Visa agent not responding to calls

On 12/28/2022 at 6:41 AM, BritTim said:

The agent might be offering money directly to the official who uses their discretion to waive seasoning. The agent and official would then be committing crimes. (Most likely, this would have no consequences for you in the unlikely event that the corruption was prosecuted.) For the safety of the agent and the official, it is important that they properly use the loopholes available to circumvent the anti corruption laws.

Actually it would impact the person if they don't have the required funds as indicated for that category and a check by immigration was done.

7 minutes ago, novacova said:

Nobody deserves to lose their passport in a foreign country, especially to an agent, though there are some here depend on, and encourage the use of agents even in a debased manner. And if one does get caught up in a failed situation due to an agent, then it’s no one’s fault but their own. Do the process right and legally on your own because it’s simple enough. Or take the risky advice that some of the goofy “laughers” are giving here on this site. In any case, ultimately you’re on your own. In the end no one going back you up but yourself.

Wise words of caution.

Do you actually know anybody who has been "caught up in a failed situation"?

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

....and you have hard evidence of many of those checks being done.

Please post details.

I only said it can have an impact on the visitor as it would if it were checked. If you haven't noticed the number of checks and extra verifications on some visa categories has increased in the last 6 months and is likely to continue    Whats the ratio of people found, no way of knowing . 

6 hours ago, Dan O said:

I only said it can have an impact on the visitor as it would if it were checked. If you haven't noticed the number of checks and extra verifications on some visa categories has increased in the last 6 months and is likely to continue    Whats the ratio of people found, no way of knowing . 

That's right @Dan Ospeculation and guessing. Nothing more, with no evidence.

7 hours ago, Dan O said:

There is no change of procedures at the IO's. Its true that some offices have been taking longer to issue 'visas' or length of stay, because there has been an influx of folks, like the Russions and others,  that has backed up the system. The offices are in some cases, like Jomtien soi 5 are being overwhelmed and are taking a longer time to get thru the paperwork?

On 12/27/2022 at 12:16 PM, Guderian said:

This is getting bizarre now. The agent just called me to say that Immigration has told her I need to get a new certificate from the bank as the original one is out of date. Well it wasn't out of date when I gave it to the agent, on the day the bank issued it, so did the agent misplace my paperwork or did Immigration do so, as they only seem to be processing it now, after 2 weeks. Nobody will admit anything, of course, and there's no point arguing about it. I pointed out to the agent that to get a new letter from the bank I'll need to have my passport back, so she claims she'll go to Immigration thsi afternoon and retrieve it for me. How can she make such a mess of it this year when everything went smoothly last year?

You are last on the agent's priority list.  Herself first.  She may be borrowing funds from you to cover other expenses knowing she'll get money back and EVENTUALLY take care of you.

My last agent after doing 3 visas successfully went MIA for a month like this before popping back up with everything ok.  What should have been 3 days was 30 to get my passport back.   But she avoided my calls and texts for almost 10 days PAST my date.  I had no idea if I was legal or not.

She also Caused me to miss my License test (which was I had waited a and planned out over a month after I should have gotten passport back. Caushing me to have to go to DLT 2 more times and re-purchase all my certs to take there again.

It was all very stressful.  So I know how you feel.  I hope it all works out soon for you.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

+1 

Some members here are very secure in their trust with agents and laugh off any possibilities that something can go wrong and get offended and defensive over it. Obsessing about being on top and one upping a disagreement may be a sign of worrying about an anonymous reputation. Neutrally here can go a long way.

I have no interest in ever using agents. This discussion board should be discouraging the use of them and not promote agents so much unless due to physical handicap or mental illness issues, especially by those that have been here for a while. But to each their own.

One agency who posted here seems to have their company in order, and I wanted or needed a visa agency, it would have been one like them. 

17 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Find it strange that folks delight in the misfortune of others, as evidenced by some of the replies. I don't use an agent but it doesn't bother me that others do. Who cares? Do they really deserve all the grief of losing a passport because they do? 

Stop making sense!

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dan O said:

Actually it would impact the person if they don't have the required funds as indicated for that category and a check by immigration was done.

Even if it is 100% clear to immigration what had happened, and assuming you are using a third party (not bribing the official directly yourself) I am not aware of any law you are violating. It is similar to the highly dubious volunteer visas that some acquired a year or two ago. When that whole scheme came to light, and senior officials in immigration decided to crack down, there were consequences. However, criminal prosecution was not one of them. Mainly, the scheme was halted, officials directly involved shifted to positions that limited their future earning potential, and those who received such visas found themselves faced with hostile immigration officials when applying for future services. That is the big risk. It is not that you are breaking any laws. It is that you upset the wrong officials who may retaliate against you in the future.

EDIT: I would also note that, sometimes on the local level, you can upset the wrong officials by not using an agent, or other services that ultimately boost the officials' income (such as medical certificates from designated hospitals).

Edited by BritTim
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 6:13 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

So for what reason do you use the 'services offered'? If it's to bypass the need for 800,000 in your bank account then you, the agent and the immigration officer are all committing an offence. You being the biggest loser cuz you're liable for deportation

Absolutely, and these people often complain about corruption in Thailand. 

However, little chance of being deported as the Immigration police are the ones committing the crime too, and they are passing the cash to the highest levels.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Thailand said:

It would appear that most of the replies have little to do with the original post and as usual wanders off topic.

You are 100% correct and this often occurs in any thread to do with agents..

Some folk can't help themselves.

Surprised thread hasn't been closed. 

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2022 at 11:35 AM, Guderian said:

For goodness sake, where did I mention that? I have plenty of money in the bank as well as the letter confirming it. Many of us use an agent simply to avoid long queues, sometimes standing for a long time under the sun, outside the inadequate Jomtien Immigration office.

So you obviously pay 1000 baht or so, unlike the ones who pay 16,000 to illegally bypass/overcome immigration regulations. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Even if it is 100% clear to immigration what had happened, and assuming you are using a third party (not bribing the official directly yourself) I am not aware of any law you are violating. It is similar to the highly dubious volunteer visas that some acquired a year or two ago. When that whole scheme came to light, and senior officials in immigration decided to crack down, there were consequences. However, criminal prosecution was not one of them. Mainly, the scheme was halted, officials directly involved shifted to positions that limited their future earning potential, and those who received such visas found themselves faced with hostile immigration officials when applying for future services. That is the big risk. It is not that you are breaking any laws. It is that you upset the wrong officials who may retaliate against you in the future.

EDIT: I would also note that, sometimes on the local level, you can upset the wrong officials by not using an agent, or other services that ultimately boost the officials' income (such as medical certificates from designated hospitals).

If your funds fall below the appropriate amount (or where never there for the appropriate amount and time frame to start with) your permission to stay is in violation. There may not be a specific law about using agents but the requirements for monetary levels are part of the Visa program and dependent on the category you could find yourself in violation. What would or could happen depends on a variety of issues but 1 option would be a 7 day notice to leave the country as your permission to stay could be cancelled. I'm noy saying it would happen but you know as well as I do that depending on the day of the week, direction of the wind and who is trying to make a point anything is possible. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, piston broke said:

always makes me chuckle - the folk that have never set foot in a visa agent's office - seem to be experts on the subject .....

All retirement extensions - via agent or not, are personally signed by the head of immingration - he's the boss.....

In some cases the corrupt boss signing off extensions for people who live in another province, which he is not legally entitled to do, wake up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Absolutely, and these people often complain about corruption in Thailand. 

However, little chance of being deported as the Immigration police are the ones committing the crime too, and they are passing the cash to the highest levels.

Why not do away with the farce of agents then and just process extensions for 16k for those who do not have the funds in the bank? Cut out the middle man leeches, why not if it's all 'legal' anyway?

Edited by proton
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I do. I will never use an agent. 

As they say... "Up to You"... 

2 of my mates also tell me they'll never use an agent but spend >150b on cigarettes... Guess what, I'll never pay for cigarettes (Did that for 20 years, 22 years ago).

I simply pay for convenience, so let me ask...

1. If it cost nothing, but meant they completed all the paperwork, made sure it was all in order & went to Immigration for you, would you still do it all yourself?
  2. If it cost 100b but they completed all the paperwork, made sure it was all in order & went to Immigration for you, would you still do it all yourself?
  3. If it cost 1Million baht but they completed all the paperwork, made sure it was all in order & went to Immigration for you, would you still do it all yourself?

None of us would do it if it cost 1Million baht but I'm comfortable at the 8,000b level, clearly you're not, doesn't make either of us Right or Wrong