What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

On 12/11/2023 at 12:45 PM, recom273 said:

How about Vigil? 

I seem to have missed S01, so started on that last night.

And Arctic Circle or Ivalo S03 - I need to catch up on, dont know if its worth a look?

Where can I find S03 of Ivalo? Checked the usual ...

Watched May December. Reviews on IMDB were mixed but I thought it was great. Strong performances all around but especially by Julianne Moore, Charles Melton, and Natalie Portman.

The movie, supposedly inspired by a true story, concerns an affair between a 36-year-old woman and a 13 year old. She becomes pregnant with his baby before going to jail and when she gets out they end up marrying.

Natalie Portman plays an actress selected to play the role of the older woman in a movie and spends some time with her and her family in order to prepare for the role.

Not a lot happens overtly so I suppose some will find the movie slow but a lot happens under the surface. More of a character study than a plot-driven drama you would have to hard of heart not to feel for all of the characters involved.

A few episodes in and enjoying this one.

TPB with subs.

Four prison officers are forced to make some major changes in the prison they work in to help save their jobs, but those changes disrupt the fragile power balance among the inmates and turn daily life into a battle for survival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2023 at 7:56 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

Last night I watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 of Boat Story and it's good so far IMHO. It was brought to my attention by @mikebell and has been mentioned by a few other posters. I got it from 1337x.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23729238/

You both nailed a good one!

De halvt dolda

(Those Half Hidden)

Search with De halvt dolda

4 part tv series from Sweden.

Dark themes -- withnessing traumatic death effect on a young child, the damage cause by Christian religious extremism, Nazi skinhead youth, bullying of gay youth, online catfishing, alcoholism, child abuse, closeted clergy, neglect of the elderly by children, women putting up with abusive husbands.

The author is fascinating. Royal prize winner. He has been Sweden's greatest stand up comic of all things. His brother is a leading Christian intellectual. Gay of course.

I had watched this years ago and randomly started watching it again without realizing that.

I'm glad I did.

I'm not usually big on rewatching stuff, but it's been so long that it was BOTH a fresh experience and somehow richer for the repeat.

Highly recommended.

Don't be scared off by some gay story lines in it. It is not a gay tv series per se.

Those Half Hidden (TV Mini Series 2009) - Plot - IMDb

The story of "The Half Hidden" is like a tapestry, in which the threads run obliquely between four different families in two different decades. Weaving recurrent patterns, the story unfolds upon the loom of our vulnerability in lives that are as brittle as the morning ice. This is the story of those who survived, and this is the story of those who did not survive.

The half-hidden, Jonas Gardell engaging depiction of a number of people in the two eras. The script, brilliant acting and strong efforts directed by Simon Kaijser da Silva quickly made the half-hidden to a cult series - one of the most unpredictable, most poignant and breathtakingly exciting ever shown on Swedish television.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topt said:

I had to look this up as initially thought what is the interest in fishing online.........:w00t:

Thanks. At least I learnt something new :thumbsup:

Well on that topic the US version of Catfish tv series is fun to watch with famous host Nev. I found the UK copy version awful though.

The Artful Dodger

Eight part Australian series based on later in life Oliver Twist characters.

I definitely enjoyed this but its not at must see tv level.

While I know the face I wasn't really aware of the very talented star Thomas Brodie-Sangster. I find him very easy on the eye. I will look up his other roles. He kind of reminds me of a young Malcolm McDowell.

How Thomas Brodie-Sangster went from child actor to cult hero (msn.com)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The Artful Dodger

Eight part Australian series based on later in life Oliver Twist characters.

I definitely enjoyed this but its not at must see tv level.

While I know the face I wasn't really aware of the very talented star Thomas Brodie-Sangster. I find him very easy on the eye. I will look up his other roles. He kind of reminds me of a young Malcolm McDowell.

How Thomas Brodie-Sangster went from child actor to cult hero (msn.com)

We watched the series about half way through but lost interest and went on to other more interesting series, it is well done and well acted but somehow misses something, I do agree with your comment:

'I definitely enjoyed this but its not at must see tv level'.

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

We watched the series about half way through but lost interest and went on to other more interesting series, it is well done and well acted but somehow misses something, I do agree with your comment:

'I definitely enjoyed this but its not at must see tv level'.

Yeah I get that but I would probably keep watching Thomas Brodie-Sangster reading a phone book (for those that remember what phone books were).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14998742

When a peaceful settlement on the edge of a distant moon finds itself threatened by the armies of a tyrannical ruling force, a mysterious stranger living among its villagers becomes their best hope for survival.

From Zack Snyder, the filmmaker behind 300, Man of Steel, and Army of the Dead, comes REBEL MOON, an epic science-fiction event decades in the making. When a peaceful settlement on the edge of a distant moon finds itself threatened by the armies of a tyrannical ruling force, Kora (Sofia Boutella), a mysterious stranger living among the villagers, becomes their best hope for survival. Tasked with finding trained fighters who will unite with her in making an impossible stand against the Mother World, Kora assembles a small band of warriors - outsiders, insurgents, peasants and orphans of war from different worlds who share a common need for redemption and revenge. As the shadow of an entire Realm bears down on the unlikeliest of moons, a battle over the fate of a galaxy is waged, and in the process, a new army of heroes is formed.

image.png.999e2b869b7643416e4ac8cca70afa69.png

• Thanks 1

Probably recommended when it came out 3.5 years ago but I must have missed Series 2 dropping so have been back to watch series 1 & am really enjoying it. 

We Hunt Together https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10661302/

A gripping twist on a classic cat-and-mouse story, this British drama series explores the intoxication of sexual attraction and the dangerous power of emotional manipulation as two conflicted detectives track down a pair of deadly killers.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2023 at 11:42 AM, xylophone said:
On 12/19/2023 at 5:05 AM, earlinclaifornia said:

Bass Reeve has finished the episodes Truely intertaining. 

Couldn't find it on 1337x.to, nor for that matter "Slow Horses"??

I'm watching Bass Reeves now. I got it from TGx.

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2023 at 9:04 PM, Will27 said:

A few episodes in and enjoying this one.

TPB with subs.

Four prison officers are forced to make some major changes in the prison they work in to help save their jobs, but those changes disrupt the fragile power balance among the inmates and turn daily life into a battle for survival.

Thanks @Will27. Downloading now from 1337x.

• Thumbs Up 1

Need a good movie to watch over the holiday break.....

I found an interesting YT video that gives an in-depth analysis of what a 'Cinema Vlogger' considers the best movies of 2023, omitting the usual superhero movies that we all love so much.

Here is his list, all except one is in the IMDB rating range of 7 to 8/10. 

1. Anatomy of a Fall.
2. Oppenheimer.
3. The Eight Mountains.
4. Godland.
5. The Killer.
6. May December.
7. Killers of the Flower Moon.
8. Past Lives.                                              
9. Are you there God? It's me Margaret.    
10. The Holdovers.                                      

• Like 1