British woman breaks nearly every bone in face in Thailand

webfact

27 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

I don't get your post.

A girl is in bits in a foreign hospital. 

Is your post trying to be funny...make a joke of this tragedy? 

Seriously bad taste man if you are. 

I won't change my humor because you don't get it.

Take it easy and try to relax a little.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It didn't work for me either.

Everybody "gets" it........it's just not in the slightest bit amusing.

It's just a thoroughly crass attempt at "humor".

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You're not well man.

Your sense of humour?

If you actually this is a topic for humour....then you need to get help.

Sick post.

Edited by harleyclarkey
Expanded post

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Family should pay the bills and take it out her inheritance, why should strangers pay

begs the question exactly, why should strangers pay? Parents/Sister, first line of relatives, closest friends & can't get 50K together?

So easy today for people to abuse the 'Go-Fund' me option.

Nothing to lose, right?

Edited by Straight8

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

An inane assertion posted by someone who knows nothing about the business.   The insurance industry is highly regulated and if it was a scam wouldn't still be around. Somewhere in the region of 90% of all insurance claims are paid out to the claimants/policy holders, and when you need it, you'll find that it isn't a scam 

Mine paid out when I needed it, even though they could have refused to based on an omission I made, which they knew about.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

8 hours ago, Onerak said:

While posting you comments, please don't post comments like "I won't fund her GoFundMe campaign". Nobody really wants to know that what you would do. It's a very bad situation. Every time I ride a bike as a passenger in hired motor bike, I am scared as hell and limit my ride to the back alleys (sois) only. People make mistake and land in a bad situation like this but there is nothing to rejoice about that. 

Having been terrified by a m'bike taxi ride I only rode with my wife as driver, or by myself.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its easier for sanctimonious posters to victim blame... this forum is full of ‘em.... 

That said: It would be interesting to know exactly what level of cover the lady had and what excuse is being used by the insurance company to wriggle out of payment. 

The blame isn't for the accident. It's for not being insured to be on a m'bike. People are responsible for themselves in LOS- it's not a nanny state.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

She said: "Jo has been looking forward to this holiday for so long, she has taken time away from her career for the first time ever and was going to New Zealand after Thailand.

Money for holidays but nothing for adequate insurance cover...

no lessons learnt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, steve187 said:

sorry should i have posted being on a m/cycle.

Yes, you should, and you shouldn´t have been talking about license, as my knowledge tells me that a passenger no need one. On the other hand, I can be wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, you should, and you shouldn´t have been talking about license, as my knowledge tells me that a passenger no need one. On the other hand, I can be wrong.

consider my a*se slapped for being a naughty boy

5 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

You're not well man.

Your sense of humour?

If you actually this is a topic for humour....then you need to get help.

Sick post.

For you and all the others who don't like this kind of humor:

The 74+ Best Emergency Room Jokes - ↑UPJOKE↑

It is well known that people in emergency rooms and other situations with dying people joke about it to make it easier to bear.

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For you and all the others who don't like this kind of humor:

The 74+ Best Emergency Room Jokes - ↑UPJOKE↑

It is well known that people in emergency rooms and other situations with dying people joke about it to make it easier to bear.

That joke was seriously in poor taste. I was going to give you a pass but since you are doubling down. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If, and I repeat, IF the motorcycle is registered, then she should be able to use the bikes compulsory insurance for some of her bills. I think it's 100k thb Max.

Then get herself out of hospital and back to the UK.

I agree with other posters, the roads are too dangerous here for novices.

Free credit card insurance is often as complete as insurance bought from the company direct. Still might not cover her as a passenger and this case it appears it did not. Wish her a fast recovery. I rode around Koh Samui in the eighties without proper insurance. In her case as a passenger only she has clearly made a mistake but many young people make much worse errors of judgement on a holiday such as this. 

Was she wearing the best helmet she could afford? Or any helmet at all? Was she an experienced rider? 

If riding a motorbike here, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.
Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times.
Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins. Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway.

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Medical Prisoner is a bit harsh.  The unfortunate lady probably did zero research

on traffic conditions in Thailand and was in fact a " prisoner " of her youth.

" Youth is not yet capable of judging risk " in the words of BF Skinner.

Motorcycle rental companies should be forced to ascertain proof of insurance before

renting out their bikes. But that will never happen here.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Was she wearing the best helmet she could afford? Or any helmet at all? Was she an experienced rider? 

If riding a motorbike here, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.
Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times.
Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins. Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway.

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

She wasn’t riding, she was the pillion passenger, her boyfriend was riding

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sometimes its better to stay silent and have people suspect you are stupid than to speak out and remove all doubt !!....  

She was a passenger on the motorcycle.... 

And people don’t ‘drive’ motorcycles, they ‘ride’ them !... 

Why not ?... whats wrong with a Tourist renting a motorcycle?

That is actually the law here...   but the point is moot, the injured lady was not riding and didn’t need a licence to ride pillion. 

So her likely equally inexperienced and probably unlicensed in motorcycles boyfriend was driving, with no experience or familiarity with the road conditions here.  Same bad outcome and doesn't change my view.

14 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

No doubt you've 'said it before'

Bust as others have also said before - as does the article,  she was not driving the motorcycle. 

She was pillion. 

Yes, likely the same inexperience as her and the same bad outcome.  

1 hour ago, newnative said:

So her likely equally inexperienced and probably unlicensed in motorcycles boyfriend was driving, with no experience or familiarity with the road conditions here.  Same bad outcome and doesn't change my view.

But does it change the view about insurance ??

Does that mean every time we get in a taxi in Thailand (or anywhere) we need to check that the driver is fully licensed ?...     Does it mean whenever we get on a motorcycle taxi we need to check that they rider is fully licensed ?...  

Is our insurance void if we use a motorcycle taxi ???

Many of us have been on the back of a moto-taxi - that may have well voided any insurance cover we have...  Did we ever double check that ??? 

Have we even thought about our own situations and potential mistakes before sanctimoniously handing down judgment ???

lots of questions... I’m wondering what the insurance used for ‘wiggle room’ to avoid payment ?

i.e. simply not covered if going on any motorcycle ?

• Love It 1

On 12/17/2022 at 6:14 AM, steve187 said:

sorry should i have posted being on a m/cycle.

the post was generic to all the posts that appear on here about being on a m/cycle with either no insurance, or not being covered by the insurance they do hold, or not having a licence, i would think it was not a very good helmet or was unfastened, Koh Samui is high on the list of places for m/cycle crashes.

I don't know anything about the accident but the rental helmets are never gonna save your face (or her shattered spine). They're not designed to.  It sounds like she had more than a fall but again I don't have the details.  I don't know how many budget travelers would buy a full face helmet if offered by the rental shops but maybe they could keep a few in stock for this purpose. For less then 1000 baht these kids could go home with the face they arrived with.  The rental shops should have to display crash photos too like they show when people get a Thai DL.  They post cancer patients photos on cigarettes even.  A little fear is a good thing.   I realize regulations are not good for business but maybe they can save a few lives (as if they cared).

• Thumbs Up 1