Jomtien immigration- Officer declined application for Non-O based on marriage for no reason.

On 12/31/2022 at 11:42 AM, ukrules said:

You need to get her behaviour on video.

I was just thinking the same. How about some shaming from a hidden camera and posted all over TikTok, Facebook etc. That will get their attention. Might not do the applicant's prospects much good (unless anonymous) but would surely be interesting to see the <deleted> storm unfold. Just a thought. Anyone?

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2022 at 6:43 AM, connda said:

Where was your wife?  I don't deal with the IOs myself.  I let my wife take care of all the discussion and only answer questions when asked.  Luckily in my district, we've been dealing with the same IO for years (that's a plus for being in a small district with a magnitude more Myanmar workers than Farang expats). 
But still.  I take a number, and when called I give the wife all the paperwork and let her do the talking.  It's just easier. 

Let your wife do the negotiating and stay in the background.  Things will go better - honest.  :thumbsup:

No no no and no.

I have only ever taken my wife to immigration once. Even then she sat and just listened.

I know far more about immigration in Thailand than my wife does. 

Much much easier to do things myself.

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Too many farangs in Jomtien. I reckon that office is getting sick of them. I would be too. Come up here to Issan. It's usually just me and one other farang in there. They always quickly stamp or sign my stuff, very politely, no hassles nor shakedowns, so they can get back to their somtam and gossip.

You quite often post about being in a place where you are the only one  or one of two or three expats. Whether it's in town, in the village or at your school. Now at immigration. I am intrigued to know of a province in Isaan where there are so few expats. Please tell.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

In other words you would have ended up also needing to obtain a 60 day extension.

As for your personal experience of obtaining a non O in NZ....

Who cares. Has no relevance to the op situation.

Obtaining the non O in Thailand is a very common and apart from this particular office and moreso the nutter immigration officer it's an easy process. 

No I would not have ended up needing a 60 day extension.

It is called forward planning. I knew that when I had finished the job in New Zealand during May of 2009, that I would need a retirement visa extension. I used the Thai Visa files to find out what I needed to do, how, where and what documents were needed, then went ahead and did it. That was in December when I was in Thailand or the New Year

It has every relevance to the OP situation simply by the fact that I had been doing extensions for 10 years previous and earned my lessons.

I use PPPPPP as a reminder.

"Proper Prior Planning Prevents <deleted> Poor Performance"

Planning ahead and asking for advice generally saves time and trouble.

Leaving things to the last minute is always asking for problems as the OP has found.

What I would have done in his place is gone to Immigration 30 days before and asked the IO quietly and politely for help with my problem. Most IOs are helpful, especially if it will make their job easier

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, carbuyer said:

I went with a Thai person the first time. That was the last day I was eligible to get the visa (you have to apply 15 days before current visa expires)

If I went back again, I guarantee you that officer would be even ruder and more difficult. Thais in authority do not like to back down or admit mistakes. That would be losing face. I would be in the wrong for causing them to do so.
I know how it works here, I've spent over half my adult life in this country.

I'm getting the 60 days and then reapplying with the seasoned funds. I'm not paying the 15,000 she asked for.

Well done for not giving them the 15k.

Shame you run out of time,  think you may well,  have had a surprise if you had gone back, we will never know now. 

So you can't guarantee anything.

Thank you for the lecture. :cheesy:

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Please stop. 

The immigration officer that the OP dealt with is very well known.

Bottom line your good manners would have achieved zero with this person.

The OP had a fall back option which was to apply for 60 day extension. 

Your personal experience at another office another officer counts for zero. 

Please stop what?

Responding to your posts?

Posting that the majority or IOs are good, and do a good job?

So my experience with many IO is meaningless compared to one IO.

Then make a formal complaint to the head of the IO.

Well over 90% of the IOs are good They  are trying to stem corruption and what better way than using that person as an example.

By ignoring or tolerating that IO simply leaves them to carry on doing what they have done for years.

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

By ignoring or tolerating that IO simply leaves them to carry on doing what they have done for years.

I meant stop nonsense.

Put yourself in OP situation.

It's a bit like any office that imposes their own nonsense requirements.

Personal experience elsewhere is irrelevant. 

So just outline how your outcome would be different to the that if the OP at his immigration office and that particular officer.

Please don't reply dial 1178.

Time for ignore

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So my experience with many IO is meaningless compared to one IO.

Of course it is. 

The OP posted about a particular immigration office and even more so a particular immigration officer that appears well known by reading supporting posts.

Then you post your personal experience.

I have in the main had excellent experience at CW 

My experience is completely irrelevant to the thread. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I meant stop nonsense.

So just outline how your outcome would be different to the that if the OP at his immigration office and that particular officer.

Time for ignore

Good.

I had no idea of the number.

If I wanted Immigration advice, I would go to a couple of members who have far more experience than you

Edited by billd766
added extra text

40 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Well over 90% of the IOs are good They  are trying to stem corruption and what better way than using that person as an example.

Unless they come from seriously wealthy families, senior IOs have little choice but to be corrupt. The nature of their corruption varies, but their superiors are well aware of its necessity. To be appointed to their positions is expensive, and their salaries quite insufficient to live in reasonable comfort.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I meant stop nonsense.

Time for ignore

There have been several posts on this topic about immigration in general and personal views, yet you pick on only one?

Personally, I think all personal experiences are relevant. It helps to show rules that are wide spread as apposed to at single Immigration offices. It helps to show if its worth arguing or not. It also shows how such experiences can be sorted out.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the original OP got his Non O from the iron lady? How about any recent success stories getting a Non O from her? 

Has anyone been to Chang Wattana and gotten a Non O without "seasoned funds"?

My experience with her @ desk 7 was similar but it was in 2018 - the very last few months where you could still use an income affidavit from the US embassy in Bangkok. I got push back from her and had to come back and jump through her hoops but I made it through and got the Non O being very polite, speaking in Thai and talking calmly.

How about some success stories? Anyone able to get a Non O from her recently showing 800k in the bank? I'm going to have to do it in about 2 months. So I'm guessing it's time to wire my USD to my Thai bank?

Whats the news gents??