60 day extension based on marriage

12 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

At some offices.

Buriram, Korat and Surin I have never taken my wife. I'm sure there are other immigration offices the same but these are the 3 I can confirm.

There are approx 75 imm offices.

From this thread ubonjoe suggests wife with you in various posts.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1130123-re-60-day-extension-to-visit-your-wife/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

+1

It absolutely doesn't hurt to have your wife go with you. I also take here with me when I am going to extend my Retirement Extension :thumbsup:

Seems from post above that wife with you not compulsory for 60 day extension to visit wife.

I was always under the impression it's a requirement.

Happy to stand corrected. 

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There are approx 75 imm offices.

From this thread ubonjoe suggests wife with you in various posts.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1130123-re-60-day-extension-to-visit-your-wife/

Yep. He does.

However, the 3 I pointed out don't require wife present.

Information that may be useful to some posters. That's what forums are sll about. 

• Like 1

This got me thinking, as I recently came in on a visa exempt and am due to apply/re-new my Marriage extension in early February. But, while I'd have to pay 1900 for the 60-day I might as well pay the same for the one-year.

So I'd ask the OP whether he has a real need to pay twice by getting a 60-day extension before getting the one-year. If that is indeed his plan, which it might not be.

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This got me thinking, as I recently came in on a visa exempt and am due to apply/re-new my Marriage extension in early February. But, while I'd have to pay 1900 for the 60-day I might as well pay the same for the one-year.

So I'd ask the OP whether he has a real need to pay twice by getting a 60-day extension before getting the one-year. If that is indeed his plan, which it might not be.

I don't understand your post.

If you recently entered visa exempt your first step would be to apply for a non O visa which is would give you a 90 day stamp.

In the last 30 days of the permit you would apply for 12 month extension.

To apply for the non O you would require 15 days + remaining on your visa exempt entry. 

Sounds like that is due to expire early Feb.

Tick Tock. 

BTW the non O is 2k and the 12 month extension 1900baht..

Edited by DrJack54

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't understand your post.

If you recently entered visa exempt your first step would be to apply for a non O visa which is would give you a 90 day stamp.

In the last 30 days of the permit you would apply for 12 month extension.

To apply for the non O you would require 15 days + remaining on your visa exempt entry. 

Sounds like that is due to expire early Feb.

Tick Tock. 

BTW the non O is 2k and the 12 month extension 1900baht..

A brief background. I had a one-year marriage extension expiring that would have left me under consideration in a period I needed to be away from Thailand. This site, via you or Udon Joe, suggested I get a 60-day extension, but Kalasin told me that wasn't possible (wrongly, as this site confirmed) and that I should simply leave and come in by the 45-day non visa route and then apply for a new one-year marriage extension (effectively starting again, which is anyway no different than applying for the first time).

There was no mention at all of having to get a 90-day non-O visa before applying for the one-year extension. Was Kalasin wrong again? My plan is/was to go and apply a few days before my 45 days are up on y7th February.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There was no mention at all of having to get a 90-day non-O visa before applying for the one-year extension. Was Kalasin wrong again? My plan is/was to go and apply a few days before my 45 days are up on y7th February.

As stated earlier.

You don't have a visa. You entered visa exempt. 

You need to now obtain a non O based on retirement or marriage.

To do that you require 15 days remaining on your current permit.

Sounds like that's very soon.

That non O will give you a 90 day permission of stay.

After funds have been in the bank for 2 months you can apply for 12 month extension. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As stated earlier.

After funds have been in the bank for 2 months you can apply for 12 month extension. 

Ok, so Kalasin did forget to mention the need for an O visa. I'll go and speak with them. As they appear not to know their own rules, again, they might say I don't need it.

There's a month to go before my visa exempt expires, so it isn't that urgent. The money has been there for years anyway so that isn't an issue.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There's a month to go before my visa exempt expires, so it isn't that urgent.

Excellent. 

However that will skip along.

Since you have the funds in bank that's good.

Can't recall if you after non O marriage or retirement.

Obviously few extra docs for marriage.

Normally for retirement you need to show funds came from abroad however in your case that should be not required. 

So you have time but certainly get onto the non O. 

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Excellent. 

However that will skip along.

Since you have the funds in bank that's good.

Can't recall if you after non O marriage or retirement.

Obviously few extra docs for marriage.

Normally for retirement you need to show funds came from abroad however in your case that should be not required. 

So you have time but certainly get onto the non O. 

I've had the marriage extension for a few years. More hassle with the docs but it only takes an hour or two per year to put together.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've had the marriage extension for a few years. More hassle with the docs but it only takes an hour or two per year to put together.

Depending on your own preferences, the ME non O marriage visa valid for one year from places such as Savannakhet is another long term option for some. 

On 1/7/2023 at 6:48 PM, DrJack54 said:

As stated earlier.

FYI, I endured an interesting and frustrating time at the Kalasin office with an IO who very obviously didn't have a clue what he was doing. Not speaking a word of English, a basic requirement I would have thought for someone whose only job is to deal with foreigners who might speak little or no Thai, everything was done through my wife. She had, fortunately, had the forethought to bring a folder the size of which wouldn't look out of place carried by a barrister at the Old Bailey containing every document demanded by man.

The IO constantly referred to a rule book the size of an old-style London telephone directory, and decided I had to have a tourist visa. For that he took a signed copy of every page of my passbook, a photocopied page of the photos I had provided nearly a year ago for my one-year marriage extension, a nearly year-old Kor Ror 2, a copy of the marriage certificate, a copy of my wife's ID and house registration, and he at first wanted and then didn't want a map of the house location.

Then we were sent away while he had lunch and when we returned he interviewed me via my wife about how we met, how long we had known each other (32 years) and who knows what else. I then had to sign a form listing the answers to all the questions he had asked. When I asked how long my 'tourist' visa would be for he said two or three months, depending on what Khon Kaen decide to give me.

Then I can go through it all again, in two (or three) months, to get a new one-year marriage extension.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When I asked how long my 'tourist' visa would be for he said two or three months, depending on what Khon Kaen decide to give me.

You would not be obtaining a "Tourist visa" it would either be a 60 day extension to visit wife or a non O marriage that would give a 90 day stamp.

Hopefully the non O. 

With a visa exempt exempt entry you use a TM87 form visa application. 

Did the io have you apply for that or a TM7 to visit wife. 

Edited by DrJack54

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You would not be obtaining a "Tourist visa" it would either be a 60 day extension to visit wife or a non O marriage that would give a 90 day stamp.

Hopefully the non O. 

With a visa exempt exempt entry you use a TM87 form visa application. 

Did the io have you apply for that or a TM7 to visit wife. 

I'd prepared the TM87 and written under kind of visa 'non-O marriage', which he crossed out and changed to a two or three letter code, according to my wife. As he crossed out non-O marriage I guess he's given me a 60 day extension. But, as I say, he didn't know how many days I'd get. All clear as mud. 

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As he crossed out non-O marriage I guess he's given me a 60 day extension

If he was issuing a 60day extension you would have had to fill in a TM7 .

So yes not clear. 

When did they tell you to come back. 

On 1/7/2023 at 6:58 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Ok, so Kalasin did forget to mention the need for an O visa. I'll go and speak with them. As they appear not to know their own rules, again, they might say I don't need it.

There's a month to go before my visa exempt expires, so it isn't that urgent. The money has been there for years anyway so that isn't an issue.

you need at least 14 days left on your permission to stay to apply for a non immigrant ' O' visa, whicj you woll need to apply for a yearly wife extension

1 minute ago, steve187 said:

you need at least 14 days left on your permission to stay to apply for a non immigrant ' O' visa, whicj you woll need to apply for a yearly wife extension

There's a month left. But he said I couldn't have the non-immigrant O and had to have a tourist visa. What he finally ended up applying for, I have no idea. And nor does he as he doesn't know if I'll get 60 or 90 days.