What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

Are you familiar with Andrew Callaghan's youtube channel?

If not, check it out. He's a real American character, that's for sure.

‘Channel 5’: How YouTuber Andrew Callaghan Is Changing Journalism – Rolling Stone

How ‘Channel 5’ Is Changing Journalism, One YouTube Post at a Time

Former All Gas No Breaks star Andrew Callaghan isn't giving up the silly stuff — but he's ready to get a whole lot more serious

Well he did a feature length video called This Place Rules which I suggest as well:

This Place Rules (2022) - IMDb

Note: Callaghan is now facing sexual misconduct allegations. This post is NOT about that. 

Dark Rivers

RAR

Episode 1 was really good.

After a policewoman from Berlin gave testimony against a powerful clan boss, she’s forced to begin a new life with her daughter in Paussau, the town on three rivers.

The witness protection scheme equips her with a new job, a fictive biography, and a false name. From now on, mother and daughter are known as Frederike and Mia Bader.

Frederike runs into a dubious private detective which puts her safety at risk as she fears that the investigator might expose her. Meanwhile, Mia misses her old life and covertly makes contact. This fatal move brings tragic consequences as the whereabouts of the little family become public. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Will27 said:

The Last of Us.

I don't really like this type of show so I'll give it a miss, but it has excellent reviews.

I found it fragmented this first episode = hard to follow.   Starts 1968 skips to 2003, skips ahead to 2023, the post apocalyptic world. 

Reminds me a bit of Walking dead, The Strain, Colony.  Unseen virus devastates the whole world/country, then military rules... so far nothing too fresh and new IMO 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 9:04 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just watched the first few episodes of season 1 (of 2) of Blood. It's a crime drama set in Ireland. I've enjoyed the episodes so far and it's well worth a look IMHO. Cast includes Adrian Dunbar (Line of Duty). I got it from TGx.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8991526/

Thanks - I have this in my to watch library, I was trying to remember the Irish series that were recommended in the past. 

I found Kaleidoscope tried a bit too fast, simple, and irritating - it all came off as an oceans 11 ripoff so I gave up. 

Some returning series for the new year you might find around, Sky Roja originally from the same guy who wrote money heist - Amazon Prime Hunters, and a bit of dinner time viewing, Hornby, a model world.

Currently watching Darkness: Those who kill is on E03 and I’m really into Manayek

Did S04 of Fauda appear anywhere I haven’t checked yet?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Did S04 of Fauda appear anywhere I haven’t checked yet?  

The long-awaited return of the famous Israeli series Fauda is almost here – season 4 will be released on January 20, 2023, on Netflix

• Thanks 2

I watched the movie, "The Pale Blue Eye" the other evening at the recommendation of a friend, and found it okay, nothing to write home about, but passed an evening!

It stars Christian Bale and Toby Jones, with a few other actors, one who plays Edgar Allen Poe and it does plod at times, but towards the end it becomes very interesting – – enough said.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Manayek series 2?

Where did you see Fauda?

Yeah, there's something I really like about Manayek, Im really busy at the moment, but I found it hard to watch just one episode when I had time to sit down. I really hope they nail Bakar in the next series - Doren Ben David, from Fauda is a real good character, a real nasty piece of work.

I don't know where Fauda came from, I didn't check, I have an auto-DL system, reoccurring shows appear and I always add recommendations from you guys. I also have Line in The sand, stonehouse and the last of us to catch up on

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm currently watching Rocco Schiavone (Ice Cold Murders) season 4. IMHO this is a great TV series.

From IMDB: Weed smoking, foulmouthed Rocco Schiavone is an offbeat Deputy Commissioner of the State Police. For disciplinary reasons he is transferred to the Alpine town of Aosta, far from his beloved Rome. The sophisticated but cranky Roman despises the mountains, the cold, and the provincial locals as much as he disdains his superiors and their petty rules. But he loves solving crimes.

Well worth a watch IMHO. You won't be disappointed.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6231158/

• Thumbs Up 1

I knew this was gonna be great, but I wasn't in the mood to watch it until now. It was great. A really fresh take on the original 1961 movie of the famous modern Romeo and Juliet themed Broadway musical. A Steven Spielberg movie, script by "Angels in America" Tony Kushner, same original music by Stephen Sondheim (American Jewish entertainment superstars trifecta). 

From the past: 

Edited by Jingthing

The Killing of a Journalist

In Slovakia, a young investigative journalist is brutally murdered. When the police files of the murder investigation are leaked to the reporter's colleagues, they uncover vast corruption reaching the highest levels of Slovak society.

• Thanks 1

As I like both Tom Hanks and Denzil Washington I decided to download and watch the movie "Philadelphia" again, and it was a little different than I remember it, so I'm glad that I watched it again as it did show the human side of suffering with regards to HIV.

This reminded me of a movie I saw many years ago called, "And The Band Played On" which included Matthew Modine and Alan Alda, which was very good, if a little slow, and rather than dealing with the subject like the previous movie, this was about the US government's inaction in trying to deal with this "plague" as it was called then, and also about French and US scientists trying to find out exactly what was causing this "plague", and their disagreements over who actually found the virus.

It also bought into the picture one of the supposed initial spreaders of HIV in the US, and how he blatantly ignored his symptoms and lesions and still frequented bathhouses throughout the US and overseas, easy, as he was a steward on an airline.

Well worth a watch if you can find it, as is the series on iPlayer called, "Aids: The Unheard Tapes" and some of the revelations (lip-synched by actors) from the victims themselves are an eye-opener, especially the one about "fisting" – – absolutely nauseating/horrendous.

11 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:
On 1/20/2023 at 6:02 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

Fauda season 4 appears to be on TGx in English (21.7 GB). Downloading now to check.

Checked episode 1 and it does have English subtitles. 

Update: I started watching episode 1 and there are a lot of scenes where people are speaking but no subtitles appear. Decided not to watch and wait for a better version to appear.