Consuming cannabis in Thailand: what tourists need to know about marijuana rules

webfact

image.jpeg
Thailand has relaxed its cannabis rules, but tourists could still fall foul of the law if they consume marijuana in the wrong place. Photograph: Vachira Vachira/NurPhoto/Rex/Shutterstock

EXPLAINER

After easing the ban on the recreational drug, Thailand has created a ‘weed Wild West’ with confusing rules. So what are tourists allowed to do?

Rebecca Root in Bangkok

Since the delisting of parts of the marijuana plant as a narcotic last year, cannabis cafes and weed dispensaries have become common in Thailand.

But confusing government amendments to the laws and continued debate about what should be permitted has created what has become known as “a weed Wild West” that could land tourists in trouble. “Since legalisation, no one really [knows] whether we have the correct information”, says Kitty Chopaka, an independent cannabis advocate based in Bangkok.

The ministry of public health has published a new guide, and “as long as tourists follow a set of a few simple rules. there’s nothing to fear”, says Mandel Menachem at cannabis information hub High Thailand.

So what is allowed, and what is out of bounds?

Who can consume cannabis?

People older than 20 and who are not pregnant or breastfeeding are legally allowed to consume cannabis.

Where can you consume it?

Smoking it can be done inside an individual’s residence, and cannabis inside food can be consumed at a licensed restaurant. 

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jan/10/consuming-cannabis-in-thailand-what-tourists-need-to-know-marijuana-weed-rules

guardian.jpg
-- © Copyright The Guardian 2023-01-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

2 hours ago, nikmar said:

one thing I ve noticed within my own, admittedly limited, circle is that people i know would never dream of touching weed are now trying, experimenting and getting in to it. my neice and her friend are good examples. it's like a new toy for them - ""oooh cookies ..... ooooh ready rolled joints"

That is actually very strange. The ones that are trying it are in their 20's perhaps?  Do they know if their " cookies" are strong or not? Did they smoke cigarettes before joints? Usually people who never did it before don't jump into it. 

40 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

That is actually very strange. The ones that are trying it are in their 20's perhaps?  Do they know if their " cookies" are strong or not? Did they smoke cigarettes before joints? Usually people who never did it before don't jump into it. 

my niece and her friends are all 20 something girls. never smoked before, barely touched alcohol. there s people in my office as well. they are enjoying the edibles. ????

• Like 1

The market will be for very controlled dose edibles and  vape oils, only a few select companies will have the capitol and expertise to get a new permit for this.   IMHO.  The hotel, tourism industry obviously had an even bigger stick than china. They don't want smoking rooms not usable for non smokers.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The ministry of public health has published a new guide, and “as long as tourists follow a set of a few simple rules. there’s nothing to fear”, says Mandel Menachem at cannabis information hub High Thailand.

Until the local plod says' "you're nicked"

5 hours ago, Shop mak said:

In a  country famous for unlimited U-turns, how long until this become illegal again?

I bet within this year.

How many of the population actually use this? Less than 5%??

Still, in the news semi-weekly

Govt will not return to illegal,  cat outta bag maybe some rule changes but will never be illegal again…

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, nikmar said:

one thing I ve noticed within my own, admittedly limited, circle is that people i know would never dream of touching weed are now trying, experimenting and getting in to it. my neice and her friend are good examples. it's like a new toy for them - ""oooh cookies ..... ooooh ready rolled joints"

And people like me who have had a lot of past experience with it, specially in the teenage years now avoid it like a plague as it creates tolerance, once you smoke some continuously, you become more and more insensitive to it and some people are compelled to smoke more It's really like kissing a mermaid, I would not recommend but still think that everyone should try at least once. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Cannabis is a huge cash crop both personal consumption and for Medical purposes, This is making hug revenue for Thailand as it does in many countries, I’m American ???????? And it’s nearly legal in almost every state.

5% Nope , It’s certainly consumed by many in Thailand ???????? For sure And certainly no worse then alcohol.

Wow! Another one claiming "I'm an American in Thailand!", there's nothing new under the sun! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, taninthai said:

You got a link to that factual information please

No where as near brain damage that alcohol does, a proven fact and keeps Dip -hits happy, way easier to control, weed makes you think more, less easy to control, mr Emu with head in the sand

• Love It 2

10 hours ago, nikmar said:

Novelty will wear off.  Most of the weed cafes are empty

• Haha 1