Top 10 tips for successful lving in Thailand !

Social Media

7 hours ago, d4dang said:

never wai anyone younger than you....unless they wai first

Another silly 'I'm better than you' rule.  I wai anyone I feel deserves, including staff.  Everyone is equal in my world.  Especially if you're going to serve my food ????  I say thank you after every dish hits the table also.  Just the way was raised.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Another silly 'I'm better than you' rule.  I wai anyone I feel deserves, including staff.  Everyone is equal in my world.  Especially if you're going to serve my food ????  I say thank you after every dish hits the table also.  Just the way was raised.

That's nice intentions, but it makes you looks a fool or silly to most Thai people. 

Imagine a Thai traveling to UK or America and  shaking  hands and bowing with cashiers at the McDonald's or the supermarket every time they got served. 

Its harmless but they would look a bit foolish. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

That's nice intentions, but it makes you looks a fool or silly to most Thai people. 

Imagine a Thai traveling to UK or America and  shaking  hands and bowing with cashiers at the McDonald's or the supermarket every time they got served. 

Its harmless but they would look a bit foolish. 

Someone shows me respect, I return the same ... so foolish of me.  Many of the younger generation are tired of this 'class' division they were taught. 

You're comparison makes not sense.

By wai-ing a shy, wee little, it will help him, her not be such an introvert, and build their confidence.  Adds a friendly face to counter any prejudice they are taught at home.   Need to think outside the box.

• Thumbs Up 1

The guy has omitted the most important tip of all.

When returning home to your Mia from a boy's night out, always double check that your shirt is not inside-out, and you are wearing both socks. Don't ask me how I know.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 8:35 AM, Shop mak said:

Tips for successful living in Thailand?

● There is no guaranteed formula for happy life in Thailand. I made my plans for 2 years before moving here. This was the 90s, no internet forum to get advice ahead, only lonely planet books. I had them all.

Went directly from airport to isaan and lived there for years. Married a supposedly very good women. Few years later my notes had words like: not trustworthy, liar, deceive and similar. Never felt burned, only a lot wiser.

● Learn thai. A huge advantage in daily life. Able to tell store staff what you want exactly, compliment them, make friends you never would if you didn't speak thai. Get extra discount. Date ladies with no english at all. Know what they are saying about you, before you reveal that you speak thai. Learn thai early will be the smartest you did here.

● Learn thai culture and society, their class system. Learn how to behave to avoid problems. Never shout to a thai, never give the middle finger, bite your tonque if any confrontations. You avoid problems, hospital and death, this way.

● Learn who to greet first, general rule only older than yourself or one of higher social status than yourself. Example: you always greet parents first, also if you older than them. I greet a doctor first, regardless of age, due to his status. I don't greet younger people first. Observing many tourist greet store staff and waitress first, is fun but wrong. Sure thais love polite foreigners, but one must learn who to greet first, or not.

To a older person you hold your palm infront of your nose. 

To a younger person than yourself, your palm should be lower near your chin.

● Join expat clubs as a newbie, learn knowledge from older expats, not in the bars.

● Get health insurance, insure your motorcycle and get a proper quality alarm. Observe the fast paced traffic and frequent disrespect for all traffic rules - before you start driving here. Never be the first into a intersection when light change from red to green. Driving on red light is common here.

Road rage is daily event here. Before you give the middle finger or shout to another thai motorist, remember many of them wear guns or other weapons, and will use it within few seconds.

Even the other motorist was wrong, shut your mouth, bite your tonque and live another day.

● Make many foreigner friends, but don't trust anyone blindly. Never let anyone borrow money from you. One friend from 30+ years back borrowed tiny 500 baht, never paid back.

Don't invest in a new friends brilliant business plan. Seen many foreigners approach others this way. Beware.

● Control your alcohol intake, many expats end up alcoholics and broke. Before you buy any narcotics, be aware that many sellers inform police minute after your purchase.

● Control limit how many ladies you sleep with. So much eye candy here but some come with a surprice. Can be a ladyboy but you would bet $1000 that this was a real girl. Even old hand expats has done same mistakes.

Std and Aids are a actual problem here, more among freelancers and street walkers. Coconut bar pattaya freelancers on beach road as example. Some with herpes, some with hiv. Last year a hot spinner near Mike shopping mall died of Aids. She was known for going for 500 only. Many customers daily.

If a lady say ok no condom, she said same to her 3 customers earlier today. Now add up weeks, months, years, and estimate the possibility that she maybe has a nasty STD. If you still continue to be a unprotected butterfly, at least get tested yearly.

● Don't fell in love too fast, more so if she work bar or FL. Most have a thai bf that pick her up at 2 am. Most also have many sponsors sending money frequently. You noticed the many women in front of western union, you are seldom/never her only one.

Finding true love that last isn't easy. A few succeed, many fails.

Western love and asian love are very different. Here it means you support her, and also help her parents. Not all women are like this, but as a tourist or newbie expat, you are likely to meet the wrong sort.

th.jpeg-16.jpg

TLDNR. Only one tip......don't take life too seriously here.....we are outnumbered.????????

4 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

The guy has omitted the most important tip of all.

When returning home to your Mia from a boy's night out, always double check that your shirt is not inside-out, and you are wearing both socks. Don't ask me how I know.

hmm ... think you just stated, you don't respect anything or anyone.  But please tell us how to wai.

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

By wai-ing a shy, wee little, it will help him, her not be such an introvert, and build their confidence.  Adds a friendly face to counter any prejudice they are taught at home.   Need to think outside the box.

Wai-ing is a feudal acknowledgement of a master/servant status.

If you don't want to be master or servant you should avoid doing it at all.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Wai-ing is a feudal acknowledgement of a master/servant status.

If you don't want to be master or servant you should avoid doing it at all.

Never hurts to kiss up, with people serving me food ... ????

Agree, the whole concept is nothing but class division.

On 1/9/2023 at 10:20 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You got that right. We all married the right woman at the start, but some change to be the "wrong" woman in the end.

Just luck, IMO.

Many ignore the red flags or think the are exceptions to the rule. Blinded by what they think is love.

They hear the sob stories of other farangs bamboozled and fleeced by bar girls but think they are smarter and won't get taken.

Don't let the beauty full ya lads.. Some are wolves in sheep's clothing.

Famous last words:

She isn't like all the other bar girls! She's different!

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 1:32 AM, spidermike007 said:

Never regard Thailand as a foreign country, and always regard it as a distant planet. You will never be confused, disappointed, or perplexed if you adopt that attitude

Great comment????

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

I give you only 1 tip to be successful in Thailand. Don't be a naive dreamer and have enough money so that you don't have to work here. 

You forgot having a Plan B and C with money to fall back on and return to whence you initially came from when it all goes pear-shaped 

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You forgot having a Plan B and C with money to fall back on and return to whence you initially came from when it all goes pear-shaped 

Yes, this is correct. My retirement extension is only granted year by year and I am only a tourist here. I don't forget this ????

29 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Yes, this is correct. My retirement extension is only granted year by year and I am only a tourist here. I don't forget this ????

'Foreign passport holder' is the new phrase in town. Brought in so as not to upset the 'I live here , married a farm girl, gave her everything' brigade who quite possibly make up the bulk of forum membership.........

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

Seriously , do you wai the waiter or waitress when they bring the food you ordered to the table ??

Yea, I get up and shake their hand & give them a tip with each serving, along with a pat on the head.

Do you think before you post ... 

... that was rhetorical ????

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2023 at 5:25 PM, Stevemercer said:

Accept that you will need to help your wife/girlfriend's family if you want to be accepted into the family, and allow your wife/girlfriend to keep some face. It's a balancing act for us foreigners, but that's just the way it is.

Why? It's her responsibility not the farang husbands.

I didn't care if my wife's family didn't like me as I didn't marry them. Our marriage was fine as long as we were too far away for them to visit. My biggest mistake was agreeing to go live in the village.

11 hours ago, Denim said:

Seriously , do you wai the waiter or waitress when they bring the food you ordered to the table ??

The last person I waii'd in LOS was the MIL when I was pretending to buy her daughter ( sinsod that I got back ).

I'd give a little bow if I felt it was appropriate, never a wai.

11 hours ago, brianburi said:

'Foreign passport holder' is the new phrase in town. Brought in so as not to upset the 'I live here , married a farm girl, gave her everything' brigade who quite possibly make up the bulk of forum membership.........

What's wrong with farm girls? Nicer people than greedy city girls.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2023 at 2:29 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Ask a Thai...Thailand is the center of the universe they will tell you....

No it's Korea and Japan simulatanously that are centre of the universe.

The other chosen people along with Israel as well..forgot them.

• Thumbs Up 1