What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

On 10/19/2023 at 10:56 AM, Jingthing said:

Binged on  De 12 van Schouwendam.

I found it a bit amateurish compared to similar US or UK series and there were a number of plot twists with questionable believability.

But it was still a good watch.

The main reason for me was the acting of the lead female detective. I found her hilarious.

I started watching this yesterday. I watched the first 3 episodes back to back and I agree it's not as slick or polished as a comparable US/UK series, but I found it enjoyable and well worth a look. It's available on 1337x & Kickass.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I watched a little gem of a movie last night and one that became available on BBC iPlayer just recently, called, "Official Secrets" and I don't think it's release was heralded with much of a fanfare, however I found it very enjoyable.

It starred Keira Knightley, of whom I'm not a great fan, but she played the role (as it was a true story) very well, and Ralph Fiennes was excellent in the smaller part which he played, and Matt Smith was also a driving force in it.

They were clips from various news programmes which showed George Bush, Tony Blair and Colin Powell orchestrating things, which put a lot of it into perspective.

The ending was a surprise, and just before the final credits rolled, a few snippets of information were shown on screen and they justified what had happened in the movie.

+1 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

I watched a little gem of a movie last night and one that became available on BBC iPlayer just recently, called, "Official Secrets" and I don't think it's release was heralded with much of a fanfare, however I found it very enjoyable.

It starred Keira Knightley, of whom I'm not a great fan, but she played the role (as it was a true story) very well, and Ralph Fiennes was excellent in the smaller part which he played, and Matt Smith was also a driving force in it.

They were clips from various news programmes which showed George Bush, Tony Blair and Colin Powell orchestrating things, which put a lot of it into perspective.

The ending was a surprise, and just before the final credits rolled, a few snippets of information were shown on screen and they justified what had happened in the movie.

I agree. I'm also not normally a fan of KN, but now and again she does put in some sterling performances. I enjoyed this movie. The imitation game was another of her best works IMHO.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 4:23 PM, Will27 said:

Look at the heading.

AKA PMTA

@Will27 only does it to make it difficult .. it’s like a bit of a treasure hunt. I like it! It just adds a little more interest value. I miss wills old Dalmation avatar the reaction icons in this thread, it gave a little

indication of the regular contributors rating.

I only found the isereali version, through the auto downloader and will find the subbed version when I get around to it.

Just got around to watching The Reckoning - I thought the first two episodes were excellent, I liked the way Steve cougan played the role of the nasty <deleted> that jimi saville was and the journalist, who I remember some were reconstructed scenes from when Louis met jimi - I will

watch the Louis Theroux doc again this week. 

@mikebell Brassic got a bit stale last season, but I’m enjoying this series. Funny as f but never as good as S01.

im also enjoying the final season of Billions

I noticed slow horses returns at the end of November or thereabouts. 

Edited by recom273

On 10/19/2023 at 4:52 PM, Will27 said:

New show just starting to drop now.
Has good reviews.

Summary: Four detectives in four different time periods of London find themselves investigating the same murder.

Bodies Netflix

I'm 4 eps in and can recommend this. Can't comment much without spoiling, better to experience it with no foreknowledge

9/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrJUDWRDTos

Enjoying Bosch: Legacy S02 Freevee. 4 eps in, two released per week. Classic Bosch. 9/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZpfJIpH0No

As with John Wick, Lance Reddick is missed.

Also enjoying Lessons in Chemistry, Apple TV+, but few here might find it interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

@Will27 only does it to make it difficult .. it’s like a bit of a treasure hunt. I like it! It just adds a little more interest value. I miss wills old Dalmation avatar the reaction icons in this thread, it gave a little

indication of the regular contributors rating.

I only found the isereali version, through the auto downloader and will find the subbed version when I get around to it.

Just got around to watching The Reckoning - I thought the first two episodes were excellent, I liked the way Steve cougan played the role of the nasty <deleted> that jimi saville was and the journalist, who I remember some were reconstructed scenes from when Louis met jimi - I will

watch the Louis Theroux doc again this week. 

@mikebell Brassic got a bit stale last season, but I’m enjoying this series. Funny as f but never as good as S01.

im also enjoying the final season of Billions

I noticed slow horses returns at the end of November or thereabouts. 

Honestly mate

I'm not trying to be difficult.

I usually post the name as on the website, for this one TPB.

A poster ages ago asked me to post the English name as well.

PMTA has hard coded subs.

When TV updated, for some reason my avatar got deleted.

Will look into it.

I love the farmer Jim on Brassic.

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

Honestly mate

I'm not trying to be difficult.

I usually post the name as on the website, for this one TPB.

A poster ages ago asked me to post the English name as well.

PMTA has hard coded subs.

When TV updated, for some reason my avatar got deleted.

Will look into it.

I love the farmer Jim on Brassic.

I wasn’t having a pop, all your recommendations are always well accepted.The Dalmatian was always a bit of seal of quality 🙂

I use sonarr / radarr / prowlarr /  jellyseer to download stuff, it avoids spending any time on torrent sites - you to just type the show into the box, searches all the trackers and downloads the best copy. Sometimes you need to do a bit of digging to get to the right name, it’s all good funl. 

Even these sites like tvdb, tmdb and IMDb can’t agree on titles  - I don’t know if anyone notices, but the guys who cap these shows for the torrents and Usenet community do, tv channels are constantly renaming shows and episodes before and after they are shown. I’m told it’s a nightmare. 

I have orders from the doc atm, stay in bed and rest - just watched The Wimbledon Murders, a sky productionan interesting tale of a time I know nothing about.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Watched The Continental last night, some good casting, Ben Johnson was a good choice, potter from Myans. The soundtrack is well picked

I too enjoyed this three-part prequel. I was sure I wouldn't but I was hooked.

And yes, the soundtrack certainly stood out, right from the get-go: I Feel Love by Donna Summer.

https://screenrant.com/the-continental-soundtrack-song-guide/

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Will27 said:

The Golden Hour AKA  Het gouden uur

Really enjoying this one.
Hard-coded subs on TPB.

A Dutch detective of Afghan descent receives a text message stating that his childhood friend Faysal is in the Netherlands. When a terrorist attack occurs the next day, Mardik suspects Faysal and investigates, with drastic consequences.

Thanks @Will27. Downloading now from TGx. Also on Kickass, TPB & Torlock.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, recom273 said:

I wasn’t having a pop, all your recommendations are always well accepted.The Dalmatian was always a bit of seal of quality 🙂

I use sonarr / radarr / prowlarr /  jellyseer to download stuff, it avoids spending any time on torrent sites - you to just type the show into the box, searches all the trackers and downloads the best copy. Sometimes you need to do a bit of digging to get to the right name, it’s all good funl. 

Even these sites like tvdb, tmdb and IMDb can’t agree on titles  - I don’t know if anyone notices, but the guys who cap these shows for the torrents and Usenet community do, tv channels are constantly renaming shows and episodes before and after they are shown. I’m told it’s a nightmare. 

I have orders from the doc atm, stay in bed and rest - just watched The Wimbledon Murders, a sky productionan interesting tale of a time I know nothing about.

I can't seem to locate The Wimbledon Murders, only found The Wimbledon Kidnapping. Where did you find it @recom273?

6 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I can't seem to locate The Wimbledon Murders, only found The Wimbledon Kidnapping. Where did you find it @recom273?

Sorry, my bad. 

I know I was before I was born, but I thought it was interesting. I was watching a little more about UK murderers recently, I caught The Neilson Tapes, Netflix, which was ok. I lived 5 miles from Whitehouse farm, where the bamber murders happened, all this I was blissfully unaware of as a teenager. The convicted twins of the Wimbledon kidnapping were in madam tassauds for a time. 

Could contain:

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2023 at 11:29 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Just discovered this, a little late but loving it .

Penny Dreadful (2014 - 2016 ) 3 seasons.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2628232/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Vampires, werewolves, Dr Frankenstein c/w monsters plus all sorts of evil beings in this drama/fantasy/horror starring Josh Hartnett, Timothy Dalton, Rory Kinnear, Harry Treadaway and Billie Piper with plenty of other “ I know the face but can’t remember the name “ actors.

If you like a bit of blood and gore , plus quite a lot of graphic nudity, then this is for you.

I binged on 4 episodes of Penny Dreadful as the ratings persuaded me to stick with it. There's no question that the series is a real work of art, but it's really not for me. Thanks anyway Andrew, I'm sure horror fans will love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delgarcon said:

I binged on 4 episodes of Penny Dreadful as the ratings persuaded me to stick with it. There's no question that the series is a real work of art, but it's really not for me. Thanks anyway Andrew, I'm sure horror fans will love it.

I gave up also at about the 4th eps.  Does seem well put together, but same, just not for me.

15 hours ago, Will27 said:

The Golden Hour AKA  Het gouden uur

Really enjoying this one.
Hard-coded subs on TPB.

A Dutch detective of Afghan descent receives a text message stating that his childhood friend Faysal is in the Netherlands. When a terrorist attack occurs the next day, Mardik suspects Faysal and investigates, with drastic consequences.

This guy played pencil in mocro mafia .. he was good in that too, if you didn’t see all series.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2023 at 3:58 PM, recom273 said:

just watched The Wimbledon Murders,

It took me a long time to find that some years back----ChaosTV ---- but yes interesting. 

Like skidding doors wasn't it, if he hadn't had decided to quickly go to Oz --If he hadn't given his Rolls to the next in charge----would it have been his wife that got kidnapped.

Once again we all got  to see the complete stupidity of the UK police in dealing with it.

Edited by oxo1947

Rewatched a movie I had seen a few years ago (though fairly recent) as I couldn't remember key parts of it, and so pleased that I did. It was called, "Get Out"........very good acting, unusual plot and good ending. If you haven't seen it, then give it a go as it is currently on BBCiPlayer

• Like 1

I think maybe Giddy mentioned this in 2021, Copshop not a bad modern grindhouse movie, worth a look if you are into it - I guess a little similar in parts to, but loosely assault on precinct 13. 

Three people locked in a cell block (incl one police), after a couple of hitmen enter the building and finish off everyone, cop faces a dilemma who to release - a twist at the end. Nice retro camerawork, soundtrack a bit predictable - Curtis and Lalo patched together with a modern score.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, xylophone said:

Rewatched a movie I had seen a few years ago (though fairly recent) as I couldn't remember key parts of it, and so pleased that I did. It was called, "Get Out"........very good acting, unusual plot and good ending. If you haven't seen it, then give it a go as it is currently on BBCiPlayer

I've seen that and it was good IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, recom273 said:

I think maybe Giddy mentioned this in 2021, Copshop not a bad modern grindhouse movie, worth a look if you are into it - I guess a little similar in parts to, but loosely assault on precinct 13. 

Three people locked in a cell block (incl one police), after a couple of hitmen enter the building and finish off everyone, cop faces a dilemma who to release - a twist at the end. Nice retro camerawork, soundtrack a bit predictable - Curtis and Lalo patched together with a modern score.

I enjoyed this. I quite like Gerard Butler and his movies are mostly decent IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I enjoyed this. I quite like Gerard Butler and his movies are mostly decent IMHO.

There’s also Boss Level, doesn’t feature Gerard Butler, but again Frank Grillo, the guy who played the artist in billions, from the same writing / directing team.

We don’t seem to watch many movies these days, it’s easier for me to watch an episode or two of a good series than sit for 2.5 hours on a movie. Even if it was a bit cliched, the production, casting, score and effects applied in 3 episodes of the continental was a prime example, given the choice of that or the new MI time cruise offering? 

• Like 2