Changing to Non IMM O from OA

I posted this before but can’t find my posts ????. Sorry..

I was planning on staying out of the country and let my Non IMM OA retirement extension expire, then come in on Tourist and apply for a Non IMM O.  

Anyway. I am now coming back to Thailand tomorrow (12/28). My OA extension expires on 1/6. 

If I leave Thailand again on maybe 1/5 and come back in a couple days later is it going to cause any red flags at immigration?  I assume I can say I didn’t want to overstay. 

Will I be able to come in on a Tourist visa, even know I’ve had an OA for a couple years and have been living in Thailand? My intention is to apply for an O Visa as soon as I can. 

Is insurance required for Non Imm O retirement if you get it in Thailand?  One of the main reasons to change was to avoid having to pay insurance on my OA visa. I guess I’m wondering what the differences are now. Looking online has only confused me more. ????

Thanks (again)

Edited by farangkrab

@flexomike covered all the info you require, I did this process in Sept this year:

Left Thailand without a re-entry permit therefore killing my OA retirement extension.

Returned visa exempt (30 days ).

Applied for an O visa after a few days .

Applied for extension based on retirement.

No insurance requirement.

As @DrJack54 says; my funds have been in the bank for several years so no requirement to prove came from o/s ( this probably varies with location ).

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you obtain a non O based on retirement in Thailand what is the difference between single and multiple entry options, my understanding is with the multiple entry you can come and go as you please without re entry permit but have to leave thailand every 90 days whereas the single entry allows you to attend your local IO , am I correct in this assumption as I will be in the same position as the poster at a later date.thanks.

Thanks for all the responses. I see now I didn’t use the correct terminology. ????

I’ve had a Non IMM OA retirement visa for a couple years now. All required funds sitting in bank still. 

I do have a reentry permit which expires on 06-JAN, the same expiration date as my OA extension.

Need a little more help on when to leave/return. Confused with the reentry queering things up. 

a) Do I need to leave on the 5th or is the 6th OK and no overstay? 

b) I assume I need to come back on the 7th?  Not sure about what the meaning on my reentry permit “Valid until 06-JAN” implies. 

c) Get a tourist visa in Penang and come back or do a run somewhere and get a 45 day in Thailand as mentioned above?  Still confused with the dates / timing of it all. 

Thanks for the support. My little brain doesn’t really grasp a this. ????

Edited by farangkrab

10 minutes ago, supermac said:

If you obtain a non O based on retirement in Thailand what is the difference between single and multiple entry options, my understanding is with the multiple entry you can come and go as you please without re entry permit but have to leave thailand every 90 days whereas the single entry allows you to attend your local IO , am I correct in this assumption as I will be in the same position as the poster at a later date.thanks.

I think perhaps you're mixing a couple of things (or I'm misreading).

You obtain a Non-O and then using that visa you get a permission to stay based on retirement - for 12 months at a time. If you stay in Thailand for 90 days you will have to do a 90 day report - if you leave the 90 day countdown is reset.

In this scenario, when people are talking about single or multiple re-entry permits that's just to enable you to leave the Kingdom and keep the permission to stay alive so no problem on your return.

Or are you actually talking about an actual METV (multi entry tourist visa) which basically requires you to leave every 90 days and not really relevant to retirement on the face of it?

19 minutes ago, farangkrab said:

a) Do I need to leave on the 5th or is the 6th OK and no overstay? 

6th is OK.

b) I assume I need to come back on the 7th?  Not sure about what the meaning on my reentry permit “Valid until 06-JAN” implies. 

Come back on the 7th (although personally I'd probably head to KL or Singapore for the weekend).

c) Get a tourist visa in Penang and come back or do a run somewhere. Still confused with the dates / timing of it all. 

Just enter visa exempt from wherever you decide to go. You'll have plenty of time to convert to Non-O and then permission to stay. Pre covid, some IOs at Swampy and DMK where proving to be a pain to some people with multiple entries, unlikely IMO to affect you. But if more risk averse, land crossings do seem to have less hassle - avoiding certain ones - minds just gone blank but mentioned on various threads on here.

Edited by Salerno
  • Thanks 1

Expand  

I think perhaps you're mixing a couple of things (or I'm misreading).

You obtain a Non-O and then using that visa you get a permission to stay based on retirement - for 12 months at a time. If you stay in Thailand for 90 days you will have to do a 90 day report - if you leave the 90 day countdown is reset.

Thanks I understand the process of disposing with the OA visa and obtaining the initial  non O retirement visa either in Laos etc and extending it for 12 months at my local IO ,or doing the border bounce entering on a 45 VOA  and obtaining the initial non O and subsequent extension at my local IO however I am still unclear of the rules regarding multi or single entry options .

can I do my 90 days reporting at my local IO with a multiple entry non O  ? Or am I required to leave the country every 90 days.

Edited by supermac

27 minutes ago, supermac said:

I am still unclear of the rules regarding multi or single entry options .

First up two different visas 

Single entry non O retirement gives a 90 day stamp.

In the last 30 days of that permit you obtain a 12 month extension.

No need to leave Thailand during that time.

If you do wish is exit and reenter you need to purchase a reentry permit either single or multiple. 1000 and 3800 respectively.

A multiple entry visa based on marriage is a 12 month visa and allows for stays up to 90 days and then you need to exit.

Note that a 60 day extension is available to the 90 day stay for each entry.

I realize you are asking about retirement.

This ME Non O marriage is popular with some married guys as it does not require the same financials.

ME Non retirement was previously available at Savannakhet however I think only based on marriage is currently available. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Returned visa exempt (30 days ).

Applied for an O visa after a few days .

Applied for extension based on retirement.

Thanks for the details. What / where was the process to apply for the O Visa after I’m back in country? I’m living in Bangkok. 

Looks like after I have the extension, I have to wait until the last 30 days, not before (?) to apply for the retirement. 

30 minutes ago, farangkrab said:

Thanks for the details. What / where was the process to apply for the O Visa after I’m back in country? I’m living in Bangkok. 

Looks like after I have the extension, I have to wait until the last 30 days, not before (?) to apply for the retirement. 

If you return visa exempt you will receive 45 days, when you still have more than 15 days remaining visit immigration to apply for an O visa ( valid for 90 days).
You will need 800k in a Thai bank on the day you apply.

If successful you will be asked to return around 15 days later ( possibly even the last day of your visa exempt stay ) to receive your O visa stamp .

With around 30 days of your O visa remaining return to immigration to apply for an extension based on retirement (?), normal requirements will be requested similar to your OA extensions only no insurance necessary.

Immigration may possibly request a home visit when you apply for the O visa .

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:22 AM, Salerno said:

6th is OK.

Come back on the 7th (although personally I'd probably head to KL or Singapore for the weekend).

Just enter visa exempt from wherever you decide to go. You'll have plenty of time to convert to Non-O and then permission to stay. Pre covid, some IOs at Swampy and DMK were proving to be a pain to some people with multiple entries, unlikely IMO to affect you. But if more risk averse, land crossings do seem to have less hassle - avoiding certain ones - minds just gone blank but mentioned on various threads on here.

What’s the best way handle the conversation with the IMO?  If asked, do I say I live here etc?  They certainly can see the history with my retirement extensions and also that I left on the last day and came back in a few days later. 

Just tell them the truth; retirement extension based on a Non-O is abetter option for you than on the Non-OA you had, coming in visa exempt but will be immediately converting to Non-O and applying for extension based on retirement.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2022 at 2:24 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

If you return visa exempt you will receive 45 days, when you still have more than 15 days remaining visit immigration to apply for an O visa ( valid for 90 days).
You will need 800k in a Thai bank on the day you apply.

If successful you will be asked to return around 15 days later ( possibly even the last day of your visa exempt stay ) to receive your O visa stamp .

With around 30 days of your O visa remaining return to immigration to apply for an extension based on retirement (?), normal requirements will be requested similar to your OA extensions only no insurance necessary.

Immigration may possibly request a home visit when you apply for the O visa .

Where do I apply for the O visa once I have my 45 day visa exempt? I’m in Bangkok.  I’m headed to KL this weekend. 

I really do try to Google these things and searching this forum is a little overwhelming. ????

I didn’t see the option on Immigration page and not clear the role of all the offices. ????

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/

35 minutes ago, farangkrab said:

Where do I apply for the O visa once I have my 45 day visa exempt? I’m in Bangkok.  I’m headed to KL this weekend. 

You apply at the immigration office where you live.

You require 15 days + remaining on your permit to apply.

You should apply after your trip to KL. 

Presumably you will reenter on new visa exempt. 

With a visa exempt exempt entry you use a TM87 form visa application form instead of a TM86 change of visa status form. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, farangkrab said:

I really do try to Google these things and searching this forum is a little overwhelming. ????

I didn’t see the option on Immigration page and not clear the role of all the offices. ????

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/

Apply for the O visa at the immigration office where you are living, if you are staying in Bangkok then that will be Chaeng Wattana.

• Thanks 1

Regarding the housing requirements For the Non-O Retirement, it’s asking for:

a) Copy of house registration.

b) Rental receipt past three months.

c) Rental Agreement between the Applicant and the Landlord.

d)Location map of the house.

a) Is the house registration the TM30?

d) Can I just print a Google map with a pin dropped on the condo?

UK citizen and passport holder, retired and living full time in Thailand.

O-A Visa and extensions since 2014. I tried to upgrade my health insurance coverage from 1 million to 3 million Baht, but was refused. Therefore I do not meet the health insurance requirements for a Non O-A extension. (I have International health insurance elsewhere).

Therefore when I returned from the UK from a holiday in December, I cancelled my Non O-A extension and insisted on a 45 day visa exempt, which was granted at Suvarnabhumi after considerable discussion.  My plan was to apply for a Non O Visa in Thailand.

Today at Phetchaburi Immigration my application for a Non O was refused, because they insisted that I need to show that the 800,000 Baht came from outside Thailand.  My 800,000 Baht has been sitting dormant in my Fixed Account since 2014 and I would have extreme difficulty showing the original source of the funds.

Therefore what should I do?

A) Phetchaburi Immigration suggested I leave Thailand and get a Non O in Laos.  Is this the best option?

B) Transfer the 800,000 Baht to the UK and immediately transfer it back to my Thai Bank, showing evidence that the funds came from overseas.

C) Provide evidence of historical regular monthly income from the UK to Thailand via Wise. I guess they would require a 12 month statement?  Would I require then to continue with monthly statements for a year after the Non O was granted?  I want to return to the 800,000 Baht method as soon as possible.

D) Use an agent.

Any suggestions or comments gratefully received. I have a 30 day extension of my visa exempt until mid February.

Many thanks in advance.

57 minutes ago, farangkrab said:

a) Is the house registration the TM30?

d) Can I just print a Google map with a pin dropped on the condo?

If you're renting you'll need copy of the TM30 and the rental contract. I did O-A to O conversion at CW in November and all docs were accepted without quibble, only surprise was need to have a home visit the following week to verify address. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, khm2412 said:

Today at Phetchaburi Immigration my application for a Non O was refused, because they insisted that I need to show that the 800,000 Baht came from outside Thailand. 

Very unreasonable that they insisted on proof funds from overseas when it has been in Thai bank account for some years.

Just being AH,s.

The options you outline would work. 

Up to you what best suits. 

Depending if you have the funds to transfer from UK that would be simple option.

4 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

. I did O-A to O conversion at CW in November and all docs were accepted without quibble

There is no such thing as non O-A to non O conversion.

Thinking you mean changed the reason for your extension from retirement to marriage.

Very different. 

4 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

. I did O-A to O conversion at CW in November and all docs were accepted without quibble

Thinking you mean changed the reason for your extension from retirement to marriage.

Very different. 

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very different. 

A visa exempt entry to Non O conversion (basis of retirement) after killing off the Non O-A. 

• 1 month later...

Updates & Questions (of course)

The day of my OA Visa expiration I flew to KL for the weekend. I came back Visa Exempt with no issues. The IO didn’t question anything and just wanted to make sure I knew my entry was for 45 days only. 

Applied for a Non IMM O Visa. With the exception of a long wait it was pretty uneventful. The girl checking the docs before the IO did question my bank book. I’ve had the 800K sitting in a separate account for a couple years and as a result has no activity in the book. 

I tried to make a deposit the morning of my appointment to update the bank book but was told it wouldn’t update until the next day ???? I did have a letter certifying the balance and also a 6 month statement. Of course this should have sufficed but you never know. I’m going to start making some quarterly deposits in the account to at least show some dated activity in the book and statements. 

I went back a couple weeks later on the date given for the stamp. Other than a very apologetic girl explaining she stamped the visa upside down in my passport, everything was pretty smooth.

*** Non IM O Visa Extension (Retirement) Questions:

a) When do I apply for the 1 year extension? With less than 30 days remaining (of the 90) or before the 30 days? A little confused on the requirements.

b) Looking at the requirements (https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714), it seems I only need the application and bank docs.  I believe the application is TM.7?  #5 & #6 are not applicable.

Documents to be submitted

1. Application form
  2. Copy of applicant’s passport
  3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends and/or
  4. Fund deposit certificate issued by a commercial bank located in Thailand and a copy of bank account

Thanks again for all the previous support.