To settle an argument - when does 90 days start ?

As the title suggests a friend and myself are disagreeing on this matter, please clarify.

In the case of someone entering on a 30 ( or 45 ) day visa exempt and applying for an O visa does the 90 days clock start on:

a) The date of entry to Thailand 

b) The date of application for O visa 

or

c) Varies from IO to IO

TIA

Andy

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

The 90 days starts the moment you enter Thailand.

that is not the question, did you only read the topic title?

This is the question

In the case of someone entering on a 30 ( or 45 ) day visa exempt and applying for an O visa does the 90 days clock start on:

a) The date of entry to Thailand 

b) The date of application for O visa 

or

c) Varies from IO to IO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

that is not the question, did you only read the topic title?

This is the question

So you have TWO different 90 days. The one when you enter Thailand, and the one you are talking about. Confusing eh?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So you have TWO different 90 days. The one when you enter Thailand, and the one you are talking about. Confusing eh?

The one I am talking about is your first extension (Non-O), after that, when you for example enter Thailand with a Re-Entry permit, your report is due 89 days after you arrive (day of arrival counts as day 1 even if you get stamped in at 23:59 ???? )

Edited by MJCM
additional info
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

The one I am talking about is your first extension (Non-O), after that, when you for example enter Thailand with a Re-Entry permit, your report is due 89 days after you arrive (day of arrival counts as day 1 even if you get stamped in at 23:59 ???? )

But the re-entry 90 day report can be 15 days before or 7 days after that date. Gives plenty of leeway.

But if you do report early, you only get a date 90 days from the date you actually do report. I wonder if you get 7 days extra if you do it late. As if it really matters.

Edited by KannikaP

It should appear obvious from the dates in my passport you would think, but actually not so in my case.

Entered Thailand Sept 2nd

Applied for O Visa Sept 6th 

Applied successfully online for 90 days report Nov 22nd, since nullified by immigration as 1st report needs to be in person.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

It should appear obvious from the dates in my passport you would think, but actually not so in my case.

Applied successfully online for 90 days report Nov 22nd, since nullified by immigration as 1st report needs to be in person.

Do you want another scenario?

Our local IO resets the 90 day report date on every YEAR extension.

Example:

2022 I applied for a new extension on January 6th. My 90 day report was due Feb 1, after I left the office my new 90 day report slip said to report on April 5th..

But that said not all IO's do this, only a few.

15 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sept 6th - Nov22 is only 77 days  but you can report 15 days early. So ....

date.JPG.7ff12aaef4c57b3f990cad395368e2e9.JPG

Edited by MJCM
Added picture

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your first 12 month extension starts your 90 day count.

So if someone entered on a 45 day visa exempt, extended 30 days and after 15 applied for an O visa then an extension on day 80 of that O visa ?, that would be 45 + 30 + 80 that could be 155 days before the 90 days clock starts ?

Not doubting you @DrJack54 as your post is what my immigration have done albeit in my case is less than 90 days.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

8 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Our local IO resets the 90 day report date on every YEAR extension.

As you point out ...every immigration is different.

I think some offices (eg yours) do it as a favor.

IMO the 90 report has nothing to do with extensions and especially now with the improved online system the immigration office should just deal with the extension. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As you point out ...every immigration is different.

IMO the 90 report has nothing to do with extensions and especially now with the improved online system the immigration office should just deal with the extension. 

But you hate that practice. Am I right Jack? ????

Edit: I remember a "rant" about it a couple months ago

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I totally don't mind, when leaving the IO, I look at a couple of things

Stamps and 90 day report is when, and then put that date in my Phone so I am not late reporting.

• Like 1

Starts when I ask the IO to do the report, then all I care about is the date for the next 90 day report.

Better to argue sex, drugs, R&R, religion, politics or sports.  And who is paying for the next round ???

Much more important ... ????

So, after receiving some confirmation from another source,  @DrJack54 is correct the 90 days clock only starts ( in the scenario of the op ) when permission to stay for MORE than 90 days is given.i.e an extension or first time entry with an OA visa for example.

Indeed my first 90 days report ( from this new O visa) is scheduled 90 days from application of extension and needs to be done in person at immigration.

Obviously subsequent re-entries on this extension will start the clock upon entry to Thailand.

Of course there will be some variations on this by different IO’s, my friend got his 90 days due date notification on application of O visa while I got mine on application of extension from the O visa.

Hell will of course freeze over before all IO’s are on the same page .

My successful 90 days report online certainly threw me off course and only highlights the need for online reporting and immigration reporting to be consolidated imo ……… but that’s a topic for another thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I wonder why I don't have to ask these type of moronic questions. I am coming to Thailand for two decades on different visas, including Non-OA, Non-O, education, tourist (except business or smart visa), visa exempt etc. Did visa run, border run also. Stayed for one year without leaving Thailand, stayed for 15-days to 9 months continuously. Never had any issue getting my extension or 90-day reporting. Never had any confusion about when I have to report 90-day. My conclusion is members in this forum are getting dumber and dumber. Is it the age or low quality visitors?

We bow to your infinite knowledge but you didn’t answer the question .

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

We bow to your infinite knowledge but you didn’t answer the question .

Your post does not deserve an answer. I am not here to resolve disagreement between friends but for my entertainment posting in response to moronic posts. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So if someone entered on a 45 day visa exempt, extended 30 days and after 15 applied for an O visa then an extension on day 80 of that O visa ?, that would be 45 + 30 + 80 that could be 155 days before the 90 days clock starts ?

Not doubting you @DrJack54 as your post is what my immigration have done albeit in my case is less than 90 days.

I entered on a 30, extended for 30, swapped to non O with 20+ days left, and when granted the visa (well before end of the 30-day ext) had to report address same day…. so this was less than 90 days since entering Thailand but would take me to the end of the visa, before year extension. 

To be completely honest I did not even bother to read the previous comments (so some people might have gotten it correct, but the brief scan I did of the responses showed most were FAR from the mark ????

Here's how it works sports fans
IF you enter on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry THEN you switch that to a 90 day Non-O visa in country you DO NOT do any 90 day reporting until you get your FIRST yearly extension. That's when most offices put a small paper in your passport showing you WHEN your first 90 day report is due

first 90 day report.png

• Thanks 2