Thailand Leads Asia-Pacific in Digital Payment Methods

snoop1130

05d42915d2adb378ce14257fbcca3104_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thai consumers lead all others in the Asia-Pacific region when it comes to using digital payment methods, according to a survey by MasterCard, which also found that the region is the most enthusiastic when it comes to cashless transactions.

That is good news for economic planners who would like to see Thailand become a cashless society.

A wide range of digital payment programs and services are available alongside the government’s own PromptPay system. Digitalization has been a key priority under the 4.0 national development strategy.

MasterCard based the index on its survey of more than 35,000 respondents in 40 countries. According to its second annual New Payments Index, consumers in Asia and the Pacific are the most enthusiastic adopters of digital payments in the world.

More than 88% of consumers in the region have used technologies such as digital wallets, QR codes, buy now and pay later services, cryptocurrencies, and biometrics.

Aileen Chew, MasterCard’s Country Manager for Thailand, said, “Consumers in Thailand topped the list with 94% having used digital payments across multiple forms, including QR codes and wallet payments.” She added that “Thailand is a leading example of the future of digital payments and how MasterCard thinks about payments.”

According to a survey conducted by Deloitte consulting, Thai banks are beginning to mature in the field of digital payments - scoring among the best for customer retention on mobile banking.

Metinee Jongsaliswang, Executive Director and Thailand Country Consulting Leader at Deloitte Consulting said that “As Thai banks look to the future, they must consider the ‘moments that matter’ to their end-customers and invest in customer experiences to enable a seamless digital experience.”

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG221227142841419

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-12-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I second that emotion.....yesterday I stood for 15 minutes while a lady paid for a few items using her efficient smart phone.

It's amazing how many people on this forum get stuck behind 15 minute people, such bad luck.  And really, 15 minutes, and you didn't move to another queue? 

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It's amazing how many people on this forum get stuck behind 15 minute people, such bad luck.  And really, 15 minutes, and you didn't move to another queue? 

If there are longer queues you will not move. On the one hand you hope the drama is over every moment and on the other hand there is no guarantee that you will not have a similar experience at a different cashier. 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

wide range of digital payment programs and services are available alongside the government’s own PromptPay system.

All of which appear to be incredibly slow and cumbersome. Thailand may tout being number one for online payments, but it should get with it regards Apple Pay. Once people with an iPhone have used that, they will wonder why they bothered with the crapola above. 

15 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I "love" these people blocking everything at the cashiers... 

Yes, I just went through that a few days ago... what really griped was after she left she came back and distracted the till  girl to get a receipt acting as if I was not there. 

16 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I second that emotion.....yesterday I stood for 15 minutes while a lady paid for a few items using her efficient smart phone.

and that makes 2 of us, was at Makro ready to check out, saw a lady with 1 item only and let her go in front of me, it took her around 15 minutes to pay 49 baht for the item.... will stop being courteous 555

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

and that makes 2 of us, was at Makro ready to check out, saw a lady with 1 item only and let her go in front of me, it took her around 15 minutes to pay 49 baht for the item.... will stop being courteous 555

You should have put your hand in your pocket and paid for her! 

20 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I was stuck behind a Thai guy trying to pay for a 9 baht bottle of water while trying to make a phone payment over and over. I paid it for him just to get out of there

9 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Cash is king......Always has been,always will be....

Only deriving from the fanciful pretense that currencies [anywhere] are reflective of real physical wealth/value......which of course doesn't exist. 

We could easily be trading rocks and leaves, in comparison, as a valued and accepted median - as the official worthiness of what wealth might be.