Agent recommendatons for Thai driving licence

bbi1

Anyone have any agent recommendations for getting a Thai driving licence? I was going to do it myself, but if it's going to take at least a few weeks to a month or more to get it, I may look at an agent if they can get it done immediately to a few days time. I have my English driving licence, IDP, residence certificate, medical report & all the required photocopies.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

That's for visa/extension.

3500 Bht for driving licence (door to door service).

Thanks, I thought we were discussing Driving Licences per the OP! That looks more agreeable and I likely will seek their help. (Despite living near to the Transport Office).

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Salerno said:

That's for visa/extension.

3500 Bht for driving licence (door to door service).

NO, its not!

18,000 they do everything about DL. Comprehend?

I wrote: Have many solutions for you, up to 18k. 

Read thoroughly, before you jump to wrong conclusions.

Mots replied to me directly, about DL!

Salerno, stop stalking!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Thanks, I thought we were discussing Driving Licences per the OP! 

Yes jacko I replied about driving licence as OP asked about and I replied with experience chatting to Mot's.

"Up to 18k" meaning many cheaper options available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Unless someone has learning difficulties or very elderly it's easy to do yourself, staff guide you anyway

Exactly - getting a Thai DL is one of the much easier things to do within Thai bureaucracy.

BUT... IF an agent can ‘queue jump’ and get someone on a fine time line in ahead of the curve and avoid on the day queueing then I can understand someone making that choice - they still need to be present though the process and take the ‘in-room tests’ and watch the video etc...  

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

8 minutes ago, mancub said:

Unless an agent can conveniently bypass the whole procedure, bt3500 seems a waste of money just to schedule an appointment.  Cert of residence easily obtained, while passport copy, medical cert and required tests at the centre you have to do yourself anyway. 

Just renewed mine by myself in Bangkok. 4 week wait for an appointment. On the day all done in less than 90 minutes. Don't see why an agent is required unless they can shorten wait time dramatically. Should not take and long if first time application vs renewal assuming applicant already has a foreign licence that they will accept. 

• Like 1

I don't understand this thread 

Maybe agents can bypass things in places such as Pattaya however I did not find that an option in Bangkok.

Approached Fatboy's and few other agents re Residence certificate. 

Not possible I was informed.

Eventually during covid I actually was finally able to do a 90 day report and obtain residence certificate.

However the offices were seeing very limited numbers for TDL .

OP, I used BSR bikes for car and bike licences. Run by a USA guy (Mark) and communication was good. 

Pretty much all they did was meet at the transport office with a guaranteed que number (#1)  on certain day and checked paperwork etc. 1800baht. 

The lass ran inside and made couple of extra photocopies that I overlooked. 1800baht. That was both licences. Can't recall if that included cost of licence fees. 

When agents are mentioned for anything I never understand why folk don't mention  their name and price guide. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Agents can often bypass the whole procedure, whatever it regards.

I asked agent for all options available.

Name one please that can "bypass the whole procedure" 

That is straight up not possible. 

Edit: I notice earlier you posted a link. Will check it out. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't understand this thread 

Maybe agents can bypass things in places such as Pattaya however I did not find that an option in Bangkok.

Well  this thread has been placed in the Local Pattaya forum so I expect that to be the subject of discussion.  I also expect the place to be busy as Russians and Indians want licences too.... Haven't done the job for 4 years, but it sure was a drag...one day wasted getting a Residence certificate out in the backward boonies of Jomtien... and arrive a few minutes too late at the Transport Office and you get bumped to 'come back tomorrow'....nowadays I believe you need to make some appointment for some time in the future. 

Still, what can an agent save you, they can't do your eye test or take the photo for the licences?

Edited by jacko45k

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Still, what can an agent save you, they can't do your eye test or take the photo for the licences. 

Exactly.

The post I questioned earlier re 'agent can bypass all' is not correct. 

When you actually go to agent site you still need to go to transport office do the test etc.

I missed the forum heading "Pattaya" as entered thread from topics bottom of visa forum.

In any event perhaps the availability of testing is not an issue in Pattaya but it can be in Bangkok and then an agent can be very useful. 

I assume it works the same in Pattaya in that after contacting agent they allocate you a "slot" certain date and away you go. 

Have any of you commenting regards Pattaya actually renewed your driving licence recently, to give us a feel for the current process ?  I'd like to hear your personal experiences to assess the worth of using an agent. A friend who did so a few months ago explained what he got for his money, and even though I am someone who has done everything official myself here over the years and is dead against paying agents for anything , I'm actually contemplating it when mine is due.

As I can't remember the exact details I don't want to post innacurate information, but I am sure it requires 2 visits now as opposed to one when I last renewed and with the particular agent it is a door to door service, which I'd value for a stress free experience given the motorway network has changed so much in the last 5 years.  My thinking is also influenced by the fact it's a 1 in 5 year agent fee as opposed to an annual immigration type agent fee.

Edited by kinyara
Addtion

It was around 20000 THB if you do not have any license from your home country and do not want to make any exams.

When I did it, because my home country previously took my driving license because of speeding before I came to Thailand, and I would have needed to fly to Europe and back to get a new one, it was like that:

Drive to the License Office

Watch 20 mins of some senseless video

Do even more senseless break check on a brake-simulator

Take a picture

Get your license

DONE

Flying home and back would have been way more expensive.

In my case, I know how to drive and just got my license sacked for a bit of speeding who cares, it was pretty convenient and the 20k a very good investment.

In other cases, where people do it who never drove a car before.. It is really bad, but after all that is how it works in so many countries in the world.

Took a friend to get his thai licence in bkk, he had an international from the uk, when i seen a lady at one counter talking to him i thought maybe he had forgotten something, when i asked he said she asked why he did,nt get his motorcycle licence also, he came away with a thai car and motorcycle licence and told me he had never ridden anything with two wheels apart from a bicycle before,

it seems they seen the small picture of a moped on his uk licence saying he would be allowed to ride a moped with 50cc  and assumed it meant motorcycle.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

Took a friend to get his thai licence in bkk, he had an international from the uk, when i seen a lady at one counter talking to him i thought maybe he had forgotten something, when i asked he said she asked why he did,nt get his motorcycle licence also, he came away with a thai car and motorcycle licence and told me he had never ridden anything with two wheels apart from a bicycle before,

it seems they seen the small picture of a moped on his uk licence saying he would be allowed to ride a moped with 50cc  and assumed it meant motorcycle.

This is supposed to be why the International Driving Permit is needed, to unambiguously show which vehicles an applicant's home license allows them to legally drive.  In this case, the IDP would not have shown that the driver was qualified for motorcycle driver's license.