Condo Electricity

Can the owners of a condo be

forced by the manager to do a

6 months pre payment for water +

electricity? There hasn't ever been an owners meeting to discuss that.

The manager says that he will cut

off the supply to anybody who will mit accept.

Up to now payment was always

done promptly in a monthly basis.

• Haha 1

Technically No, the condo office cant demand prepayment. Talk to the committee for the block, the manager works under their direction. Bring it up at the next AGM.

Electricity usually has nothing to do with the condo office or manager, its billed direct from PEA/MEA.

Just out of interest, is the manager a private management company ? As it sounds like something those mafia style companies will try and do.

• Like 2

In our case, electricity is paid directly to MEA, not to the condo. It shows up in their app, and you can pay for it in the app. As for the water, we don't do prepayment but get the bill every 3 months. It is paid to condo juristic office, but given the warnings I see in the lifts, some don't pay on time. There's a month to pay I think but there's threat of cutting water off if not paid for 6 months. Same for maintenance fees.

I can't see how they could do anything about electricity when you don't even pay it to them. It's MEA that would cut power if bills are not paid. No idea for how long, though.

If building is a rented apartment, that's a different story though, as there you are paying to apartment, and they pay to MEA/PEA. But even there, I've never seen water or electricity prepayments. Only advance rent and/or deposit for damage of property.

9 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

In our case, electricity is paid directly to MEA, not to the condo. It shows up in their app, and you can pay for it in the app. As for the water, we don't do prepayment but get the bill every 3 months. It is paid to condo juristic office, but given the warnings I see in the lifts, some don't pay on time. There's a month to pay I think but there's threat of cutting water off if not paid for 6 months. Same for maintenance fees.

I can't see how they could do anything about electricity when you don't even pay it to them. It's MEA that would cut power if bills are not paid. No idea for how long, though.

If building is a rented apartment, that's a different story though, as there you are paying to apartment, and they pay to MEA/PEA. But even there, I've never seen water or electricity prepayments. Only advance rent and/or deposit for damage of property.

Who is legally responsible for paying the electricity bill in your condo

The co owner or if appropriate the tenant?

No. The Juristic Person (condo manager) cannot demand a co-owner to pre-pay electricity or water. As a co-owner, the electricity would be direct with MEA or PEA depending on location. Water is next to nothing at 50-200 Baht/Month so should be no issue there. Maybe I'm lucky in that my condo, owned since completion 13 years ago, has a great management company (Plus) who we, as co-owners, choose to re-engage at each AGM. 

Edited by soi3eddie

Perhaps the management are paying the electricity and water bills for Owners who are out of the country and are to lazy to make alternative plans to pay their monthly bills. Electricity should have nothing to do with the management it goes direct to the unit owners unless your Condo has not been registered properly. If you pay it yourself why would you give any electric money to the management.

If the management are holding funds for Co-owners to pay their bills (which i think is completely wrong) then perhaps they are asking for owners to leave sufficient funds for 6 months if they are going to be away rather than them then having to try and make transfers from overseas and begging the management to advance them money.

What has electricity got to do with management? Cannot understand that at all.

4 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Is this really a Condo or an Appartement?
I only ever heard in appartements of paying electric to the manager. Condo I was thinking always pays direct to the electric company (MEA/PEA).

In our condominiums the administration pays for the electricity. But we get the PEA bill with the monthly bill for other expenses which includes the admin fee and water. And then we pay for everything together.

• Thanks 1