Retirement Visa

Are you on an OA visa? if yes the first year of the visa you can do all of the in and outs you want, If you are on an O visa or extension of it you just need to get a multi entry permit which gives you unlimited in and outs for the duration of your permission to stay

Thanks for the info. I read that the first time you get a retirement visa  (extension to non O based on retirement) its for 15 months and also read on the forum that when you renew your retirement visa its always around your birthday. Is the first retirement for 15 months, the renewal upto your birthday on the following years and every renewal after that from your birthday to birthday.

Just now, flexomike said:

Are you on an OA visa? if yes the first year of the visa you can do all of the in and outs you want, If you are on an O visa or extension of it you just need to get a multi entry permit which gives you unlimited in and outs for the duration of your permission to stay

I am a tourist visa at the moment. I have just started researching retirement visa's.

3 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

Thanks for the info. I read that the first time you get a retirement visa  (extension to non O based on retirement) its for 15 months and also read on the forum that when you renew your retirement visa its always around your birthday. Is the first retirement for 15 months, the renewal upto your birthday on the following years and every renewal after that from your birthday to birthday.

Where did you hear that? Birthday HAS nothing to do with renewal of extension of stay based on Retirement.

Maybe only you can apply for that when you are 50 years (and older)

My birthday is in May and just yesterday renewed my Retirement extension at Immigration

• Like 2

Retirement Extension requirements (very simple)

- Age 50 YEARS and over

- Money in the Bank 800k or 65k Money coming in EVERY MONTH

This is very simply put (the rules for Money Seasoning is another topic)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

Okay, one last question. How long in advance before your retirement visa expires can you submit the renewal.

This depends on your IO,

If you are on a extension of stay based on Retirement then it depends on the IO, some (like mine) allow 45 days before, but some only 30 days and less.

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

Okay, one last question. How long in advance before your retirement visa expires can you submit the renewal.

OK, first you have to get the Non O Visa based on retirement, you are fifty or older correct?, your Visa will be for 90 days, thirty days before it expires you can apply for a one year extension, it is no longer a visa, but a permission to stay, this gives you the 15 months on the initial application

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Assume you mean extension to non O based on retirement.

Need to buy a multiple reentry permit.

No limit on number of exit and reentry 

It cost 1900 for a retirement extension... Then... If you want multi entry,  need to pay 3800 and they add multi entry stamp.. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

I am a tourist visa at the moment. I have just started researching retirement visa's.

you convert to a non O visa, ( valid 90 days)< you than apply for a 1 year Extension (valid 1 year)
so you get close to 15 months>
if you get a multiple re entry permit ( 3,800) you can leave as often as you like

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Salerno said:

Somebody is winding you up.

Assuming converting from visa exempt, 15 months is down to getting a Non-O initially which is 3 months then you get an extension to stay which is 12 months.

Well actually no, some agents do offer 15 months. On the expiry of my initial 90-day Non-O back in 2021, the ThaiVisa forum agent here had two options for me, 12 months and 15 months, the latter being very much more expensive. I don't know how they would have got 15 months and the legal basis for that because I didn't go for that option, but they did have a price for it.

EDIT:

Here we go from my email correspondence back then:

The cost for a Retirement Visa for 15 Months is at THB 38,000 and Retirement Visa for 12 Months the price is at THB 26,000.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

It's important for readers to be aware that the reentry permit needs to be purchased AFTER the extension. 

If one was to buy the reentry permit just after obtaining the non O retirement that permit would only be valid till the end of the validity of the stamp from the non O . 

Yep,

My non o was issued dec 26th 
extension issued dec 28th
re entry issued dec 28th valid till March 24th 2024

gotta love those agents  ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

It's important for readers to be aware that the reentry permit needs to be purchased AFTER the extension. 

Oh, I always do mine both together in the one visit. About to do the same again next week ! Am I better to just get the re-entry at the airport then, what is the advantage of doing that ? Surely the re-entry is only valid up to the end-date of the extension ?

Edited by Tuvoc

3 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Oh, I always do mine both together in the one visit. About to do the same again next week ! Am I better to just get the re-entry at the airport then, what is the advantage of doing that ? Surely the re-entry is only valid up to the end-date of the extension ?

By all means get your reentry permit at same time as your extension.

Think you misunderstood my post.

For those obtaining a non O and subsequent extension that is two separate permits and if you need to exit during the 90 day period of the 90 day stamp you would require a reentry permit to protect that 90 day stamp

17 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Guess you mean extension not visa.  As many as you like, provided you buy a multiple re-entry permit.

I see a lot of expats are annoyed when an extension is referred to as a visa. My understanding is that it is an extension of stay based on the current visa so is still linked to that visa and in all fairness could be still refered to as a visa with no problems. Is there a practical difference that makes a difference or causes confusion? Kind of like how some monkeys are not really scientifically classed as monkeys but are still called monkeys. 

11 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

My understanding is that it is an extension of stay based on the current visa so is still linked to that visa and in all fairness could be still refered to as a visa with no problems

The extension is not a visa and causes problems when someone states that they have a "Retirement Visa".

No such animal. 

9 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

I see a lot of expats are annoyed when an extension is referred to as a visa. My understanding is that it is an extension of stay based on the current visa so is still linked to that visa and in all fairness could be still refered to as a visa with no problems. Is there a practical difference that makes a difference or causes confusion? Kind of like how some monkeys are not really scientifically classed as monkeys but are still called monkeys. 

My IO refers to extensions as a visa. Me thinks Extension is not easy for a Thai to say :coffee1:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

The multi re entry stamp has the date written on it -:I got mine at imigration when I got my extension of stay - both dates align 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, MJCM said:

.... or 65k Money coming in EVERY MONTH

I get a Non-O Visa and then extension using his :

A letter of guarantee from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate
that proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht
65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the
source of monthly pension)

I do not need having COMING to a thai bank every month. I just get that letter of guarantee from my embassy.

Edited by daejung
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, daejung said:

I get a Non-O Visa and then extension using his :

I do not need having COMING to a thai bank every month. I just get that letter of guarantee from my embassy.

I don't know of you heard, but MANY Embassies don't issue those letters any more. You are lucky that you still can get it