Will I be denied re-entry due to volunteer visa in passport?

I have seen some posts regarding this topic but no definitive answers. I apologize if this has already been addressed and answered in depth elsewhere.

I have a volunteer visa stamp in my passport from covid time from a Visa agent that was only used for approximately 6 months. It was used as a last resort to avoid leaving the country during uncertain times. All my visas before were either for legitimate jobs with work permits or education visas with universities (actual education visas, not only in name. I have degrees to prove it).

I have since changed visas within Thailand and have worked at a school for over a year with a legitimate work permit and Non-imm B visa since around August 2021. I am transferring to a different job, and my new employer advised me that I will need to leave the country to make a tourist visa on arrival, come back to Thailand, get the proper documents, then go back and make a new Non-imm B visa in a foreign country, most likely Laos. 

My concern is that I have heard rumors of people being denied re-entry into the country if they have volunteer visa stamps in their passports. I have also heard that it is advised to get a new passport, but I do not have time to wait for a new passport unfortunately (and it seems odd that this could actually fix the issue, as surely immigration has access to your records regardless). Does anyone have any information on the likelihood of being denied entry back into the kingdom? I plan to cross the border via land, not air, to get my visa on arrival (I am American) before getting documents to leave again and go to make the new Non-imm B visa. 

Can anyone comment on the risk involved in being turned away? Thanks for any input or advice.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall any recent reports about that happening.

Also you have been legally working for a year or more.

Why would they deny people with volunteer visas?

How much are volunteer visas and how long does it allow you to stay in the country? I haven't really seen much discussions on this forum about using one to stay here in Thailand.

18 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Here is snippet from an email.

The "he" refers to a lawyer based in Bangkok.

"he explained the volunteer visa was a scam roght from the top as it doesnt even derive from immigration or the department of business as the work visa does. " 

Non O volunteering (from agent) ended up a nightmare.

To add to the pain those that remained without were able to obtain covid extensions. 

The OP won't have an issue.

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How much are volunteer visas and how long does it allow you to stay in the country? I haven't really seen much discussions on this forum about using one to stay here in Thailand.

There were  many people that got 1 year extensions to stay here during Covid-19 that were  not done legitimately.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There were  many people that got 1 year extensions to stay here during Covid-19 that were  not done legitimately.

So volunteer visas are a "no-go" these days and are totally an avoid?

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Here is snippet from an email.

The "he" refers to a lawyer based in Bangkok.

"he explained the volunteer visa was a scam roght from the top as it doesnt even derive from immigration or the department of business as the work visa does. " 

Non O volunteering (from agent) ended up a nightmare.

To add to the pain those that remained without were able to obtain covid extensions. 

The OP won't have an issue.

Hello, thanks for your input. You say that the volunteer visa ended up being a nightmare, but then say the OP won't have an issue. Why do you say there will not be an issue?

14 minutes ago, justsomeguy23 said:

Why do you say there will not be an issue?

Because there's a difference between your history as stated and those that had been using every option under the sun to stay in Thailand (multiple visa exempt, border bounces, covid extensions, dodgy ed visa and especially dodgy "volunteer" visa that had no volunteering whatsoever involved). That's not to say you won't get questioned, but if you do, you have a good case to argue.

IMO, only issue with an extremely high probability of it being a negative result (virtually guaranteed) you face is if you wanted an Elite visa at this time - given you have a job offer, no real issue.

Edited by Salerno

8 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Because there's a difference between your history as stated and those that had been using every option under the sun to stay in Thailand (multiple visa exempt, border bounces, covid extensions, dodgy ed visa and especially dodgy "volunteer" visa that had no volunteering whatsoever involved). That's not to say you won't get questioned, but if you do, you have a good case to argue.

IMO, only issue with an extremely high probability of it being a negative result (virtually guaranteed) you face is if you wanted an Elite visa at this time - given you have a job offer, no real issue.

That's reassuring to hear and makes sense. Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.

6 hours ago, bbi1 said:

So volunteer visas are a "no-go" these days and are totally an avoid?

The volunteer visa scam is no longer in operation, as best as I can tell. The alternative education visa scam (no intention of attending classes) is back as the preferred option. The bogus nature of the process is much less evident and easy to prove.

Regardless, those applying for genuine volunteer positions through a legitimate NGO have nothing to worry about, and do not need to avoid anything.

22 hours ago, justsomeguy23 said:

I have a volunteer visa stamp in my passport from covid time from a Visa agent that was only used for approximately 6 months. It was used as a last resort to avoid leaving the country during uncertain times. 

The victim of September 2020 scaremongering? A lot of people fell in that trap. While others legally stayed on Covid extensions for almost 3 years.

55 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

OP, I'll just share with you my experience.

Like you, I got a volunteer visa in September 2020 when it sounded like a good idea (was not..). Anyway, after that, got some Covid extensions and finally switched to an ED visa. Went back to my home country for Christmas and I admit that I was quite anxious when I came back early January.

I had planned around 60K cash in Thai Baht and a ticket to Cambodia on day 37 or something. 

Anyway, I was pleased that most counters were open and it took 3 minutes to get to an officer. I chose a counter with a lady that did sound friendly. She looked through my passport (almost 10 years of Asian and Thai visas) and asked me if I had my card (?). She was actually referring to my Elite card as I used to have that visa. I pointed out that it expired in 2019 and that I actually did not have a visa this time. She just said ok and said I was allowed 45 days this time then. She stamped me in and was very polite all the way. Took 3 minutes total.

So, I was not asked proof of funds, hotel booking or a ticket out of the country. I was not asked about my previous visa history or what I am doing in Thailand once again. I may have gotten lucky, I may have had the right officer. But it didn't look as if immigration was really on the look for people to deny their entry.

One last thing, I do speak Thai and the whole conversation was in Thai. May have helped my chances, may have not.

Good luck, but don't stress too much!

Thanks for sharing your experience. That was very encouraging to read, so I appreciate your input. I also can speak Thai decently well, so fingers crossed everything will be ok. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I am on the same situation as you. 

However, those agencies I have been in contact with (mainly from the north) suggested that I fly out & back into Thailand. This is because land border runs have become somewhat of an issue nowadays with hard questionings. 

Now, this doesn't mean you won't be allowed it. But you need to have a reason for being in Thailand entering as visa-exempt. Especially, if you have utilized every option for staying for a long time. In this case, you will increase your odds if you have a proof of stay (e.g. hotel booking), return ticket to your home country within 30 days , and most importantly at least 20,000 baht in cash. 

To be honest, covid extensions are all warranted because they didn't want everyone to leave, and everyone couldn't leave. So if you have had covid extensions on your passport, you shouldn't worry. The same goes with ED Visas or any other Non-immigrant Visa because these are legit purposes for staying long-term in Thailand. 

The problem comes if you come and stay on multiple tourist visas on a continued basis, and border runs for that matter. This is where you will be most likely by hard-questioned and worst case denied. The odds are in your favor if you follow the above guidelines, and haven't had an issued tourist visa since pre-2020.

For now, you should avoid land border runs (as I have contacted to agencies who have stated this) and better fly out and in. Tip: don't act like your are doing a border run, try staying in a foreign country for 1-2 weeks so you seem off the radar a bit.

Good luck.

Edited by ddddan
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ddddan said:

I am on the same situation as you. 

However, those agencies I have been in contact with (mainly from the north) suggested that I fly out & back into Thailand. This is because land border runs have become somewhat of an issue nowadays with hard questionings. 

Now, this doesn't mean you won't be allowed it. But you need to have a reason for being in Thailand entering as visa-exempt. Especially, if you have utilized every option for staying for a long time. In this case, you will increase your odds if you have a proof of stay (e.g. hotel booking), return ticket to your home country within 30 days , and most importantly at least 20,000 baht in cash. 

To be honest, covid extensions are all warranted because they didn't want everyone to leave, and everyone couldn't leave. So if you have had covid extensions on your passport, you shouldn't worry. The same goes with ED Visas or any other Non-immigrant Visa because these are legit purposes for staying long-term in Thailand. 

The problem comes if you come and stay on multiple tourist visas on a continued basis, and border runs for that matter. This is where you will be most likely by hard-questioned and worst case denied. The odds are in your favor if you follow the above guidelines, and haven't had an issued tourist visa since pre-2020.

For now, you should avoid land border runs (as I have contacted to agencies who have stated this) and better fly out and in. Tip: don't act like your are doing a border run, try staying in a foreign country for 1-2 weeks so you seem off the radar a bit.

Good luck.

Thank you for the advice. I have not had any tourist visas (long term or Visa exempt) since probably 2012, and I onlt had a couple. Most of my other visas are either Non-imm b with work permits or education visas through a university (again I have the diploma and transcripts to prove it is legitimate.). I only had the one volunteer Visa from the agent for a few months between ending my studies and finding my next job during covid time. Unfortunately, I do not have time to waste in another country for a week, as i need to start my new job asap. I actually own a condo here and can prove residency because I have a yellow book (blue book but for foreigners) for my condo, and I will have at least 20k thb in cash no problem, with more in my thai bank account here if they ask to see it. Hopefully these things will be in my favor, but maybe flying is the better option for re-entry...thanks for your input.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justsomeguy23 said:

Unfortunately, I do not have time to waste in another country for a week, as i need to start my new job asap. I actually own a condo here and can prove residency because I have a yellow book (blue book but for foreigners) for my condo,

Saying that you plan to work here and that you own a condo here would NOT work in your favor in case of being questioned when attempting a visa exempt entry. Visa exempts are for tourists who stay in hotels; they would probably tell you to get a Non-B visa first.

1 hour ago, justsomeguy23 said:

Thank you for the advice. I have not had any tourist visas (long term or Visa exempt) since probably 2012, and I onlt had a couple. Most of my other visas are either Non-imm b with work permits or education visas through a university (again I have the diploma and transcripts to prove it is legitimate.). I only had the one volunteer Visa from the agent for a few months between ending my studies and finding my next job during covid time. Unfortunately, I do not have time to waste in another country for a week, as i need to start my new job asap. I actually own a condo here and can prove residency because I have a yellow book (blue book but for foreigners) for my condo, and I will have at least 20k thb in cash no problem, with more in my thai bank account here if they ask to see it. Hopefully these things will be in my favor, but maybe flying is the better option for re-entry...thanks for your input.

I will be doing the same as you, and I also have a condo with all my stuff. I'll give u input if things went good, bad or really bad.

53 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Saying that you plan to work here and that you own a condo here would NOT work in your favor in case of being questioned when attempting a visa exempt entry. Visa exempts are for tourists who stay in hotels; they would probably tell you to get a Non-B visa first.

I don't see that as a problem, don't most foreigners own condos here who come with a visa-exempt? If that's the case, one doesn't need to brag about it and just show proof of accommodation, return ticket and 20k in cash. 

24 minutes ago, ddddan said:

I don't see that as a problem, don't most foreigners own condos here who come with a visa-exempt? If that's the case, one doesn't need to brag about it and just show proof of accommodation, return ticket and 20k in cash. 

Thank you for your thoughts. Sorry if this is a basic question,  but does the return ticket need to be from your home country or can it be a ticket to a different country?

24 minutes ago, justsomeguy23 said:

Thank you for your thoughts. Sorry if this is a basic question,  but does the return ticket need to be from your home country or can it be a ticket to a different country?

You can show a onward ticket to anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, justsomeguy23 said:

Hello, does anyone know how many days you are allowed for a visa exempt if you arrive by land? I have read mixed reports but it seems like 15 days by land and 30 by air. Is this accurate?

I answered your other post about it (more info in it).

It is 30 days now. 

• 2 months later...