Chonburi governor and team repaints zebra crossings in Pattaya to prevent accidents during upcoming New Year holiday

webfact

So awhile back in San Diego I do the jaywalk thing, cross to the concrete medium to wait for other traffic to pass. But, instead the other traffic slams on their brakes for me which wasn't necessary at all. In Thailand things would have worked smoothly but the western mindset is different.

Now put that western mindset in Pattaya with the crossings and bad things happen.

16 hours ago, aussienam said:

Overhead  walkway bridges is the only safe option. 

Waste of money. Will only profiteer the contractors, the hospitals and the funeral companies. 

Not particularly good for the disabled and unfit (I often wonder if the one with a lift in it near Father Ray's, Sukhumvit, Pattaya, still works)......but I certainly would use one over 3rd Rd, where it is wide and has no central median to seek refuge on! 

• Like 1

What a photo session... In the Second Road at the area of Made in Thailand repainting would be necessary. And also more light at night. But to make it more safe for the many pedestrians there they switched the traffic light at the pedestrian crossing off. Or were too many road users complaining? 

On 12/28/2022 at 3:32 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Is that their idea of a joke?

It'll only make pedestrians more at risk if they don't know that drivers don't stop for pedestrians on crossings.

The only time crossings worked in Pattaya to my knowledge was the time a cop went out and stopped the traffic for me to cross.

Even the traffic lights didn't work ( long ago now ), which is probably why they turned them off.

It's some good progress. The old crossings could barely be seen, many faded out. These have a welcome visibility, as I can tell you from experience the other night.

And drivers are getting more used to them and starting to slow down at least if a pedestrian is in the crosswalk. The death of the doc created awareness. Pedestrians are mostly suitably cautious, though tourists can easily walk out anywhere, crossing or not, some drunk and forgetting even to look. Such is a tourist town.

The traffic lights work fine, have long worked, and now there's more of them.

On 12/28/2022 at 5:21 AM, HuskerDo2 said:

"He said to all participants that the repainting of the zebra crossings was a necessary precaution to ensure the safety of pedestrians"...... Gee THANKS Governor!! Great job you are doing. Paint on a street will help a LOT (insert sarcasm here). Is there nothing better he could think of to keep people safe? How can there be so many lazy stupid people in a position of authority in this country? 

If you are in a line of traffic, you will not notice a zebra crossing until you are almost on it. What is needed is to copy the way zebra crossings are in the UK with posts with flashing lights at each end and zig zag lines.

I will even go as far as to say that there should not even be zebra crossings at all, they should be replaced by pedestrian lights with a button to press when anyone wants to cross the road.

On 12/30/2022 at 2:20 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Anyone stopping is likely to be run into from behind.

If you are not driving too fast approaching the crossing and stop gradually that would help, but you could say that anyone wanting to cross the road should try and wait for the traffic to stop, but then the problem is that in most cases the drivers don't notice the crossing until they are almost on it.

There is no easy answer to this at all. But as I said flashing lights  on a pole at each end of the crossing and zig zags leading up to it would help..

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 1:34 PM, ozimoron said:

I live in Pattaya and I'm going to say is is just a baseless generalisation. Many drivers do stop.

Some stop, but not the majority.

23 hours ago, ozimoron said:

They almost all stop on the red light at a pedestrian crossing. I

Nonsense.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

But how often are they working?

Many years ago they put lights on the crossings, but basically ignored. There was a VDO on the forum of a cop car driving through a red light!

Eventually they switched the lights off. If they have switched them on again as claimed, does anyone stop for them?

In Chiang Mai they'd stop on red but carry on through red soon as the pedestrian had crossed.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The only time they don't stop is when the pedestrians have already crossed and the light is still red. I use these crossings in Pattaya on a daily basis.

Exactly right.

Now, often vehicles will slow enough to see if anyone's going to cross or going to cross. If none, they may go on through. I do that myself. ????

Problem is, tourists will often walk by and just press the button for entertainment or vandalism purposes. So as a driver you can never be sure the light is really indicating anyone wants to cross.

And there are sufficient lights around. Pedestrians are often too lazy to walk to the light.

And yes, the lights are working. Guess that disposes of all the nonsense.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1