Certificate of Residency period of validity (for DL renewal)

Hi everyone.

Think title of post is clear. I will get my 1 year marriage extension of stay in February, in Korat. My Thai driving licence expires in May '23 so planned to get a certificate of residence from Immigration while I am at Korat Imm O. in February and then renew my driving licence early, if I have to, depending on length of validity period of CoR.  (For convenience & to save the gas money going back to Imm.O in May - I'm far from Imm.O.)

But wish to know for how long the CoR from immigration is valid to use, to renew the licence, according to the DLT office rules. 1 week from issue? A month?

Would appreciate any helpful info on that, thanks.

There have been reports of varying lengths. The most common that I've seen is 30 days (stated on the certificate). Some reported 60 days or no duration printed on it at all. All of the ones I've ever gotten had 30 days.

You can renew the license 3 months before expiry so you should be able to find a time frame that works out for your case.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

There have been reports of varying lengths. The most common that I've seen is 30 days (stated on the certificate). Some reported 60 days or no duration printed on it at all. All of the ones I've ever gotten had 30 days.

You can renew the license 3 months before expiry so you should be able to find a time frame that works out for your case.

Thank you, eisfeld. 30 days sounds about what you would expect. 

But, as you say in your other reply, I should check with the DLT here in Pakchong, as things sometimes vary. 

Thanks. ????????

3 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Renew ur license AFTER it expires ( even one day)
and get 6 years

Yes, that would be ideal I know, zzzzz, but for sheer convenience, to do it early suits me best. (At my age, or condition anyway, dunno whether I'll be around in 5 years time anyway! ????) But I know what you mean. ????

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

As @Peterw42 points out it depends on the transport office.

When I did my TDL in Bangkok I had exactly same question especially as at that time there was long wait. 

I dealt with BSR ...here is snippet 

It varies.

Don't know Korat think Bangkok 30 days. 

Screenshot_20230113-100420~2.jpg

Thank you for this, Dr Jack. Good of you to offer this info. Interesting. I'm certainly getting the impression that I won't know for sure until either contacting the local licence office and/or the immigration office on Monday. But for sure it seems it'll be valid for 30 days at least.

Cheers. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

It would come down to what the local DLT will accept. 

As happened to me.  I was buying a car through a dealer and provided a CoR that was 2 weeks or so old. Dealer thought that there might be a problem at the local DLT in Kalasin. I don't know if the fact that the car was registered in Bangkok although physically present in Kalasin delayed things. Having paid the money the dealer allowed me to take the car but said it would need to taken to the DLT for verification before being registered in Kalasin and a new number plate issued. Sure enough, first I was asked to produce a fresh CoR and about a week later bring it for verification, which after waiting about 15 minutes took all of 5.. About 10 days after that the new number plates were available. A drawn out process!!

5 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

The maximum length of a Cert of Residence is up to the last day of your permission to stay.

Please show where this advice comes from.

So your stating that if I just obtained my 12 month extension and then applied for a residence certificate it would be valid for 12 months? Rubbish. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Please show where this advice comes from.

So your stating that if I just obtained my 12 month extension and then applied for a residence certificate it would be valid for 12 months? Rubbish. 

Please re-read what I wrote. I said the MAXIMUM.

4 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Please re-read what I wrote. I said the MAXIMUM.

Wrong.

The validity has nothing to do with current permission of stay.

Read my post earlier with statement from agent.

An agent that would be assisting folk with TDL on a daily basis.

Please post fact over what you imagine. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Wrong.

The validity has nothing to do with current permission of stay.

Read my post earlier with statement from agent.

An agent that would be assisting folk with TDL on a daily basis.

Please post fact over what you imagine. 

I am writing from personal, first hand experience. I have had multiple residence certs while selling vehicles where my extension of stay had less than 30 days left and on every one of those occasions the cert was only valid until the date of extension of stay.

You mostly give good advice on this forum yet you've called "rubbish" and "fact over what you imagine" on replies to me in this post. Please don't make it a third time unless you are 100% sure that you know I am wrong, which also means you're now calling me a liar.

21 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

I have had multiple residence certs while selling vehicles where my extension of stay had less than 30 days left and on every one of those occasions the cert was only valid until the date of extension of stay.

Please post pic of any of your residence certificates that has an expiry date printed on it.

I can post my most recent one however it's waste of time.

There is no expiry date printed on it. 

In Bangkok my understanding and reinforced by agents is 30 days.

This is not a new topic.

There will be posts of "my immigration office accepts residence certificate up to 90 days" 

BTW the op is about license renewal. 

For anyone that has not obtained a residence certificate this is what one looks like. 

IMG_20230113_204502_137~2.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

10 hours ago, Woof999 said:

The maximum length of a Cert of Residence is up to the last day of your permission to stay.

If you only have 6 days left, for example, you wouldn't get 30 days validity on the cert, only 6.

That's interesting and of course, makes sense, and it does affect the plan I had in mind, so I will adjust my plans based on that. Very helpful to know. 

Thanks, woof999! ????

• Haha 1

IME, last month, Chatuchak DLT, 5 year renewal auto/mc...

CoR issued at CW accepted within 30 days for APPOINTMENT purposes. My renewal date appointment was ~ +45 days and the CoR was acceptable for issuance for licenses. I don't think you can make an appoinment without the CoR.

I'd inquire at the Korat DLT.

21 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

ok;  came in on a visa exempt entry, got my cor on nov 29th<
Got my appt to take the drivers test,  for FEB 16th
so guess its still good till then   ????

They just need it to give you the appointment. If you waited till January to ask for an appointment they wouldn't accept it.

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

That's interesting and of course, makes sense, and it does affect the plan I had in mind, so I will adjust my plans based on that. Very helpful to know. 

Thanks, woof999! ????

You are very welcome. I'd show you a redacted copy of one of my certs but I don't get them unless I use them and I haven't taken copies that I can find.

However, below is a redacted copy of one that I was given when I bought a car. Some things to note:

1.) This is neither from Korat nor Bangkok.

2.) It shows the date of entry AND the date permitted to stay until - from memory mine did too.

3.) It shows the type of visa the person is on (NON-ED) in this case. I can't remember if mine did but I think so.

4.) This particular one I think also indicates that the person's stay has been extended due to COVID. Not 100% sure on that one but looks like it to me.

5.) Note the photo and the red stamp. I've never seen a valid CofR without one, but maybe different offices vary.

6.) Also note that on asking for a CofR before with only a few days left on my permission to stay, I've even been warned by the person doing the certs that I only have a few days left too (because the cert reflects that fact).

7.) All mine that I can remember were from buying / selling vehicles. The certs for my licenses were almost 5 years ago and I cannot remember what details they included.

8.) I hope I've redacted all the personally identifiable info on this cert. If I've missed something I'd be grateful if someone can let me know.

image.thumb.jpeg.1c96b61f69246e1b5d2be5e2bafab302.jpeg

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

Here in Samui, I was told valid for three weeks.

Three? 

It seemed from most replies that four (30 days) was the likely minimum. 

I believe you, phetphet, I do, but just really don't know whether to laugh or cry at the inconsistencies in the application of rules here. TiT. ????????????????

49 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

You are very welcome. I'd show you a redacted copy of one of my certs but I don't get them unless I use them and I haven't taken copies that I can find.

However, below is a redacted copy of one that I was given when I bought a car. Some things to note:

1.) This is neither from Korat nor Bangkok.

2.) It shows the date of entry AND the date permitted to stay until - from memory mine did too.

3.) It shows the type of visa the person is on (NON-ED) in this case. I can't remember if mine did but I think so.

4.) This particular one I think also indicates that the person's stay has been extended due to COVID. Not 100% sure on that one but looks like it to me.

5.) Note the photo and the red stamp. I've never seen a valid CofR without one, but maybe different offices vary.

6.) Also note that on asking for a CofR before with only a few days left on my permission to stay, I've even been warned by the person doing the certs that I only have a few days left too (because the cert reflects that fact).

7.) All mine that I can remember were from buying / selling vehicles. The certs for my licenses were almost 5 years ago and I cannot remember what details they included.

8.) I hope I've redacted all the personally identifiable info on this cert. If I've missed something I'd be grateful if someone can let me know.

image.thumb.jpeg.1c96b61f69246e1b5d2be5e2bafab302.jpeg

Woof999, that is very good of you to explain all that and to show the redacted CoR. 

I really appreciate it, thank you. ????????

I will take note of the details you mention when they (IO) issue me with one. And I am reminded that I'll need a photo!

Cheers! ????

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Toolong said:

Woof999, that is very good of you to explain all that and to show the redacted CoR. 

I really appreciate it, thank you. ????????

I will take note of the details you mention when they (IO) issue me with one. And I am reminded that I'll need a photo!

Cheers! ????

Don't forget that if you are renewing both motorbike and car licences, you might need to double up.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Don't forget that if you are renewing both motorbike and car licences, you might need to double up.

Good point. I will need both. Thanks. I reckon I could have easily overlooked that!

????