Thai immigration officer asks for a “sin nam jai” to “help quicken the visa application process”

18 hours ago, proton said:

Where to draw the line though, do you think the head of national parks just arrested for stealing a claimed 20 million a month is OK as well because the country has low taxes etc?

That's beyond corruption and into grand theft.

Obviously, there are limits. I do tend to concentrate on what affects my overall personal budget. I could compare a roadside handout here to the massive fines levied for a couple of kms over the speed limit in Australia, or Thai national park fees to entry fees into some English castles. I couldn't tolerate the American system where the customer is forced to pay the bulk of a server's salary through a system quaintly called tipping.

Overall Thailand is massively cheaper, and while I would prefer honesty everywhere, I'm happier with the local version over that of the western world.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 5:18 AM, Mitkof Island said:

Had the same thing happen total B.S payment of 5,000 baht. If Laos had been open at the time I would have told them to F-Off and gone there.

Never been offered to me in TH. But have been offered special expedited services in Lao

On 12/29/2022 at 12:36 PM, RedArmy said:

Corruption was here long before any of us arrived & i suspect it will still be here long after many of us have gone

The month of October is a school holiday, and most of us teachers just come in for a few days of it. But on our contracts it usually says we'll get half a month of pay.

I had one finance office call me in, and the nice lady there with apparently the new iPhone, more gold, or more plastic surgery in her eyes, said "Oh, we see you clocked in for only 5 days. Well your salary divided by 30 is the daily rate, and that times 5 days, well that should be your pay. You can give the overage back to me."

Haha, I couldn't believe how blatant she was with it. I said no, we're not going by days. I get half a month. Says right here on the contract I took pics of on my phone, that perhaps you didn't think I bothered doing. And that was that.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 12/28/2022 at 1:55 AM, chang farrang said:

Went with my Thai wife a few days ago to submit our documents for our marriage visa.

All the paperwork was in perfect order, as my wife is very organized and research the whole process carefully.

The immigration officer confirmed everything was perfect and then asked me to fill out a survey by scanning a QR code on my phone.

The 6th question asked me something along the lines of “Has the immigration officer asked for any other benefits to process your Visa?” To which I replied no. I then finish the survey and tell the officer I’ve submitted my feedback and I commented out loud “thank you, very happy, quick service” in Thai with a smile on my face and wai to the officer.

Literally moments later, I see my wife being called over by what looks to be the chief officer at the immigration and I can see her face begin to look uncomfortable. She smiles and nods, and comes and takes me out the immigration office telling me were finished.

I asked my wife is everything OK, my wife told me he asked for a “sin nam jai” to “help quicken the visa application process”

My wife tells me it basically means they want a gift, or in other words money.

Thoughts?

Surprised NOT!

On 12/27/2022 at 11:31 PM, roo860 said:

I commented out loud “thank you, very happy, quick service” in Thai with a smile on my face and wai to the officer.

First mistake, never wai to anyone.

Know what you mean.....????

......but respectfully disagree, because there are ways by which a wai can convey a clear message - in this case, disapproval -  without having to state that message, which may worsen such situations very badly. 

I've watched how the Thais do this to good effect. In fact, I'm now quite good at it myself! ????

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Poor girls, the only reason they would have  to do that is that they have a deadbeat husband. Known in Thailand as "Farang  kee nok".

My money,  is my wife's money.

Maybe sometimes.  

But a couple of ladies i knew used the money for secret gambling.  I suspext you would not want your wife to use your money for that. 

Another one was just greedy and used it to buy expensice stuff and show it off while partying with her friends. She though it was funny to scam her dumb husband.  He used to give her plenty of money anyway.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In 21 years, the only times I've been asked for bribes in Thailand is when I've been accompanied by a Thai national. Most Thai's complain and bitch about the police but act like puppies when they deal with them and usually pay any 'gifts' required - the police rely on this 'deference'.

Next time, go alone.

I have been told I'm 'speeding', driving in the 'wrong lane' etc. etc. in the past and told I have to pay a fine but I've always stood my ground and refused - politely.

On one occasion on a tollway I was told I "drive too fast" and needed to pay a fine.  When I asked for proof, refusing to pay without it, I was told that we'd have to go and talk to the 'Big Boss', I got out of the car and locked it up ready to go.  The clearly shocked officer then changed his mind and said "OK but slowly na". No need for hassle, just stand your ground.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Love It 1

On 12/27/2022 at 10:55 PM, chang farrang said:

Went with my Thai wife a few days ago to submit our documents for our marriage visa.

All the paperwork was in perfect order, as my wife is very organized and research the whole process carefully.

The immigration officer confirmed everything was perfect and then asked me to fill out a survey by scanning a QR code on my phone.

The 6th question asked me something along the lines of “Has the immigration officer asked for any other benefits to process your Visa?” To which I replied no. I then finish the survey and tell the officer I’ve submitted my feedback and I commented out loud “thank you, very happy, quick service” in Thai with a smile on my face and wai to the officer.

Literally moments later, I see my wife being called over by what looks to be the chief officer at the immigration and I can see her face begin to look uncomfortable. She smiles and nods, and comes and takes me out the immigration office telling me were finished.

I asked my wife is everything OK, my wife told me he asked for a “sin nam jai” to “help quicken the visa application process”

My wife tells me it basically means they want a gift, or in other words money.

Thoughts?

My missus would have told him where to go, my money is hers as far as she's concerned, and she 'ant 'goin to let anybody else have it. She kow tows to nobody. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Poor girls, the only reason they would have  to do that is that they have a deadbeat husband. Known in Thailand as "Farang  kee nok".

My money,  is my wife's money.

The only women who use this term are low class bar girls, so we know who you married.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2022 at 7:47 AM, tandor said:

i always ask in a vary loud voice for them to explain and prove their extortion attempts.

You need to take into consideration where the office is. If it's a small office with limited staff, you might want to temper your frustrations and play nice as you need to face these people every year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You need to take into consideration where the office is. If it's a small office with limited staff, you might want to temper your frustrations and play nice as you need to face these people every year.

i would never give into their demands and would take the matter higher regardless of what you say!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And her money is her own.

So? I don't need  hers.. She  makes 30k a  month, I make 300k, we have two kids. She is Thai, so must support he parents  to some extent from her 30k.  We have agreed that my/our money doesn't go to he folks without me making the  decision.

Honestly, I believe that any other arrangement can only lead to very miserable lives for us, parents and children.  

Dunno what some guys are doing here ?...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Exactly "Why you want Money!" would be my response.

Thats exactly the same response I tell myself when confronted for a bribe. Unfortunately they have that much control over your life by their position all they have to do is make up some lame excuse to retain your passport/papers and waste untold hours trying to reason with someone who has selective English skills that most of us relent and and give the beggars a few cents and suddenly the problem dissapears .I hate it very much.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jaideedave said:

Thats exactly the same response I tell myself when confronted for a bribe. Unfortunately they have that much control over your life by their position all they have to do is make up some lame excuse to retain your passport/papers and waste untold hours trying to reason with someone who has selective English skills that most of us relent and and give the beggars a few cents and suddenly the problem dissapears .I hate it very much.

It's a Marriage extension my wife is there, she wouldn't relent, nor would I and the CTV cameras are running, in fact they give her and me gifts, her dried bananas, me iced coffee, they just had delivered last time, When I go to collect my extension IF we have some garden produce we'll give them some, I have to drag her away, she loves a natter. :giggle:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Thai national. Most Thai's complain and bitch about the police but act like puppies when they deal with them

My missus is more like a Pit Bull when she deals with them, at a traffic stop my tax disc was on the dash, she held it up then she ploughed into them "why I pay 300b me have" He asked her "who is your father?" she "Him dead!" ok then 300baht :cheesy:

Edited by brianthainess
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Sure 'coz they see you coming. Pay once and your done.

Easy to say if you have 800 thousand baht.  I don’t.  I am a normal, non-wealthy retiree. The kind of person that many snobs believe should not be able to retire here, because all I can show is a monthly income of around 100 thousand baht. The Thai Immigration rules are completely untenable. That’s why I pay an agent.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Easy to say if you have 800 thousand baht.  I don’t.  I am a normal, non-wealthy retiree. The kind of person that many snobs believe should not be able to retire here, because all I can show is a monthly income of around 100 thousand baht. The Thai Immigration rules are completely untenable. That’s why I pay an agent.

How are they completely untenable? Many here never use agents or pay bribes. That makes no sense to me when you only need 65k a month, anyway it's your money if you want to waste it on an agent then do it. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1