URGENT - VAT SCAM at large - advice please . . . .

TorquayFan

Eisfeld - thanks that's another piece of the jigsaw - she was on 'Line' at the time. Yes the artwork was a blue background and Govt. type 'logo'.

She was very upset originally and really thought the VAT were after her ! But with the help from here we have put the pieces together .and she's changing the a/c and PIN today.

Yes lesson learned and as I told her, 'you got off lightly'. She won't be listening to similar or clicking any Apps again I'm sure !!

BTW the account was empty after the B4,500 was taken.

ATB

• Thanks 1

Real agents of the govt don't call and collect over the phone.

Any app downloaded can skim all data, past and present from the phone including copying key strokes from the future log ins.

Make sure you delete the app and clean the phone if any virus that was probably installed.

Change pin numbers at the bank but not on that phone.

Contact the bank and any credit card apps you have and change those pin numbers too. 

To update the Police and Bank can do nothing to help - I feel sorry for those who have lost large sums to this scam.

Myran and Dan - your giving me the answers and I'm just getting to the questions LOL

Great ! Q1 - will a new SIM card help ? Q2 - is a Factory reset available at one of these expert Phone shops? Q3 - the phone is a 'VIVO' android.

Poor Wife seems wiped out by the Police experience, but we will try to delete that APP a bit later

A factory reset can be done through the phone's settings. Just remember to save any information, numbers, pictures, etc. that you don't want to lose, as the phone will get completely wiped. I don't think a new SIM is strictly necessary, but simply deleting the app won't be enough, as it might have installed other stuff that you can't see.

If unsure, go to a phone shop you trust and they'll help you.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

To update the Police and Bank can do nothing to help - I feel sorry for those who have lost large sums to this scam.

Insist on an investigation. At least.

25 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Great ! Q1 - will a new SIM card help ? Q2 - is a Factory reset available at one of these expert Phone shops? Q3 - the phone is a 'VIVO' android.

A1 - no.

A2 - do it yourself, it's easy to do via settings apps. A Youtube video can help. Make a backup before - again, Youtube videos. The reason why I don't like these "expert" phone shops is that on a few occasion I've whitnessed these people installing malware on the phones are copying private data. I don't trust them a bit. Maybe ask the daughter or other young relatives/friends to help? Should have a little more more knowledge of modern stuff hopefully.

A3 - not a question?

Hi. We have deleted the APP then changed the pin number at the Bank. And secured some help at a serious computer repair shop where the Owner Lady speaks enough English so all should be sorted out basically. Wife much relieved and we'll set up further checks asap. 

Thanks to all for help . . . .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

She can definitely file a police report, and then the police will go after it, of course they work slow...

3 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Q2 - is a Factory reset available at one of these expert Phone shops?

You can just do it yourself in the settings, just Google how to do it if you don't find the option.

Be aware that this deletes all data from the phone, so backup photos (might be automatically backed up by Google) etc. before doing it.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

If she reports this to the police, the bank can trace where the money was transferred to, and freeze the receiving account, usually the account belong to another poor soul who sold their account to the scammer, by the time anything is done the scammer would have moved the money out 

On 12/18/2022 at 7:53 PM, digbeth said:

If she reports this to the police, the bank can trace where the money was transferred to, and freeze the receiving account

A bank cannot just freeze the account of another bank's customer.  From what the OP is now reporting, as a result of speaking to her bank and the police, it sounds a though she may have made the transfer herself, hence their not being able to do anything about it.

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Funds that are not in her bank account cannot be frozen!

This is not true. Banks will under certain circumstances freeze funds upon request by law enforcement.

I'm well aware of that, and what I posted is true!   I said that funds that are not in her account cannot be frozen by her bank.  If she has a nil balance there's nothing to be frozen there.

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm well aware of that, and what I posted is true!   I said that funds that are not in her account cannot be frozen by her bank.  If she has a nil balance there's nothing to be frozen there.

I'm obviously talking about the funds that wer syphoned to another account and not freezing funds in the origin account that are not there...

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A bank cannot just freeze the account of another bank's customer.  From what the OP is now reporting, as a result of speaking to her bank and the police, it sounds a though she may have made the transfer herself, hence their not being able to do anything about it.

It wouldn't be her bank freezing the funds, it would be the receiving bank.

Any suggested "app" by caller installed after the phone call by your wife ??? Or even an "app" could be installed before receiving that phone call. An app by email or other ways.

Her phone itself can't be a problem but the installed app stealing data. 

Edited by The Theory

On 12/16/2022 at 2:50 AM, swm59nj said:

Somehow your account got compromised . Somehow someone got the account number.  All you can basically do is change the account number.  From the call you received . If it was related somehow someone got access to your personal information also. You  will probably never know how it happened or who was responsible. 
About five years ago both my credit and debit cards from the same bank in the states had false charges. Both my cards were in my possession.  Never knew what happened. 

That happened to me a few months back. My bank stopped my platinum card as it had been used in the US somewhere. That card I use for airline traveling only and hadnt used in ages due to Covid., Yhe card was in a safe place, and I never use my phone or email for banking.. Obvious answer for me was that the bank itself had been compromised. Which they would not admit.  

On 12/16/2022 at 1:09 PM, TorquayFan said:

If you can't do a reset on your smartphone by yourself, you should do all your bank business in person at the nearest bank branch. 

Speedhump- you are wrong - the first thing Wife did was admit she felt really silly. What she said was true and the Police and the Bank confirmed it's happened before.

Theory - to confirm, she received the phone call and was asked to hold on and also asked to touch the icon on the screen while she waited. The phone then went strange for a minute. I guess that was the App uploaded.

We have found that App and deleted it. The Bank App for her internet banking has been cancelled and a new one installed. Interestingly, they rang again yesterday and received short shrift !! I'm guessing they did that because they had lost their access. Clever sods . . . .

Burma thanks for that link and thanks all !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Speedhump- you are wrong - the first thing Wife did was admit she felt really silly. What she said was true and the Police and the Bank confirmed it's happened before.

Theory - to confirm, she received the phone call and was asked to hold on and also asked to touch the icon on the screen while she waited. The phone then went strange for a minute. I guess that was the App uploaded.

We have found that App and deleted it. The Bank App for her internet banking has been cancelled and a new one installed. Interestingly, they rang again yesterday and received short shrift !! I'm guessing they did that because they had lost their access. Clever sods . . . .

Burma thanks for that link and thanks all !!

Deleting the app in NOT enough! You need to do a complete factory reset. There are different resets, use the one that complete resets the phone to factory status. Not the one that saves personal information like contacts, photos etc.

Edited by Captor
  • Like 2

Tell wife not to take this personally.  Scammers are getting good.  I almost got scammed a month ago in USA.  Got a call saying it was google and why hadn't I finished my Google business profile or account?  They knew my name and address and business name.  They needed to confirm my phone number so sent a code that looked like from Google or maybe it was.  I did give them the code but them they asked for email and I got a smelly wiff so asked them to prove they were from Google.   I hung up and went to Google and changed my password.  I don't know what they were attempting.  Indian sounding guy. And maybe their were 2 guys.    I don't use Google for much.