Is it time for you to face reality and LEAVE ?

Social Media

To IM poster, I'not going to respond to that.

But. I was an unusual Hispanic boy in the 60's as an only child, but every summer since both my parents were farm workers in California I was shipped off to relatives in Guadalajara. 

I generally spent 12 weeks goofing off with distant cousins while my parents worked their asses off.

When my wife couldn't get a US tourist visa we all went to Mexico to meet my Grandson.

So yeah I have some interests in different countries not just one, and you really need to get a real life, and you know who you are!

Edited by GinBoy2

4 hours ago, parafareno said:

when you have busted up teeth (maker of the video) and cant afford dental makeover....maybe it is time to go home.....you only see teeth like these with drunkards

Hmmm,  that was an unfortunate post Parafeno.

Dan Cheeseman is the Managing Director of the group that owns several companies, including this forum, Asean Now. You may wish to google Choice Group Asia.

I applaud those of you who somehow managed impressive financial straits. Retiring early, landing fat pensions, passive income, digital nomad gigs, whatever. But from those I've met throughout my journey across Thailand, I found that's definitely not most of us.  

I've posted about this before, but figure it's worth mentioning again. My income as a teacher has been about $2k USD. $1200 from a public high school, and the rest I make online. It's barely enough for the married life.

I'm lucky I've got the wife's parents' place to stay with no rent, but am expected to help with utilities, grocery shopping, the occasional things that come up, and we have a car payment. We try taking road trips on my school holidays, some occasional eating out, but nothing extravagant. That $2k a month goes quick. Sometimes it's less if there's a slower month with less students online. We're both only 45, and can't save for the future, plan for retirement, buy land or build a house, or do the traveling abroad we like to watch on YouTube. For that we must get out of Thailand, and get more out of our next 20 years of work.

My MA in English and decade of teaching experience should be worth at least $60k in the US. My wife's hospitality experience should net her $20/hr. Yet it's not that easy to just hop on over. I just sent all my materials to the US for a teaching license, and found that it was rejected, with them nitpicking over this and that. I have the credentials, experience, references. Absolutely absurd with the massive teacher shortage they're facing, and the fact some US school districts are now accepting teachers with no creds nor experience. So I must now try tying those loose ends up again, and sending out apps for other gigs.

But on the bright side, seems green card sponsorship has been reduced to $23k (monthly income, or cash in the bank), and with your Thai marriage cert (5 years for me so far), I've heard some Thai wives are spending less than 5 minutes being interviewed at the US Embassy, then simply get their visas. Which might happen to me, once I get my future career options squared away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

For a lot of us, we have complicated lives.

Thankfully all my family gets along. Wife, ex wife, all the kids we're one of those modern day families.

Back in the day when couples stayed toyed for the kids BS, total  cr@@@p

My thai son lived with my US daughter, now works for her as his Boss

All of us, me wife, ex her BF, and the kids go an vacation together

It can can work out rather well

Can can? Well good good for you. Maybe this flowchart will help:

image.jpeg.6940cf26f87156f4b2f3110227541a80.jpeg

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I applaud those of you who somehow managed impressive financial straits. Retiring early, landing fat pensions, passive income, digital nomad gigs, whatever. But from those I've met throughout my journey across Thailand, I found that's definitely not most of us.  

I've posted about this before, but figure it's worth mentioning again. My income as a teacher has been about $2k USD. $1200 from a public high school, and the rest I make online. It's barely enough for the married life.

I'm lucky I've got the wife's parents' place to stay with no rent, but am expected to help with utilities, grocery shopping, the occasional things that come up, and we have a car payment. We try taking road trips on my school holidays, some occasional eating out, but nothing extravagant. That $2k a month goes quick. Sometimes it's less if there's a slower month with less students online. We're both only 45, and can't save for the future, plan for retirement, buy land or build a house, or do the traveling abroad we like to watch on YouTube. For that we must get out of Thailand, and get more out of our next 20 years of work.

My MA in English and decade of teaching experience should be worth at least $60k in the US. My wife's hospitality experience should net her $20/hr. Yet it's not that easy to just hop on over. I just sent all my materials to the US for a teaching license, and found that it was rejected, with them nitpicking over this and that. I have the credentials, experience, references. Absolutely absurd with the massive teacher shortage they're facing, and the fact some US school districts are now accepting teachers with no creds nor experience. So I must now try tying those loose ends up again, and sending out apps for other gigs.

But on the bright side, seems green card sponsorship has been reduced to $23k (monthly income, or cash in the bank), and with your Thai marriage cert (5 years for me so far), I've heard some Thai wives are spending less than 5 minutes being interviewed at the US Embassy, then simply get their visas. Which might happen to me, once I get my future career options squared away.

So I can't comment on your future employment stuff.

But so long as your wife has no criminal past and you can pass the financial requirements, the IR-1 is a slam dunk. 

Make sure you apply for the SSN on the 260 and her SS card and the Green card will arrive in the mail 2 weeks after you land.

After that the 'interview' at the embassy is a formality, the decision has already been decided, so unless she fesses up to being a mass murderer it's done.

My wife says her interview lasted less then a minute, just confirming her details

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2023 at 10:28 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

As for drinking too much, so what? As long as the guy isn't a problem drunk, so what if he wants to drink himself to death?

so what = there's a thread going about a guy in ICU who may have been doing just that.

apart from physical suffering, there is the financial burden on family / friends.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I think that depending more on where you meet those expats? On the golf course, traveling or in the beer bars? 

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Why, what makes one persons enjoyment superior to another's?

Where I come from, it have never been a culture to socialize in bars, except from getting drunk a few times a year or month, of course more frequently when younger. We socialize other places and doing things, sports, travelling, hiking, or restaurants, and even home. In some expat communities it seems more common to hang out at their favorite pub/bar

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Where I come from, it have never been a culture to socialize in bars, except from getting drunk a few times a year or month, of course more frequently when younger. We socialize other places and doing things, sports, travelling, hiking, or restaurants, and even home. In some expat communities it seems more common to hang out at their favorite pub/bar

Due to the price of alcohol in your home country no doubt (had a great time there, loved it, but way too long ago and doubt I'll get back sadly) ... but I digress.

All the things you mentioned are indulged in around the world to one extent or another. Your comment seemed to be rather condescending to one cohort, not saying I 100% disagree with you but it was rather judgmental.

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Due to the price of alcohol in your home country no doubt (had a great time there, loved it, but way too long ago and doubt I'll get back sadly) ... but I digress.

All the things you mentioned are indulged in around the world to one extent or another. Your comment seemed to be rather condescending to one cohort, not saying I 100% disagree with you but it was rather judgmental.

Not really judgemental, I just refered to his reply saying he did not meet many wealthy retired expats in Thailand, and my experience travelling around, those I meet, and those I talk to when having a beer, and willing to talk, is those local foreigners who live there, and frequently visit the bar we meet. 

Thats why we can get an impression about how things are! But of course doesnt need to be a truth. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 10:58 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I was bored,

I will never understand any farang that complains of being bored in LOS and has to leave the country because of that. IMO it's the least boring safe country to live in that I've ever lived in. I fail to see why anywhere else would be "not boring" in comparison.

One of life's mysteries I guess.

On 1/2/2023 at 10:58 PM, GinBoy2 said:

What always intrigues me are those that protest too much about any perceived criticism 

There is a great deal wrong with LOS, but it sure beats any western country I've lived in as a place to enjoy life, and that's not just about the women or nightlife ( though both are far, far better than the meager offerings here ).

I explored much of LOS and never failed to enjoy my trips.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 3:03 PM, Hummin said:

I think that depending more on where you meet those expats? On the golf course, traveling or in the beer bars? 

LOL. I wouldn't spend time on a golf course unless I was paid to be there ( golf- now that's a boring game ), when traveling I often went where other farangs didn't go, and when in beer bars why on earth would I talk to farangs?

About the only time I talked to farangs was when traveling in the back of a baht bus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I wouldn't spend time on a golf course unless I was paid to be there ( golf- now that's a boring game ), when traveling I often went where other farangs didn't go, and when in beer bars why on earth would I talk to farangs?

About the only time I talked to farangs was when traveling in the back of a baht bus.

When you live here and do not socialize much on daily bases, but travel often, you meet people living all over Thailand and naturally you will meet someone you will talk to ???? Mostly I meet many who riding motorbikes so we have a connection, but also random people living rural places. 

On 1/1/2023 at 5:25 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Now given the choice of some hovel in a Thai village or moving home to at least be with family and some healthcare, I think I know the answer

Unless you’re an American, in which case healthcare is considerably cheaper here in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Unless you’re an American, in which case healthcare is considerably cheaper here in Thailand.

Yes and No.

Once you get to 65 Medicare kicks in and even taking parts B&D is a heck of a lot cheaper than private insurance in Thailand, and unlike a true insurance business like in Thailand the cost doesn't rise exponentially as you age.

Not denying the insane costs of US health care, but Medicare gives you security in latter years, which I'm not sure insurance in Thailand does.

It's affordable and more importantly available, until it's not.

That's the dilemma many face as they enter their 60's and 70's and beyond.

But we all make our own choices, and God Bless 'Go Fund Me'

• Thanks 1