Could this corruption scandal signal the end of the EU ?

Social Media

24 minutes ago, nauseus said:

My first post had two links, not the BBC one. That first post is no longer on the board.

Then how the hell do you expect me to refer to it and reply?????

24 minutes ago, nauseus said:

This is a waste of time.

At last, we agree on something.

Unless, or rather until, you acknowledge and accept data and facts, unfortunately, it is likely to remain so.

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

Then how the hell do you expect me to refer to it and reply?????

At last, we agree on something.

Unless, or rather until, you acknowledge and accept data and facts, unfortunately, it is likely to remain so.

I didn't move it and I'm sure you know that.. 

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

I didn't move it and I'm sure you know that.. 

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am no good at solving cryptic puzzles.

Why don't you simply repost the links and/or direct me to them? I will then reply if necessary.

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am no good at solving cryptic puzzles.

Why don't you simply repost the links and/or direct me to them? I will then reply if necessary.

I suspect that the mods removed it because the source was suspect. Which, if true, kind of impeaches its bona fides.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Qatar now threatening the EU that this issue could harm energy talks.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/qatar-warns-brussels-bribery-allegations-could-impact-energy-deals-with-europe-11671381521

Oh dear. Terrible timing for the EU with the war in Ukraine and it's effects on energy supply. It never rains, but it pours.

Another reason for fossil fuel dependent nations to double their efforts to lessen their dependency on fossil fuels.

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Another reason for fossil fuel dependent nations to double their efforts to lessen their dependency on fossil fuels.

Or alternatively stop doing shady, corrupt deals (involving suitcases stuffed full of cash) with countries that supply your energy, ala the EU.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Or alternatively stop doing shady, corrupt deals (involving suitcases stuffed full of cash) with countries that supply your energy, ala the EU.

Oh, so now it's the EU that did it. Not just individual members. By that logic, what does that say about other governments where members are corrupt? I can think of one recent scandal involving a European country that is not a member of the EU.

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Oh, so now it's the EU that did it. Not just individual members. By that logic, what does that say about other governments where members are corrupt? I can think of one recent scandal involving a European country that is not a member of the EU.

Eva Kaili is Vice President of the European Parliament ????

Just now, JonnyF said:

Eva Kaili is Vice President of the European Parliament ????

In a case I'm thinking of the leader of a political party solicited a donation of  $200,000 from a private party to luxuriously refurbish the government flat where he lived.

And Eva Kalli is not Vice President of the European Parliament. She is one of 14 Vice Presidents. 

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

In a case I'm thinking of the leader of a political party solicited a donation of  $200,000 from a private party to luxuriously refurbish the government flat where he lived.

Not sure what you are talking about but this thread is about EU corruption, please stay on topic.

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And Eva Kalli is not Vice President of the European Parliament. She is one of 14 Vice Presidents. 

Correct, so that makes it OK then I suppose? Nothing to do with the EU, just individual member states ????. You're really on form today, laugh a minute ????

18 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Not sure what you are talking about but this thread is about EU corruption, please stay on topic.

Correct, so that makes it OK then I suppose? Nothing to do with the EU, just individual member states ????. You're really on form today, laugh a minute ????

It means that in virtually every government there will be some corrupt members. Sometimes very high up, like a Prime Minister, sometimes lower like 1 of 14 vice presidents. But just because a few members are corrupt, that doesn't mean that the government or organization in question is corrupt.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

It means that in virtually every government there will be some corrupt members. Sometimes very high up, like a Prime Minister, sometimes lower like 1 of 14 vice presidents. But just because a few members are corrupt, that doesn't mean that the government or organization in question is corrupt.

It's not only her though is it.

https://www.politico.eu/article/inside-fight-impunity-brussels-ngo-qatar-corruption-scandal-european-parliament-panzeri-kaili-giorgi/

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20221217-partner-of-ousted-european-parliament-vp-eva-kaili-confesses-to-his-role-in-qatar-graft-case

She is the tip of the iceberg. The rot runs deep, and the investigation hasn't even concluded yet. Of course the EU is corrupt, as I explained yesterday it is designed that way.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/07/03/this-is-what-eu-democracy-looks-like/

At least it's floating to the surface now for all to see.

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's not only her though is it.

https://www.politico.eu/article/inside-fight-impunity-brussels-ngo-qatar-corruption-scandal-european-parliament-panzeri-kaili-giorgi/

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20221217-partner-of-ousted-european-parliament-vp-eva-kaili-confesses-to-his-role-in-qatar-graft-case

She is the tip of the iceberg. The rot runs deep, and the investigation hasn't even concluded yet. Of course the EU is corrupt, as I explained yesterday it is designed that way.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/07/03/this-is-what-eu-democracy-looks-like/

At least it's floating to the surface now for all to see.

Empty allegations are all you've got. Repeating them doesn't make them any more valid. As for that spiked article, it begins with 

"<deleted> Twitter lost it again yesterday, after Brexit Party MEPs turned their backs in the European Parliament as musicians performed Ode to Joy, the EU’s not-quite-national anthem, to mark the beginning of the new parliamentary session."

And nothing in that article pointed to any corruption within the EU. 

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So what? ????

It seems not everyone is as accepting of corruption by EU Vice Presidents as you are.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63952993

image.png.059851a70f5098ac9bc1387aa69b992f.png

"So What"? ???? 

Classic.

If the EU was organizationally corrupt then it would be denying that there was a problem or obfuscating. Instead it's going after Kaili and associates swiftly and harshly as that portion of the BBC article you didn't quote makes clear.

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If the EU was organizationally corrupt then it would be denying that there was a problem or obfuscating. Instead it's going after Kaili and associates swiftly and harshly as that portion of the BBC article you didn't quote makes clear.

They can hardly deny there's a problem with all the evidence mounting up, you know, like suitcases stuffed full of cash. ????

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

They can hardly deny there's a problem with all the evidence mounting up, you know, like suitcases stuffed full of cash. ????

And you think that evidence just surfaced magically?  It was thanks to the Belgian police. You know, Belgium is the country that contains Brussels, the city that hosts the official seats of the "European Commission, Council of the European Union, and European Council, as well as a seat (officially the second seat) of the European Parliament."

https://www.google.com/search?q=where+is+eu+located+in+belgium&oq=where+is+eu+located+in+belgium&aqs=chrome..69i57.5951j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

7 minutes ago, candide said:

Deflection. Was she acting on behalf of the EP?

She was certainly acting on behalf of other members of the European Parliament who were also in on the corrupt scheme. Does every single member have to be involved before you consider it a problem of corruption within the EU? ????

It would seem other members of the EP realize how significant it is, even if you try to brush it under the carpet.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/european-parliament-lawmaker-denies-taking-bribes-qatar-lawyer-2022-12-13/

image.png.113f2fa4661df4cc2d8d412337f2336f.png

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And you think that evidence just surfaced magically?  It was thanks to the Belgian police. You know, Belgium is the country that contains Brussels, the city that hosts the official seats of the "European Commission, Council of the European Union, and European Council, as well as a seat (officially the second seat) of the European Parliament."

https://www.google.com/search?q=where+is+eu+located+in+belgium&oq=where+is+eu+located+in+belgium&aqs=chrome..69i57.5951j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yes the Belgian police did a great job investigating the corrupt MEP's. Well done.

It's a shame the EU themselves didn't have the same motivation/tenacity to report on the rampant corruption within their ranks. I wonder why? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes the Belgian police did a great job investigating the corrupt MEP's. Well done.

It's a shame the EU themselves didn't have the same motivation/tenacity to report on the rampant corruption within their ranks. I wonder why? 

So you know how the investigation began and what level of support the Belgian Police received from the EU?

"The rampant corruption within their ranks"? I think you need a reminder from the World News landing page:

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So you know how the investigation began and what level of support the Belgian Police received from the EU?

"The rampant corruption within their ranks"? I think you need a reminder from the World News landing page:

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1710358/european-union-eu-parliament-qatar-scandal-eva-kaili-roberta-metsola-commission-council

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Where in this article is it stated as a fact the there is rampant corruption in the EU?. They say it's possible there may be more corrupt members. Not that there are. And it doesn't say how many there possibly are. So, no, you stated it as a fact without having the evidence to back it up.

27 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Here, for your edification, is the meaning of 

rampant
adjective

UK 

/ˈræm.pənt/ US 

/ˈræm.pənt/

rampant adjective (INCREASING)

(of something bad) getting worse quickly and in an uncontrolled way:
rampant corruption
Rampant inflation means that our wage increases soon become worth nothing.
He said that he had encountered rampant prejudice in his attempts to get a job.
Disease is rampant in the overcrowded city.

57 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Empty allegations are all you've got. Repeating them doesn't make them any more valid. As for that spiked article, it begins with 

"<deleted> Twitter lost it again yesterday, after Brexit Party MEPs turned their backs in the European Parliament as musicians performed Ode to Joy, the EU’s not-quite-national anthem, to mark the beginning of the new parliamentary session."

And nothing in that article pointed to any corruption within the EU. 

The software removed a banned word. That word gives one an idea of what kind of site spiked-online is.

18 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The software removed a banned word. That word gives one an idea of what kind of site spiked-online is.

Did you check what word it was? Hardly hate speech, says more about the software then it does about Spiked. ????