Have you had high cholesterol  – How successful have you been in lowering your numbers .

backstreet

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

35 - 40%, smart guy. Fat intake has nothing to do with weight loss, I am living proof. It's why I put you on ignore some time ago as an annoying troll, pick nits somewhere else.

35 - 40% isn't a small amount of fat for the record, but it's helped you get down from being obese. You put loads of people on ignore because you're so fragile and can't take opposing views

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 12:49 PM, BigStar said:

After a few years, I got my Thai gf to stop eating rice, except rarely in small portions. Cut back on sugary anything.

That's been my proudest (and most difficult, lol) achievement. Worked quite well for her, lost a lot of excess weight.

Previously, I'd also got her going to a gym and seriously exercising. She had some athletic ability, so that came rather naturally. She came to enjoy being fit. Eventually she also wanted to look as fit as possible, and had added in a yoga class, so she started intermittent fasting w/ an 8-hour eating window. So she's in fantastic shape, esp. for her age, and her numbers have been great for years. Loves to wear yoga tights when out, since she can do so gracefully.

It's been mind-boggling to her friends. In the early days they all thought she was sick.

Can you post a picture of her in her yoga tights please? ????

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

are you a low fat guy?

check out sten ekberg's latest video. he tried another crazy stunt. 100 tbsp of butter in 10 days.

High carb low fat, works great contrary what some say on here who like eating fat. i might watch that Ekberg vid, usually i avoid ekberg and berg

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

High carb low fat, works great contrary what some say on here who like eating fat. i might watch that Ekberg vid, usually i avoid ekberg and berg

I've changed diets. I was on low carb.

Now I eat a fair amount of carbs, a fair amount of fat, and also fairly high protein.

I'm not low anything anymore. I love all macronutrients equally.

I only pay attention to the good fats vs bad fats, good carbs vs bad carbs. 

One thing I noticed is that many experts and doctors on youtube do contradict and sometimes even debate each other.

There is by no means a general consensus of what the best diet is.

The other thing is I don't even check my blood work.

So for those 2 reasons I will not push my ideas on anyone. 

I just take in information from different sources and then go with my gut. 

So if you want to do high carb low fat, who am I to twist your arm?

Edited by save the frogs

13 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I've changed diets. I was on low carb.

Now I eat a fair amount of carbs, a fair amount of fat, and also fairly high protein.

I'm not low anything anymore. I love all macronutrients equally.

I only pay attention to the good fats vs bad fats, good carbs vs bad carbs. 

One thing I noticed is that many experts and doctors on youtube do contradict and sometimes even debate each other.

There is by no means a general consensus of what the best diet is.

The other thing is I don't even check my blood work.

So for those 2 reasons I will not push my ideas on anyone. 

I just take in information from different sources and then go with my gut. 

So if you want to do high carb low fat, who am I to twist your arm?

You should get blood work done though, earlier the better to confirm you're on the right track. If you leave it much later you end up going on these extreme keto\atkins and IF type diets, unnecessary if you are careful along the way.

Interesting in that vid that the American Heart Assocation says max 5% fat a day

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You should get blood work done though, earlier the better to confirm you're on the right track. If you leave it much later you end up going on these extreme keto\atkins and IF type diets, unnecessary if you are careful along the way.

Interesting in that vid that the American Heart Assocation says max 5% fat a day

I was very overweight and did go on a rather extreme (I suppose you could call it that) keto/IF diet. Not OMAD though. I had 2 meals a day. 

When I got my weight down to being quite slim, I decided to try to reintroduce some carbs because I came to the conclusion that Keto is a good intervention, but not ideal for a permanent diet.

One reason I came to this conclusion is that folks on Keto have to supplement with electrolyte powders. I thought it might be more natural to get sufficient electrolytes from food than powders. 
I haven't gained back the weight. I've remained fairly slim. With no resistance training.

If I start resistance training, I will post a link to my Instagram (just kidding. I don't have an Instagram). 
For the blood work, I'm concerned that doctors are trigger happy with the statins. I'm not convinced the levels of cholesterol they claim are high are actually dangerous. I prefer to avoid getting on the radar of the medical system.

Since I lost a lot of weight and kept it off, I think I'm in much better health than several years ago. 

So that's my situation.

Yeah regarding the American Heart Association ... I don't know how to break it you gently but you can't necessarily rely on those folks to give you the truth and nothing but the truth. 

Sorry that was a bit long-winded. Feel free to put me on ignore.

Edited by save the frogs

On 12/16/2022 at 10:57 AM, HuskerDo2 said:

My cholesterol was about what yours is. After 6 months of 40mg of Rosuvastatin it was more than cut in half. The doctor then also started me on 10 mg of Ezetimibe which dropped it even lower. I fell SO much better than before I started the Rosuvastatin.

Statins will drop your 'bad' lipids numbers pretty much overnight. Not sure how a pill can make you feel better since, in my experience, high lipids by themselves didn't make me feel bad.

Are you exercising as well? Dietary changes? Popping pills is the lazy doctor's way of filling the pharmaceutical company's coffers while not doing much to keep you out of a premature coffin.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 11:15 AM, HuskerDo2 said:

You list recommendations on how to lower your cholesterol. Take that with a grain of salt. For 25 years I didn't eat red meat. Only fish and chicken. I exercised 5 days a week for at least an hour (weights and cardio).  I walked 3 miles 4 times a week and never smoked. I was never overweight.  The only vice I have is I like my beer. 

Even tho I was doing everything right I still had high cholesterol. So, I listened to the doctor and took the meds he prescribed. Now I'm ok. Healthy living did nothing for me. My issue was all hereditary.

Along with a short bout on statins, I dropped fried food, all dairy and all alcohol from my diet. I also rode my bicycle around 40-50 km/week. Subsequent blood work showed that in less than 3 weeks, I had cut bad cholesterol in half. The doctor said that statins probably accounted for the bulk of that reduction. I maintain the healthy diet and exercise and plan on stopping the crutch of statins after 6 months. I'll have tests done at that point and repeat after 3 months.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, save the frogs said:

cyclists seem rather fit to me. 

They can be. Casual cycling's better than nothing, of course. But it's not really exercise. 

It's amusing what people claim is exercise. Housework is popular with fat ladies.

you might be underestimating the power of simple walking.

Not at all. You walking all day looking for prey and occasionally sprinting? Would that be to capture Thai women? Seems an overestimation of how easy they are to find and a misunderstanding of who's really the prey.????

here's an obsession in the fitness community to have a perfect body. these guys post pictures of themselves on social media to inflate their egos.

Definitely. An unlimited supply of young men buy into the image promoted by the fitness indusry. Eventually they get injured and give up for various reasons. So it's important to drop out of the "fitness community" geared for wannabe Arnolds and learn to achieve functional fitness with health for the long haul.

But most here still get what little they know from fitness sites and will quote ignorance from hack fitness writers as if it's gospel.

it's way too much work to try to have a perfect body and it's not really necessary to be healthy. 

A straw man argument forming your overall excuse. You don't actually know healthy you are anyway, so the point's moot, innit?

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

35 - 40% isn't a small amount of fat for the record, but it's helped you get down from being obese. You put loads of people on ignore because you're so fragile and can't take opposing views

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I haven't gained back the weight. I've remained fairly slim. With no resistance training.

The purpose of resistance training isn't to lose weight or to help you avoid getting fat. It won't do that. You can google the importance of resistance training in general and for seniors specifically and discover the benefits. Also discover some stats on falls in seniors and the consequences.

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Yeah regarding the American Heart Association ... I don't know how to break it you gently but you can't necessarily rely on those folks to give you the truth and nothing but the truth. 

Exactly. Note how nothing has been learned from the COVID debacle. I've given some references about the bias in these quasi-gov't sites above. Outdated advice from the 1950s.

4 hours ago, save the frogs said:

who? bigstar? has he posted any pics of his body on here or links to his instagram?

I've made no such boast. I do look in good shape, however. That follows from leading a fitness lifestyle for many years. Training for aesthetics doesn't motivate most people for long. That's why all those young men who once worked out are now old fat couch sitters with bellies and man boobs, chasing docs and meds.

Edited by BigStar

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I've made no such boast. I do look in good shape, however. That follows from leading a fitness lifestyle for many years. Training for aesthetics doesn't motivate most people for long. That's why all those young men who once worked out are now old fat couch sitters with bellies and man boobs.

If I knew then what I know now, I would not have persisted with that Bullworker.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

35 - 40%, smart guy. Fat intake has nothing to do with weight loss, I am living proof. It's why I put you on ignore some time ago as an annoying troll, pick nits somewhere else.

Good idea. However, it's a public service to counter the noise from such trolls. I finally did my first one on ignore a couple weeks ago. Clearned out a lot of the pollution in the community forum for me.

13 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

If I knew then what I know now, I would not have persisted with that Bullworker.

The risk of injury is high among wannabe Arnolds, another reason for dropping out.

Though there are exceptions, notably the pros, those continuing into the long haul just try to stay in shape while they focus on their academics, careers, and families. This can be done with much greater safety.

That's been my case. I've never actually enjoyed exercise, and I also always have something else I'd prefer doing. I often procrastinate, putting it off even until late evening when time's run out. (The schedule rules all, gotta stick to it.) I do it because I know what happens if I don't do it. I keep sessions short but intense.

Edited by BigStar

41 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The risk of injury is high among wannabe Arnolds, another reason for dropping out.

Though there are exceptions, notably the pros, those continuing into the long haul just try to stay in shape while they focus on their academics, careers, and families. This can be done with much greater safety.

That's been my case. I've never actually enjoyed exercise, and I also always have something else I'd prefer doing. I often procrastinate, putting it off even until late evening when time's run out. (The schedule rules all, gotta stick to it.) I do it because I know what happens if I don't do it. I keep sessions short but intense.

Never could do the 'working out' thingy.  Use to laugh when people asked me "where I 'worked out'."  If friends heard them ask, they'd bust up laughing, knowing I'm a LPOS.

Answer was "at work" ... ???? Use to work at a steel mill / foundry, so was basically lifting weights for 8 hr a day, 5 days a week.  As I stated, those wt/ht charts are non-applicable to me.  Want to bulk up, get a job where you are listing 100-150 lbs more than a few times every minute.

Edited by KhunLA

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Use to work at a steel mill / foundry, so was basically lifting weights for 8 hr a day, 5 days a week.  As I stated, those wt/ht charts are non-applicable to me. 

Oh, the effects of the steel mill have stayed with you until today. Doesn't appear so from your numbers, however. One of the effects of hard physical labor, as Gary Taubes notes in relation to a study of lumberjacks, is that it may make you fatter, 'cause it creates more of an appetite. Ordinary exercise may well do that as well, one reason it's not effective for losing weight.

What does caliper test say about your percentage of bodyfat? Would that also be invalid? Other things at home, or ask your doc next time for a test.

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-measure-body-fat#waist-circumference

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Want to bulk up, get a job where you are listing 100-150 lbs【68 kg】 more than a few times a minute.

With some exceptions, notably pros, only young men want to bulk up and cut. It's a totally different game at age 68.

image.png.bc551679903ce275db24f79683ebe4a2.png

Edited by BigStar

20 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

No. No pics. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Some just take the thousand words.

And some such as yourself mainly just troll for the satisfaction that trolls get from trolling. Go ahead and post some of your swimsuit poses, swim king. Speedo? Could be the start of a Swimsuit Edition thread for the like-minded.

Edited by BigStar

Try Keto diet ! Have look At Dr Berg on Youtube , stop all junk foods sugars + using so called vegetables oils / canola oils . Use Organic extra virgin olive ???? oils for cooking and drink 2 table spoons per day Keto is best way + exercise walking etc,. Avoid alcohol if you can or limit consumption low % Worked for me no issues again cholesterol or zero diabetes,  still eat occasionally pizza etc, up to you your health. 

Edited by Mad mick
  • Haha 1

no drugs ..  they treat symptoms not causes

"do" eat good fats    olive oil ,coconut oil, grass fed butter, ghee, whole organic pasture raised eggs ( I eat 4 a day ) avocados

organic grass fed beef and not the lean cuts ,,,, also contains tons of zinc..   along with oysters ...   wild salmon...  tons and tons of green leafy veg, macadamia nuts ..   don't forget the  ACV ....stay far far away from processed oils ,,  canola, vegetable, sunflower, corn... all chemically processed and  GMO

no sugar ..   zero nada  none  that means no bread / pasta    skip beans     seeds are not good either

exercise    and get your blood work checked to include particle size .  small dense LDL is what plaques   u can have a total cholesterol count of  290  and not be in any risk     and  try intermittent fasting  minimum 18 hrs a pop

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

My cholesterol was always normal up until four years ago.  I exercise regularly and my diet has not changed.  I’m not overweight.  
Doctor I was seeing in USA  told me to try to make adjustments to my diet.  Which did not help. 

Then I moved to Bangkok.  I had my yearly physical at Bumrungard.   Cholesterol was still high.  The doctor had no explanation so she referred me to an Endocrinologist there. 
The endocrinologist did not think the issue was from diet.  She said body just  changes because of age.  Also back in 1988 to 1989 I had to have five months of chemotherapy.  Which she said might have influenced this as a long term after effect.  
I was put on a non statin type drug at first that didn’t help very much.  So it was changed to the statin Livalo.  The Livalo has controlled my cholesterol to normal levels. 

But I have to take coq10 to control the muscle ache side effects from the drug.  And I have to have blood work taken every three months.  
Cholesterol issues are not always caused by diet as I always thought. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

And some such as yourself mainly just troll for the satisfaction that trolls get from trolling. Go ahead and post some of your swimsuit poses, swim king. Speedo? Could be the start of a Swimsuit Edition thread for the like-minded.

As you said, my swim regime is certainly-better-than-nothing.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2022 at 10:57 AM, HuskerDo2 said:

My cholesterol was about what yours is. After 6 months of 40mg of Rosuvastatin it was more than cut in half. The doctor then also started me on 10 mg of Ezetimibe which dropped it even lower. I fell SO much better than before I started the Rosuvastatin.

In the US working before retirement cholesterol at 247. Put on Lipitor, dropped to 147. then 2005, 5 by-passes (seems there an inherited problem). Retired, everything fine, exercising, continued here on Atorvastatin. 2015 heart attack. Stent plays two angioplasties (seems that where the bypasses where done formed scare tissue narrowing the blood flow). Cardiologist care, she also put me on Ezetrol. Last check up 91 up from 71. Stopped the cream cheese ... now back to 71. Excecise has added to the background, maybe 2023 walking! Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Waiting for the big one! 

Told it runs in my  family like everyone I have my weakness.  

Whenever anyone looks at me and hear my cholesterol number 240, I'm not overweight,  exercise, they started me on Lipitor I was 45, when all set and done at 55 I was up to 20 Mg, with regular blood test for side affects.  No insurance after retirement I went full into exercise but love that Thai crispy pork and chicken skill.  Don't smoke or drink after addicted to ice cream and potato chips. ???? at best I got it down to 210?  So I started on a few generic and took regular blood settle on one called Betastatin as mentioned started at 5 blood test to get it to 160 I was up to 40mg everything was fine then two years I started to feel funny my arms felt sore aching as if I lifted weights for hours then at night cramps in funny places I remember my mother having these problems was taken off. It got so bad one night decided to get off it and see results within days I started to feel better today I'm pain free also no craps.  

July I was back home through my medicare got all the test reason Doctor said you look sick drop so much weigh but result were all good except cholesterol 245, though him my problem with pill he said common,  given no alternatives except work harder and diet more. That I made the right decision to stop that continuing on the statin might have killed me.

Edited by thailand49
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

As you said, my swim regime is certainly-better-than-nothing.

And rather than trolling you could make yourself useful by enlightening us as to how much better with the pics of your swimsuit poses. Speedo? You could also post your numbers, as I and some others have.

18 minutes ago, BigStar said:

And rather than trolling you could make yourself useful by enlightening us as to how much better with the pics of your swimsuit poses. Speedo? You could also post your numbers, as I and some others have.

That's OK. You are sufficiently enlightened.

21 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

That's OK. You are sufficiently enlightened.

You see, I speak for the vast number of inquiring but unenlightened minds on the forum in search of better health and fitness. Why shouldn't they profit from your example and attempt to emulate it, so achieving a similar lean, fit appearance and good numbers for themselves as well? And this would counteract your image as merely a hypocritical troll suggesting that others should do what you yourself won't--after touting your long swimming career. Speedo?

Edited by BigStar