House Republicans voted to gut the House Ethics Committee, and George Santos said it was 'fantastic'

Scott

image.png

The House of Representatives Monday passed a new set of rules to govern the chamber that will severely weaken the ability of the Office of Congressional Ethics to investigate members of Congress over suspicion of wrongdoing.

"I think it's fantastic," Republican Rep. George Santos of New York said of the rules package, which passed by a 220-213 margin, in a brief interview with Insider Monday at the Capitol.

The changes came just days after Santos — who was reported by multiple news outlets to have lied about much of his background, is under investigation in multiple countries, and faces at least two Office of Congressional Ethics complaints related to his financial disclosures — was sworn into Congress.

https://www.businessinsider.com/house-gop-votes-gut-office-congressional-ethics-george-santos-fantastic-2023-1?utm_source=reddit.com

Business Insider Logos

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, candide said:

Definetely no ethics!

George Santos campaign paid staffer nearly $100k to pretend to be Kevin McCarthy's chief of staff and get money from donors ????

https://news.yahoo.com/george-santos-campaign-paid-staffer-115735463.html

For every one of these conmen that thrives, hundreds (or thousands) are inspired.  All this fret about the bad influences the kids are getting, what about these grifters?  Looks like gov't position is the most promising con to run in the 21st century.  They should put DT's image on a cryptocoin.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

No place for ANY self serving liars in the house. I do wish the protocol for dealing with these liars was equal regardless of which party they are from. I would never want leftists banned from the internet or otherwise censored for pointing out Santos is a wrongun....

I liked this post because you used the words "self serving". All pollies inadvertently tell lies at some time, most I think it's listening to incorrect information or misunderstanding or not correctly remembering what they read. Sometimes just reading incorrectly. When the lies is self serving and those factors are ruled out then it becomes egregious. One of the functions of the ethics committee should be to force those lies to be retracted under pain of censure should they fail to do so. The public has a right not to be deliberately misled.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ozimoron said:

All pollies inadvertently tell lies at some time, most I think it's listening to incorrect information or misunderstanding or not correctly remembering what they read.

No, it is much more sinister than that.  Best intro to how they play it would be to check out the work of one Frank Luntz.  Conversations turn into double-talk, then triple-talk, and perhaps deeper dimensions until the person being polled is answering "yes" to something where they meant "no" because of the way the words were massaged.

Hypothetical: The question is "do you think stray dogs should be killed?"  25% of people say yes.  The question is then asked with given situations and carefully worded verb tense, e.g. the dog attacked a child, and they get the number up to 80% .  They can then report the majority of the people support culling strays.   Not a good example but I hope you get the idea, and I'll let you guess which US political party is big on this deception.

IMO this is yet another GOP slight-of-hand to get people to vote for something that really isn't what it is presented to be.  It's catching up with them.

DT had a falling out with Luntz during the 2016 campaign.  Never got the details but DT defamed him with all the usual insults.  I guess he preferred his own deceptive yammering over Luntz's.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No place for ANY self serving liars in the house.

LOL. IMO If all the politicians that fit that description were removed from governments, there wouldn't be many left.

e

politicians that f

The words at the bottom are a software glitch. Didn't notice till too late to edit

New York Reps. Dan Goldman (D) and Ritchie Torres (D) sent a letter to GOP leadership demanding that they explain what they knew of Rep. George Santos’s (R-N.Y.) lies about his resume and biography, and when they knew it.

“In light of recent public reporting indicating that each of you had at least some knowledge of the web of lies used by Congressman George Santos to deceive his voters long before they became public, we write to request that you proactively and forthrightly cooperate with all current and future investigations into Mr. Santos, including the investigation by the House Committee on Ethics that Speaker McCarthy confirmed this week,” stated the letter, which was obtained by CBS News.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3814383-ny-democratic-reps-call-on-mccarthy-gop-to-explain-when-they-knew-of-santos-web-of-lies/

Edited by ozimoron