Mass Migrant Crossing Floods Texas Border Facilities

Scott

image.png

EL PASO — After nightfall on Sunday, hundreds of migrants stepped across the Rio Grande and into El Paso, a caravan of people mainly from Nicaragua whose crossing was among the largest in recent years along the West Texas border.

Their arrival en masse into the United States surprised even those in El Paso, which has in recent months found itself overwhelmed by a steady stream of many migrants from Central and South America, more than 50,000 people in October alone.

Like the migrants from Venezuela who flooded into El Paso this year, those arriving from Nicaragua cannot be rapidly expelled under a pandemic-era public health policy known as Title 42, which federal authorities employ with migrants from other countries, such as Mexico.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/12/us/el-paso-migrants-border.html

New York Times Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand

Thailand should be giving the US training on immigrant and overstay removals. Of course the Thais living there illegally will put up a fuss about their rights. ???? America is becoming the land of the free loaders. Maybe they can lend them a smart car???? I’m sure that would help at the border.  Wait till they see how green the grass is. They won’t be coming back either. 

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

"Move along, nothing to see here. All is under control and border is safe" - Biden, Harris & Whitehouse press secretary !

Never once have I see the narcissists here propose actually doing anything about the root cause of the problem. I guess Col. North poisoned the well for the US and they don't want to get burned again.

"They don't let you work if you're part of the opposition," explained Ms Wells, herself part of an earlier wave of Nicaraguan refugees from the 1980s. "They won't renew your business license. Or, if you're a farmer, they won't buy your product to be exported. That's part of the reason Nicaraguans are leaving the country".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61735603

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Never once have I see the narcissists here propose actually doing anything about the root cause of the problem. I guess Col. North poisoned the well for the US and they don't want to get burned again.

"They don't let you work if you're part of the opposition," explained Ms Wells, herself part of an earlier wave of Nicaraguan refugees from the 1980s. "They won't renew your business license. Or, if you're a farmer, they won't buy your product to be exported. That's part of the reason Nicaraguans are leaving the country".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61735603

The "root cause"? OK, I will take a stab at it. The "root cause" is because they can.

They know that they will not be detained, they will be fed and housed, their children can go to school, and they can work illegally with little chance of being caught. 

That is why most are willing to pay human smugglers thousands of dollars to get them to the border.  You think people are actually walking from Nicaragua? It is a big business in central America, safer than smuggling drugs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

"Move along, nothing to see here. All is under control and border is safe" - Biden, Harris & Whitehouse press secretary !

Ahhh nooo how about this republicans come to the table and help resolve this problem as the dems have been trying to get them to do for years but instead of caring about our security they prefer to play political theater in an attempt to make the dems look bad 

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Tug said:

Ahhh nooo how about this republicans come to the table and help resolve this problem as the dems have been trying to get them to do for years but instead of caring about our security they prefer to play political theater in an attempt to make the dems look bad 

Its the Republicans fault that Biden stopped the wall being built , the wall the Republicans began building to stop the travellers ?

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I don’t believe in illegal immigration.  But the people that do border crossings to stay in Thailand.  That’s not legit either. 

??????????????????????

If people doing border runs to stay in Thailand get a legal stamp to do so, how is that not legit?

Not a very good example to use when talking about what is happening in the US IMO. None of those people crossing the border were doing so to get a stamp in their passport.

9 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

The "root cause"? OK, I will take a stab at it. The "root cause" is because they can.

They know that they will not be detained, they will be fed and housed, their children can go to school, and they can work illegally with little chance of being caught. 

That is why most are willing to pay human smugglers thousands of dollars to get them to the border.  You think people are actually walking from Nicaragua? It is a big business in central America, safer than smuggling drugs. 

Something I don't understand is how they can pay smugglers thousands of $ if they are so poor they can't afford to live in their own country?

Someone is paying, but I doubt it's those walking across Mexico to enter the US by other than legal channels.

Perhaps someone can explain it for me?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Something I don't understand is how they can pay smugglers thousands of $ if they are so poor they can't afford to live in their own country?

Someone is paying, but I doubt it's those walking across Mexico to enter the US by other than legal channels.

Perhaps read the BBC link I provided for a few clues?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Basically, the USA won't buy Nicaraguan farmers produce due to sanctions and this is causing them hardship and so thy have to go to the USA

OK, but if they are in such hardship they have to walk to the US, how can they afford to pay the smugglers, and who is paying for their food etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jcmj said:

Thailand should be giving the US training on immigrant and overstay removals. Of course the Thais living there illegally will put up a fuss about their rights. ???? America is becoming the land of the free loaders. Maybe they can lend them a smart car???? I’m sure that would help at the border.  Wait till they see how green the grass is. They won’t be coming back either. 

They're coming to work. Hardly freeloaders. Immigrants in the US are amazing. We need many more of them. Yes there are too many coming illegally which is why comprehensive immigration reform is needed to open up better paths for sorely needed legal immigration.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its the Republicans fault that Biden stopped the wall being built , the wall the Republicans began building to stop the travellers ?

Nope if you rember Donnie always said Mexico would pay for the wall they (declined) then Donnie had a tantrum and shut the fed down when the majority of the lawmakers said no I certainly remember it it was just before Donnie started separating little kids from their moms then losing track of them hope that helps

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

Nope if you rember Donnie always said Mexico would pay for the wall they (declined) then Donnie had a tantrum and shut the fed down when the majority of the lawmakers said no I certainly remember it it was just before Donnie started separating little kids from their moms then losing track of them hope that helps

Oh I see, so it was Donald Trump who stopped building the wall ?

I didn't realise that as I don't follow USA news much 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Where is your evidence they are paying $thousands to smugglers?

I’m sure some are, but all of them?

I suspect most are doing exactly what migrants to America escaping poverty have always done, whatever is necessary to ensure the safety and future of their families.

My understanding is that the people in that Juarez El.Paso line are waiting to LEGALLY enter the United States to LEGALLY claim asylum. There is a spike now because Title 42 Covid restrictions have been lifted.

People trying to enter illegally don't line up like that at an official border crossing. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Where is your evidence they are paying $thousands to smugglers?

I’m sure some are, but all of them?

I suspect most are doing exactly what migrants to America escaping poverty have always done, whatever is necessary to ensure the safety and future of their families.

Really?  Just walking from Nicaragua to the US border through Mexico? That is more than 3,000km.  So at a good walk, according to Google Maps, it would take over 700 hours. At 7 hours walking a day, that is a 100 day journey. 

Nah, they pay smugglers at some point, either home or in Mexico.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Really?  Just walking from Nicaragua to the US border through Mexico? That is more than 3,000km.  So at a good walk, according to Google Maps, it would take over 700 hours. At 7 hours walking a day, that is a 100 day journey. 

Nah, they pay smugglers at some point, either home or in Mexico.  

Millions of Americans are descended from Irish people who fled to America during the famine, they were starving,  had nothing but managed to make the journey.

Where there is a will, drive and ambition a way will be found.

Immigrants with ‘Will, Drive, Ambition’ 

It doesn’t get more American than that.

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Immigrants with ‘will’, ‘drive’ and ‘ambition’.

I can see why that bothers some folk.

How about immigrants with proper vetting, proper visas, and needed skills instead?

I don't see why some folk are bothered by following some simple and basic rules. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

How about immigrants with proper vetting, proper visas, and needed skills instead?

I don't see why some folk are bothered by following some simple and basic rules. 

The immigrants queuing at the border check point, refer evidence posted above, are following simple rules.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Gotta keep that cheap labour coming in.

It's the same in the UK. The Republican/Conservative Party want lots of exploitable labour for their rich mates. Whilst the Democrat/Labour Party want lots more poor people who will vote for them. So, everyone's happy!????

• Like 1