Do You Sometimes Enjoy Being the “Token White Guy” in Asia? Do You Charge Money for Your Services?

GammaGlobulin

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO the main reason you are here is attention-seeking.

Are you so vain that you still think I am seeking your attention??? 

Anyway, truth be told, you are an excellent writer, or a writer of excellence. 

Obviously, I am not even half the writer you were, when you were in your prime, like Miss Jeane Brody. 

I canna spell, for one. 

You are older than I. So, in Thai culture, I should call you Pi. 

Take it easy, Man! 

I respect you. 

Remember when you corrected me? 

I had stated that plants require phosphorus. And you corrected me. You said that I meant phosphate. But, I did not mean phosphate. I meant phosphorus. 

By the way: The weather is now FINE for golf. Here up north, it's almost an autumn day. I am surprised that the leaves have not yet begun to turn color. 

Enjoy your golf outing during this glorious cool season. 

I used to love golfing in the month of October when the leaves were turning and the Canadian geese were landing on the green. 

I used to be a member at Waynesborough Country Club, way out on the Main Line. 

Take care, my friend. 

I wish you a very good afternoon on the links. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Are you so vain that you still think I am seeking your attention??? 

Anyway, truth be told, you are an excellent writer, or a writer of excellence. 

Obviously, I am not even half the writer you were, when you were in your prime, like Miss Jeane Brody. 

I canna spell, for one. 

You are older than I. So, in Thai culture, I should call you Pi. 

Take it easy, Man! 

I respect you. 

Remember when you corrected me? 

I had stated that plants require phosphorus. And you corrected me. You said that I meant phosphate. But, I did not mean phosphate. I meant phosphorus. 

By the way: The weather is now FINE for golf. Here up north, it's almost an autumn day. I am surprised that the leaves have not yet begun to turn color. 

Enjoy your golf outing during this glorious cool season. 

I used to love golfing in the month of October when the leaves were turning and the Canadian geese were landing on the green. 

I used to be a member at Waynesborough Country Club, way out on the Main Line. 

Take care, my friend. 

I wish you a very good afternoon on the links. 

I did not say you were seeking my attention. I said you were attention-seeking, by which I meant as many of the posters as could be garnered from ASEAN. Your motivations for doing so are not really mine to analyze.

I play and walk 9 holes of golf, starting at first light. Doing that, I can usually avoid the Thais, Koreans and Japanese, who seem to think playing as a 6-ball or 8-ball group, and taking 5 or 6 hours for 18 holes, is normal behavior.

Last week, I politely asked a group of Thais if I could hit off first, saying I would probably be quicker as a single. I was teeing off on the eighth hole as they were putting out on the third green.

I understand tokens are something Trump is selling at present.

Have a nice afternoon, take care.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I did not say you were seeking my attention. I said you were attention-seeking, by which I meant as many of the posters as could be garnered from ASEAN. Your motivations for doing so are not really mine to analyze.

I play and walk 9 holes of golf, starting at first light. Doing that, I can usually avoid the Thais, Koreans and Japanese, who seem to think playing as a 6-ball or 8-ball group, and taking 5 or 6 hours for 18 holes, is normal behavior.

Last week, I politely asked a group of Thais if I could hit off first, saying I would probably be quicker as a single. I was teeing off on the eighth hole as they were putting out on the third green.

I understand tokens are something Trump is selling at present.

Have a nice afternoon, take care.

Do you know George Fazio?

He designed this course:  https://www.pga.com/play/pa/paoli/waynesborough-country-club/0928800

https://www.yelp.com/biz/waynesborough-country-club-paoli

I just want to tell you:  Never go there.

I once was a member at this rinky-dink place.

Established in 1965.

In 1964, twelve far-sighted local business and professional men saw the need for a top flight, family-oriented country club in the Paoli area. Meeting at each other's homes, they conceived a club with first rate facilities that could be enjoyed by every member of the family. Today, the activities and facilities of Waynesborough Country Club accommodate the interests and requirements of over 600 members and their families. True to the planning and work of a dozen visionaries over 40 years ago, and with the tireless and imaginative efforts of dedicated officers and committee members in the intervening time, Waynesborough Country Club continues as a premier full-family country club.

The only good thing at this course are the geese, which you can kill at Christmas Time to have your Christmas Goose, and cook it at the clubhouse.

My advice to you is to stay off this course and read Dickens, instead.

On the plus side:

"A real 5 star country club. The golf course is immaculate and plays as a true test of championship golf. The course plays over 7000 yards from the tips and the course plays fast and long. Fairways are tight and fairly wide. Greens are amazing and very big. Easy to get lost in them and if you are a high spin player you will rip the ball off these greens.

I didn't like how many plugged lies my group got in the bunkers both off the tee and greenside, we had 5 in our group which seems a lot, but the one non plugged lie I had they played beautifully.

If you're fortunate to get the opportunity to play here, you'll enjoy it. A real special place!"

I have never been a joiner of anything.

This is why I hate all Country Clubs.

I respect your love of golf....

But...

This is why I hate golf:

image.jpeg.2e878b190d93817572f06d8dd51b4a33.jpeg

Do you see this nitwit bonnet he is sporting?

This is Fazio, the guy who designed the course.

Who in their right mind would ever hire a designer who had no style sense?

To my mind, this guy looks like a...

image.thumb.jpeg.38cf2fd3cff70af50a84c60679c89b43.jpeg

Anyway, I am too rough a person to play the refined game of golf.

I prefer to listen to others with their stories of holes in one, and how they caught a fish in the par-three pond.

Diving for balls was really what I loved to do most.

Enjoy your exercise, my friend....if we are still friends, which I doubt.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

I am a white guy in Pattaya,  one of thousands, so never chosen to be a "token white guy"  

I do seem to attract the attention of toddlers, they are just at right height for viewing my white legs  5555

WC Fields? 

Nobody enjoys ankle biters. 

6 hours ago, sezze said:

TBH , i never think about being a white guy , neither do i think about others in any shade . I never looked in the mirror thinking , damn i am a white guy . Neither did i ever looked at others thinking she is black , green , yellow or any other color . I do see the darker or lighter color , like he/she is African , he/she is Asian , or European , but i never think like in colors. Yes the background does do something , like a EU person is different then somebody from Asia or Africa , but not at all in the way you think . I personally think the simple way you think is just racist .

Virtue signaled.

Nothing in the OP struck me as racist.

41 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you know George Fazio?

He designed this course:  https://www.pga.com/play/pa/paoli/waynesborough-country-club/0928800

https://www.yelp.com/biz/waynesborough-country-club-paoli

I just want to tell you:  Never go there.

I once was a member at this rinky-dink place.

Established in 1965.

In 1964, twelve far-sighted local business and professional men saw the need for a top flight, family-oriented country club in the Paoli area. Meeting at each other's homes, they conceived a club with first rate facilities that could be enjoyed by every member of the family. Today, the activities and facilities of Waynesborough Country Club accommodate the interests and requirements of over 600 members and their families. True to the planning and work of a dozen visionaries over 40 years ago, and with the tireless and imaginative efforts of dedicated officers and committee members in the intervening time, Waynesborough Country Club continues as a premier full-family country club.

The only good thing at this course are the geese, which you can kill at Christmas Time to have your Christmas Goose, and cook it at the clubhouse.

My advice to you is to stay off this course and read Dickens, instead.

On the plus side:

"A real 5 star country club. The golf course is immaculate and plays as a true test of championship golf. The course plays over 7000 yards from the tips and the course plays fast and long. Fairways are tight and fairly wide. Greens are amazing and very big. Easy to get lost in them and if you are a high spin player you will rip the ball off these greens.

I didn't like how many plugged lies my group got in the bunkers both off the tee and greenside, we had 5 in our group which seems a lot, but the one non plugged lie I had they played beautifully.

If you're fortunate to get the opportunity to play here, you'll enjoy it. A real special place!"

I have never been a joiner of anything.

This is why I hate all Country Clubs.

I respect your love of golf....

But...

This is why I hate golf:

image.jpeg.2e878b190d93817572f06d8dd51b4a33.jpeg

Do you see this nitwit bonnet he is sporting?

This is Fazio, the guy who designed the course.

Who in their right mind would ever hire a designer who had no style sense?

To my mind, this guy looks like a...

image.thumb.jpeg.38cf2fd3cff70af50a84c60679c89b43.jpeg

Anyway, I am too rough a person to play the refined game of golf.

I prefer to listen to others with their stories of holes in one, and how they caught a fish in the par-three pond.

Diving for balls was really what I loved to do most.

Enjoy your exercise, my friend....if we are still friends, which I doubt.

George Fazio's main claim to fame is coming third to Ben Hogan and Lloyd Mangrum in an eighteen hole playoff for the 1950 US Open.

Many golf professionals turn their hand to golf course design after their playing careers are over. Some should have taken up woodworking or tiddlywinks instead. Fazio has some prestigious courses to his credit.

I have no doubt Waynesborough is a good golf course, many in America are. I got to play Pine Valley, Oakmont and La Cantera. Along with a number of public courses.

Call us acquaintances.

Do You Sometimes Enjoy Being the “Token White Guy” in Asia?

- No, I find it quite tiresome. However if accosted I try i to play along to avoid creating friction (see below).

Do You Charge Money for Your Services?

- Does being an extra in a Singapore TV show count? I think I got 60 Sing dollars to pretend to be a British soldier.

I once asked for 60,000 rupiah per hour to practice English with a local chap whilst I was in Bali (to get him to go away). He didn't seem too happy about that so I have refrained from doing that again as it creates unnecessary ill will.

12 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I think the OP is off his meds!

Either that or he's been drinking on an empty head.

I'm TOTALLY against drugs, my friend. 

Except, everyone should be grateful to live in the age of antibiotics and vaccines. 

Smallpox is no fun. This is the disease which makes one smaller. 

Thankfully, I have been inoculated. 

If Smallpox ever escapes the labs in North Korea, then everybody around the world will become shorter. 

Thankfully, the Gates Foundation is on the case,and we need not worry about this eventuality. 

44 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

George Fazio's main claim to fame is coming third to Ben Hogan and Lloyd Mangrum in an eighteen hole playoff for the 1950 US Open.

Many golf professionals turn their hand to golf course design after their playing careers are over. Some should have taken up woodworking or tiddlywinks instead. Fazio has some prestigious courses to his credit.

I have no doubt Waynesborough is a good golf course, many in America are. I got to play Pine Valley, Oakmont and La Cantera. Along with a number of public courses.

Call us acquaintances.

Oakmont sounds very familiar. 

Or, maybe I am thinking of St. Davids. 

The reason I don't like Waynesboro is that I can never remember how to spell its name. 

Also, in 1970, the club was full of new-rich types, prancing about. 

Watching new-rich duffers on a newly established golf course is like watching dogs shoot snooker ... 

One doesn't know whether to laugh or cringe. 

Oh, by the way... 

What do you think about the Agile course in Zhongshan? 

Take the ferry from HK to Zhongshan, and it once was paradise before Xi's time. 

Maybe I'll upload a few photos. 

34 minutes ago, Bazerino said:

I have a similar friend back home in the U.k, he's overweight, but he doesnt see himself as fat, i think hes a fat guy trapped in a skinny guys body......

Even worse, is when one is too thin yet perceives oneself as too fat. 

Maybe this is why Jack Sprat could eat no fat. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

I'm from Australia. The native Australian Aboriginals, when employing white Australians in their many and varied business enterprises, often call us polystyrene - 'white and disposable'. Hire a white-fella for a few months, then <deleted> him/her off and get another one.

In Thailand, I think we are pretty spoilt. It's sometimes like being a rock star. Locals are forever asking for photos. In rural places, sometimes people gape and stare like they are seeing a ghost. Blokes are always trying to buy you a beer. The women often give the impression that anything could happen.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I'm from Australia. The native Australian Aboriginals, when employing white Australians in their many and varied business enterprises, often call us polystyrene - 'white and disposable'. Hire a white-fella for a few months, then <deleted> him/her off and get another one.

In Thailand, I think we are pretty spoilt. It's sometimes like being a rock star. Locals are forever asking for photos. In rural places, sometimes people gape and stare like they are seeing a ghost. Blokes are always trying to buy you a beer. The women often give the impression that anything could happen.

C8H8 

I just wonder if they know much about polymerization. 

19 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Oakmont sounds very familiar. 

Or, maybe I am thinking of St. Davids. 

The reason I don't like Waynesboro is that I can never remember how to spell its name. 

Also, in 1970, the club was full of new-rich types, prancing about. 

Watching new-rich duffers on a newly established golf course is like watching dogs shoot snooker ... 

One doesn't know whether to laugh or cringe. 

Oh, by the way... 

What do you think about the Agile course in Zhongshan? 

Take the ferry from HK to Zhongshan, and it once was paradise before Xi's time. 

Maybe I'll upload a few photos. 

No thoughts at all, Hong Kong is the closest I have got to China, a few years ago.

I was a member at The National Golf Club in Australia for ten years.

The membership came down to three strata. The first was old money, who had good manners and could play quite well. They respected the traditions of the game.

The second was people like me, who could afford the membership and played there because it is the best golfing venue in Australia, with four courses of different architecture to choose from. And a lot of single markers to compete against.

The third group was new money, most of whom treated the staff like dirt beneath their feet, and had golf swings that would look better in a wood-chopping competition. Any putting errors were automatically the fault of the greenkeepers.

Perhaps needless to say the first two groups did not associate with the third.

There's no end to the ramblings and nonsensical topics posted just in order to be seen and heard and hope for relevance. Most times you post and then are the primary poster in replyin. Lay off the medicine and go out in the world and meet people and have real discussions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dan O said:

There's no end to the ramblings and nonsensical topics posted just in order to be seen and heard and hope for relevance. Most times you post and then are the primary poster in replyin. Lay off the medicine and go out in the world and meet people and have real discussions

Yes...please!! 

The guy seems to have mental health problems.  

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No thoughts at all, Hong Kong is the closest I have got to China, a few years ago.

I was a member at The National Golf Club in Australia for ten years.

The membership came down to three strata. The first was old money, who had good manners and could play quite well. They respected the traditions of the game.

The second was people like me, who could afford the membership and played there because it is the best golfing venue in Australia, with four courses of different architecture to choose from. And a lot of single markers to compete against.

The third group was new money, most of whom treated the staff like dirt beneath their feet, and had golf swings that would look better in a wood-chopping competition. Any putting errors were automatically the fault of the greenkeepers.

Perhaps needless to say the first two groups did not associate with the third.

Yes. There really ought to be a name for the newly rich who treat others like dirt. I think the French have a word for it. 

I don't mind the game of golf, per se, however I detest the status baggage that accompanys it, in Asia, particularly. 

Also, I don't like assenine, rediculously-colored golfing attire. 

If I could go back to the year 1970, at Waynesbarrow, then I would tee off in nothing but a jockstrap and yell fore! 

Also, I would make it a rule that all clubs be made of hickory. 

In addition, I would remove all ball washers from the course. I used to hate it while watching men so meticulously wash their balls at every tee.