Introducing the new “point system” to curb traffic violations in Thailand

webfact

[VIDEO] Introducing the new “point system” to curb traffic violations in Thailand

image.jpeg

Many of us are aware that Thailand’s roads are the most dangerous in Southeast Asia.

Even though authorities have tried to impose measures to curb traffic violations, the number of road accidents and misconduct still occurs everywhere.

Well, on January 9th, a new “point system” was imposed, under which drivers’ “points” will be deducted based on their violation of traffic laws.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/introducing-the-new-point-system-to-curb-traffic-violations-in-thailand-this-week-with-thai-pbs-world-january-13th-2023/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-01-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Completely doomed to failure.

Like Thais failure to pay their speeding tickets, if their license is revoked then they will just drive without a license as the cost to do so is a paltry 400 or 500 THB fine (and a ticket receipt that allows the violator to bypass other roadblocks for the rest of the day).  Their is no downside. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, connda said:

Like Thais failure to pay their speeding tickets, if their license is revoked then they will just drive without a license as the cost to do so is a paltry 400 or 500 THB fine (and a ticket receipt that allows the violator to bypass other roadblocks for the rest of the day).  Their is no downside. 

At some point they have to get serious..... if someone is driving on a suspended licence, the car is impounded....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Surely by awarding 12 points to every licence holder to start the process is the equivalent of several ''Get out of Jail Free'' cards ?

It merely allows miscreants to rack up a number of offences before facing any consequences - thus actually encouraging bad drivers to break the law with impunity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

At some point they have to get serious..... if someone is driving on a suspended licence, the car is impounded....

Funny, my last purchased car in the name of my GF, I make the mistakes she loses her driver's license, how about the car?

Question… 

What happens if someone borrows your car and gets speeding ticket via camera which should show the driver. The ticket will be sent to car owner. Can the owner explain with photo on ticket it wasn’t them? or are you on te hook to get whoever was driver to go in and pay? ….

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Funny, my last purchased car in the name of my GF, I make the mistakes she loses her driver's license, how about the car?

If you were driving it, under the influence of alcohol say, makes no difference. It is her responsibility that her vehicle is not in the hands of someone who will weaponize it. 

Edited by jacko45k

19 hours ago, connda said:

Some time ago I got a ticket. It seems the normal procedure is that the police give the driver the ticket and they collect the driver license and give the driver a paper. And normally the driver should then go in the next days to the station and pay that ticket.

I didn't pay right away and a couple of days later they stopped me again. I told them I have no license because the police has my license. Here, look at this paper. And then the police let me go, nothing paid, no new paper.

And that inspired me not to pay the ticket and keep that paper. 

The police had my license for over a year and when they stopped me, I never had to pay. Perfect!

Finally, one day, over a year later, I went to the police station, paid the original fine (from over a year ago) and they gave me the license back. No problem. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I got a ticket. It seems the normal procedure is that the police give the driver the ticket and they collect the driver license and give the driver a paper. And normally the driver should then go in the next days to the station and pay that ticket.

I didn't pay right away and a couple of days later they stopped me again. I told them I have no license because the police has my license. Here, look at this paper. And then the police let me go, nothing paid, no new paper.

And that inspired me not to pay the ticket and keep that paper. 

The police had my license for over a year and when they stopped me, I never had to pay. Perfect!

Finally, one day, over a year later, I went to the police station, paid the original fine (from over a year ago) and they gave me the license back. No problem. Thanks.

Could always go for option, 3

Don't do bad stuff on the roads in the first place. :coffee1:

Edited by Orinoco