Thai immigration officer asks for a “sin nam jai” to “help quicken the visa application process”

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Are you sure it's not the wife after the money? 

Do not give the guy money.  

Say you want a photo taken with him as you shake his hand and hand over the 'tip' as you are so pleased with the service.... I bet he will decline.  Next learn some Thai language so you can really understand what he is saying next time.. 

I dont know how anyone can live with someone and marry them yet not be able to speak at least their partners basic language.  

I am not saying this is the case for the OP  but many times I have heard a farangs Thai wife telling lies to their husband about charges, money etc from builders, service people and shops etc so they can get some extra cash.  I feel worse for the people the women are blaming as the faeang gets angry and the people feel uncomfortable with the situation.   Being dependant, reliant and trusting someone you can't even speak the same language is really dumb.  

Or just don’t give them any money , I’m talking about the wife as I am committing on the above reply

Edited by Foghorn
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm guessing that your choice of words, "quick service" may be the reason, perhaps that was misinterpreted? Which Immi office was this, where? When I lived in Phuket at least on Immi officer there was pretty blatant about what he wanted, he had pieces of paper in the center draw of his desk with different amounts written on them. He would never actually say anything but from time to time a slip of paper would appear with the number 500 written on it.

i always ask in a vary loud voice for them to explain and prove their extortion attempts.

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, roo860 said:

I commented out loud “thank you, very happy, quick service” in Thai with a smile on my face and wai to the officer.

First mistake, never wai to anyone.

Noted, here's me thinking being polite would help things.

7 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Are you sure it's not the wife after the money? 

Do not give the guy money.  

Say you want a photo taken with him as you shake his hand and hand over the 'tip' as you are so pleased with the service.... I bet he will decline.  Next learn some Thai language so you can really understand what he is saying next time.. 

I dont know how anyone can live with someone and marry them yet not be able to speak at least their partners basic language.  

I am not saying this is the case for the OP  but many times I have heard a farangs Thai wife telling lies to their husband about charges, money etc from builders, service people and shops etc so they can get some extra cash.  I feel worse for the people the women are blaming as the faeang gets angry and the people feel uncomfortable with the situation.   Being dependant, reliant and trusting someone you can't even speak the same language is really dumb.  

First of all, whilst I'm not fluent I can speak Thai at an advanced level as I've been here for a long time and studied at a school. When deciding I was going to settle down here years ago, I've taken the time to learn and practice my Thai over the years. I didn't understand him because I didn't hear what the immigration officer said because he asked my wife for the bribe quietly. Whilst I'm aware there's many Thai woman who scam their husbands & boyfriends my wife isn't one of those lot. We've been together a long time, after a conversation about the sin sod her parents agreed it wasn't needed, her family business makes good money, they have a lot of land, she would have been set up for life with or without me.

9 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Ask for their name and account number and tell them you will transfer the money online.

Haha, brilliant. Maybe I'll ask for a photo with all the officers too haha

Edited by chang farrang
  • Haha 1