replacement well before they really need to be.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dinga said:

True - in the absence of any compromise (which is exactly my case), the Manufacturer recommends replacement after 10 years.

The issue I raised really relates to hidden economic reasons being the excuse used to urge tyre replacement well before they really need to be.  

Yeah I change mine every 5 yrs maximum for economic reasons.

Couple tyres cost chump change compared to the financial burden a tire blowout could cause.... Whilst Iam confident I can stop my vehicle in such an event I doubt my missus can..... I'd be devastated if she had a blow out on the 36 taking the kids to school due to me milking the tire life to save a few pennies.

• Thumbs Up 1