what to do against mosquitos

parafareno

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Not really. The dengue mosquito flies during the day. But as you say - it's no fun. I contracted my first dengue infection here in Central Pattaya already. I should move to a dengue free country now or hope for the best...

I too have had one dengue  infection. The doctor told me that it will be much worse if I get it a second time.

I am thinking about having the dengue vaccination which I hope might prevent or lessen the symptoms of any future infection.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Reduce the population seems to have worked well for us - Portati traps work very good and within a few weeks almost none remain - keep using traps but now instead of needing empty in day or two takes weeks and virtually no bites.  They more expensive than other versions but actually work and safe to use - LED types do not even work - cheap plastic air flow types can be a fire danger (been there - total unit ablaze from overheated fan). 

Promo Perangkap Nyamuk PORTOTI MQ-TRAP PR-25MB MOSQUITO KILLER TRAP Diskon  46% di Seller CIpta Mulia - Kota Jakarta Pusat, DKI Jakarta | Blibli

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/portoti-pr-25mb-mosquito-pest-killer-i174536187-s358395528.html?

Did you really catch mosquitoes with this or just other insects? Normally mosquitoes use heat, CO2 and smell to find their target but not light. It also might not help against Dengue mosquitoes since they fly during daytime. 

So how was your experience with this? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I too have had one dengue  infection. The doctor told me that it will be much worse if I get it a second time.

I am thinking about having the dengue vaccination which I hope might prevent or lessen the symptoms of any future infection.

It depends. There are different Dengue strains. If you get the same again like DENV-1 then you had luck. But if you had DENV-1 and get now for instance DENV-4 it can get critical because your body uses the DENV-1 antibodies to fight against DENV-4. This will be a problem... It can be deadly in such a case.

There were vaccination studies in the Philippines. The results were not good. There was the same problem with the different Dengue strains if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Did you really catch mosquitoes with this or just other insects? Normally mosquitoes use heat, CO2 and smell to find their target but not light. It also might not help against Dengue mosquitoes since they fly during daytime. 

We catch mosquitoes, and just about only mosquitoes (even when using outdoors).  Very much different than other such traps. 

Been a real issue for me the last 2 weeks.  Seems like they like falang skin only.   I hope no dengue here?   South and midway between SeSaKhet and Odon rachathanni

20230105_072057.jpg

Edited by Elkski

10 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Been a real issue for me the last 2 weeks.  Seems like they like falang skin only.   I hope no dengue here?   South and midway between SeSaKhet and Odon rachathanni

There is some truth in what you say. Mossies don't bother people who grew up in the tropics so much. I did and they rarely bother me and don't produce a reaction.

6 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

I never get mosquito bites, even when those around me are getting bitten.

many people have no skin reaction to mosquito bite

this mean you get bite but do not know about this bite

my friend catch the dengue fever but he does not know if mosquito is biting

photo show popular thailand brand repellent not expensive cream or spray

soffell-600x315w.jpg.9d3883938ce7276a4d45ccb332fec536.jpg

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I bought one of those portoti contraptions and it has zero effect, it didn't catch any skeeters at all and I still got bit. 14th floor of condo in Lumphini.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I bought one of those portoti contraptions and it has zero effect, it didn't catch any skeeters at all and I still got bit. 14th floor of condo in Lumphini.

On 14th floor they must be house guests.  But agree if only a couple the electric hand killer is in order.

For our ground level mooban house it has worked wonders reducing the numbers - but those that look almost the same are not the same - there was a seller using same name but appeared to be a clone at slightly lower price several years ago.

I light Mosquito Coils downstairs before dark and often use spray repellants on my ankles when going out. 

DEET is still the gold standard in repellants, but it is a solvent, so you must be very careful and selective using it.  E.g., it delaminates layers of shoe or sandal soles and often melts plastic and other materials.  I rarely use it here unless outside for extended periods at night when needing many hours of protection.  Around home, I use weaker repellants, such as Citronella spray, which only lasts an hour or so for me. 

For mosquito Coils, I put them in a steel dish with a lid (at least six inches in diameter).  If I don’t need the coil’s smoke anymore, I put the lid back on, which extinguishes the coil and saves the remainder for another time.  When sitting outside at night, I sit in front of a fan with a lit coil at my feet.  When using my (outdoor) toilet or shower, I put a burning coil in the room a few minutes before using.  The steel dish makes it easy to move around. 

I always have a fan blowing on me when sleeping. 

-Zenwind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

20230105_072057.jpg

Must be a <deleted> when you want to shave.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Best way is live in a condo with few if any mosquitoes. If out nothing you can do except apply repellent, but most people don't bother, only an issue in a Dengue area

I got Dengue from mosquito in a Pattaya hotel during the day.

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

On 14th floor they must be house guests.  But agree if only a couple the electric hand killer is in order.

For our ground level mooban house it has worked wonders reducing the numbers - but those that look almost the same are not the same - there was a seller using same name but appeared to be a clone at slightly lower price several years ago.

Nope, they only get in if I'm foolish enough to leave the window open. 

21 minutes ago, Zenwind said:

I light Mosquito Coils downstairs before dark and often use spray repellants on my ankles when going out. 

DEET is still the gold standard in repellants, but it is a solvent, so you must be very careful and selective using it.  E.g., it delaminates layers of shoe or sandal soles and often melts plastic and other materials.  I rarely use it here unless outside for extended periods at night when needing many hours of protection.  Around home, I use weaker repellants, such as Citronella spray, which only lasts an hour or so for me. 

For mosquito Coils, I put them in a steel dish with a lid (at least six inches in diameter).  If I don’t need the coil’s smoke anymore, I put the lid back on, which extinguishes the coil and saves the remainder for another time.  When sitting outside at night, I sit in front of a fan with a lit coil at my feet.  When using my (outdoor) toilet or shower, I put a burning coil in the room a few minutes before using.  The steel dish makes it easy to move around. 

I always have a fan blowing on me when sleeping. 

-Zenwind. 

Thanks for all the info! Like many people, I hook coils in the neck of bottles. Most annoying when yourself and others kick them over 15+ times per night! Unfortunately, my Mrs insists she can't tolerate the smoke indoors.