Famous English Singer Sam Smith visits Samui Island

webfact

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you ever read sentences like: The famous Eddie Murphy?

Or: The famous Celine Dion?

Because when they are famous then they are famous and people recognize their names, and nobody has to tell them that they are famous... 

It's a generational thing and in this case, genre thing. How many millennials or Gen Z do you think would recognise Eddie Murphy? Or how many not into say, Goth or Emo would have a clue about Bauhaus (or even those that claim to be "Goth or "Emo")?

As mentioned, IMO, he is a talented individual as his list of awards attest to (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Sam_Smith). Recognising talent of course doesn't necessarily mean you actually like it - personally I thought Eddie was extremely funny for his time but I can't stand Celine Dion, although I recognise she's a diva (in the true meaning of the word not the pain in the proverbial "diva").

• Like 1

I'm certainly not English, in my seventies and refuse to accept, or cater to, this idiotic non-binary rubbish.

I have however, heard of him and have seen many clips of him performing some of his best-known material over many years. Even though his style of music is not to my taste, I've always considered him to be a very talented singer/song writer whos first song about a lost gay lover was huge. 

This is very recent pic from an English tabloid presumably taken in Thailand: 

Racy display: Sam Smith left little to the imagination as they appeared almost naked while soaking up the sun on a lavish yacht on Monday

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

He's definately changed his appearance over the years. He's gone from chubby to skinny as a rake and now to that!

Yeah, didn't recognise him at first on some talk show special from London I caught while flicking channels one night (a Brit host who's name escapes me, normally in the US, as funny as a heart attack IMO). He appeared to be in a fat phase on the show.

Edited by Salerno

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Ditto ... google/wiki, and still nothing rings a bell.

Did have a chuckle reading wiki ...

"Smith is the godparent of close friend and collaborator Jimmy Napes's son. They identify as a feminist." ????

Both of them or all of them or just one of them?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Both of them or all of them or just one of them?

With the new pronouns, you're guess is as good as mine.

I just got this image, or a couple blokes/feminist, sitting at the pub, or hair dressers, chit chatting ... "men, can you believe it, how they treat us"

Typing that, when a non-binary person uses the pronoun 'they', is it singular or plural.  Guess it is all in the delivery, but if talking about people they don't know, I guess it can be both.  

Think I'll just stick with what I was taught, male (having penis)/he/him, female (no penis)/she/her.  Less confusing.   'it' covers the rest of the alphabet.

edit: him ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1