Continued record-breaking ocean temperatures seen again in 2022

Scott

Continued record-breaking ocean temperatures seen again in 2022

Continued record-breaking ocean temperatures with increasing stratification and changes in water salinity patterns give insight into what the future holds amidst a perpetually heating climate.

The state of our oceans can measure the world's health, and judging by the updated oceanic observations from 24 scientists across 16 institutes worldwide, we need a doctor. The three key indicators of climate change include continued historical record-breaking temperatures, all-time high levels of ocean salinity-contrast, and increased ocean stratification (separation of the water into layers) with no signs of slowing down.

https://phys.org/news/2023-01-record-breaking-ocean-temperatures.html

Phys.org

13 hours ago, Scott said:

Continued record-breaking ocean temperatures with increasing stratification and changes in water salinity patterns give insight into what the future holds amidst a perpetually heating climate.

More rain is my guess... and that thing that moves it around the world.. wind.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And the rain and wind are getting their heat from where, exactly? 

The root of all weather is the Sun, which heats the Earth. The heating is uneven, because of night and day, because different surfaces (such as rocks and trees) absorb and reflect sunlight in different amounts, and because sunlight hits the equator more directly than the poles. ????

11 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

The root of all weather is the Sun, which heats the Earth. The heating is uneven, because of night and day, because different surfaces (such as rocks and trees) absorb and reflect sunlight in different amounts, and because sunlight hits the equator more directly than the poles. ????

Okay. "However, what relevance does this have to what my question was trying to elucidate, Namely how hotchili's explanation that the warming of the oceans is due to: "More rain is my guess... and that thing that moves it around the world.. wind."

What some people do not get is that the world has had hot spells and ice age spells.  Yes the world heats itself up and cools itself down.  However these days there are those who try to say it is all man kinds fault.

Global warming yes, and the climate does change as well, but when Carbon dioxide is less than 1 percent of the atmosphere, I do not believe it is the reason for this rise in world temperatures.  Have we notices how many volcanoes have been erupting the past several years, as well as large weather changes, El Nino and El Nina, for example.  I just wished that more Real scientist would talk about what they think is happening. I am tired of Climate alarmists and their garbage.

• Haha 1

The average surface temperature for Earth during 2022 tied with 2015 as the fifth-warmest on record, NASA found in an analysis. 

The agency said in a press release on Thursday that global temperatures during last year were 1.6 degrees Fahrenheit above its average for its baseline period of 1951 to 1980. The past nine years have also been the warmest since modern recording of temperatures began in 1880. 

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/3810693-2022-tied-as-fifth-warmest-on-record-nasa/

12 hours ago, placeholder said:

And the rain and wind are getting their heat from where, exactly? 

The surface temp of the oceans are rising, this equates to more evaporation and water vapour rising, what goes up must come down somewhere, the warmer air over the oceans increase wind speeds.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

The surface temp of the oceans are rising, this equates to more evaporation and water vapour rising, what goes up must come down somewhere, the warmer air over the oceans increase wind speeds.

Half true. While increased ocean heat is leading to more rainfall, the scientific consensus is that global warming will actually end up decreasing wind speeds. That's due to the fact that the the far northern and southern regions are getting warmer faster than elsewhere. Less temperature differential translates to slowing wind speeds.

Global ‘Stilling’: Is Climate Change Slowing Down the Wind?

As carbon dioxide levels rise and the Earth’s poles warm, researchers are predicting a decline in the planet’s wind speeds. This ‘stilling’ could impact wind energy production and plant growth and might even affect the Gulf Stream, which drives much of the world’s climate.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/global-stilling-is-climate-change-slowing-the-worlds-wind

8 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

What some people do not get is that the world has had hot spells and ice age spells.  Yes the world heats itself up and cools itself down.  However these days there are those who try to say it is all man kinds fault.

Global warming yes, and the climate does change as well, but when Carbon dioxide is less than 1 percent of the atmosphere, I do not believe it is the reason for this rise in world temperatures.  Have we notices how many volcanoes have been erupting the past several years, as well as large weather changes, El Nino and El Nina, for example.  I just wished that more Real scientist would talk about what they think is happening. I am tired of Climate alarmists and their garbage.

It's not climate alarmists you should be sick of, it's the climate denialists that have been funded by the pro-fossil fuel lobby for a long time.   They have known the truth for a long time.  Here's one example of the truth they have been hiding from you, it's from the Harvard Gazette:

Exxon disputed climate findings for years. Its scientists knew better.

Research shows that company modeled and predicted global warming with 'shocking skill and accuracy' starting in the 1970s

Projections created internally by ExxonMobil starting in the late 1970s on the impact of fossil fuels on climate change were very accurate, even surpassing those of some academic and governmental scientists, according to an analysis published Thursday in Science by a team of Harvard-led researchers. Despite those forecasts, team leaders say, the multinational energy giant continued to sow doubt about the gathering crisis.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2023/01/harvard-led-analysis-finds-exxonmobil-internal-research-accurately-predicted-climate-change/?fbclid=IwAR05kkdBbmT_RvHx-4dIqDc_Ud_hbeGLUu7oCJ9q8QsdkRTCYQ0Xr8P6P8c

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2023 at 12:58 PM, Stargeezr said:

What some people do not get is that the climate is warming at an unprecedented rate, as are CO2 levels in the atmosphere.  https://earth.org/data_visualization/a-brief-history-of-co2/

Real scientists have determined that CO2 is a greenhouse gas; it prevents some of the heat radiating from the earth from leaving the atmosphere.  Real scientists are climate alarmists.

• Thanks 1