To settle an argument - when does 90 days start ?

Answer to OP's question is simple: The 90-day address report would be due 89 days after entry UNLESS, at the time of conversion to a Non-O the involved Immigration Office happens to provide you with a new reporting date via a new TM47 Receipt of Notification.

15 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The 90 days starts the moment you enter Thailand.

That is not true, I entered Thailand on the 26th Aug 2022 and my first 90 day report is due on 1st Feb 2023.

There are circumstances when the clock can be reset.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

To be completely honest I did not even bother to read the previous comments (so some people might have gotten it correct, but the brief scan I did of the responses showed most were FAR from the mark ????

Here's how it works sports fans
IF you enter on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry THEN you switch that to a 90 day Non-O visa in country you DO NOT do any 90 day reporting until you get your FIRST yearly extension. That's when most offices put a small paper in your passport showing you WHEN your first 90 day report is due

first 90 day report.png

It looks like they did the visa and extension in one go, Oct to Jan is about 15 months.

Friend of mine did visa exempt to Non O on marriage early Nov and was told to come back before visa expired to do extension.

I think the answer to my initial question is:

None of those, but possibly c) ????

Entering on a visa exempt, obtaining an extension to that and applying for an O visa ………. none of these allow a stay of more than 90 days  and therefore do not trigger the 90 days countdown , MORE being the key word ( although some IO’s might start the 90 day clock on applying for an O visa….. hence my c) comment above.)

I indeed entered on Sept 2nd and my first 90 day report is due Feb 18th some 170 days since i entered Thailand but 90 days since i applied for retirement extension from the O visa ( Nov 21st ).

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Entering on a visa exempt, obtaining an extension to that and applying for an O visa ………. none of these allow a stay of more than 90 days  and therefore do not trigger the 90 days countdown

Exactly.

Many folk doing the "enter visa exempt or tv followed by extension (30 days) followed by non O.

The first 12 month extension starts their 90 count 

My USA friends last Xmas entered visa exempt + 30 day extension+ covid extension. 

Clearly longer than 90 days. 

90 day report not required. 

12 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days – สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง – Immigration Bureau

This is the key to my question.

Some IO’s will use applying for Non imm O as the starting point while others will wait for the first extension, which is OVER 90 days, to enable the 90 days countdown.

Makes no real difference just highlights the inconsistency in IO procedures.

Thanks to all.

To my knowledge, it varies between immigration offices or provinces. Some immigration offices resets the 90 day reporting when domestically applying for O-visa or extending the stay, others counts from entry date and continue independently of extensions of stay.

The immigration office I use resets the 90-days reporting.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, MJCM said:

Our local IO resets the 90 day report date on every YEAR extension.

My IO in Phitsanulok does also.

My recent Retirement Extension was due on 7th December. I went on 30th November and it was done until 7th Dec 2023.

My next 90 day report is due on 27th February = 90 days from the Extension being granted, not from the renewal date.

So now 90 days on 27th May, 25th August, and 24th November, which can be 7 days late on 1st December. What a palaver.

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

To my knowledge, it varies between immigration offices or provinces. Some immigration offices resets the 90 day reporting when domestically applying for O-visa or extending the stay, others counts from entry date and continue independently of extensions of stay.

The immigration office I use resets the 90-days reporting.

Very true.

Only one thing consistent with immigration offices in Thailand.

and that's inconsistency with other offices.

One size does not fit all,  it should do,   but it don't.

TIT.

• Like 1

Was at Chaeng Wattana yesterday - friend received his 90 day NON-O.  He converted from visa exempt and entered 10 November.

His 90 day NON-O expiry date is 90 days from application submission.

Having seen this thread just the day before, we stopped by the 90 day reporting area (Counter A) where I spoke to an officer there.

Was told no need to do a 90 day report before applying for an annual extension at which time, as part of the process, they would provide a 90 day reporting receipt advising when the 90 day report is due.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Thanks 2