Prenuptial agreement

Chetzee

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'd assume that your ex-spouse would have to file a claim in the country where the assets are, not in Thailand, and where they are covered by the pre-nup.

I am not married but for whatever reason I thought about that today.

If I would be married in Thailand without any pre-nup and if I would have money in my personal bank account in Europe, how would my theoretical Thai ex-wife be able to get 1/2 of that money? Somehow I guess that would be difficult, especially if this is only about a divorce and not child support. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If I would be married in Thailand without any pre-nup and if I would have money in my personal bank account in Europe, how would my theoretical Thai ex-wife be able to get 1/2 of that money? Somehow I guess that would be difficult, especially if this is only about a divorce and not child support. 

If you continue living in Thailand, then it is very easy.  If not, then it depends on what conventions about support in family law the country you are then living in and the country where the assets are held has signed.  So it is not as difficult as you imagine, but as it costs a lot of money, somebody would only pursue this for big amounts

Edited by K2938
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

I understand my Thai  50/50.

How does it work with the wifeys assets.

If she has house and rai do they go into the melting pot 50/50 as well?????????

Farangs can't own land, so why would that be considered? If she had the house before you married you get nothing of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not married but for whatever reason I thought about that today.

Which is why one should never tell wifey how much one has or where it is.

A pre nup would need to be applicable in the country that had the bank account for it to be considered IMO.

8 hours ago, Chetzee said:

specifically I was thinking of assets held out of Thailand . 

She has very little claim in the event of a divorce, on your assets outside of Thailand, unless you have been living with her for an extended period overseas (common law in California, for instance). And a limited claim on assets within Thailand, if they are not in her name. 

I have never heard of a pre nup within Thailand. Doesn't seem necessary as long as you are not married within your home nation. Am I wrong about that? 

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which is why one should never tell wifey how much one has or where it is.

A pre nup would need to be applicable in the country that had the bank account for it to be considered IMO.

Then she's really not your wife is she? Just get a Buddhist wedding or none at all.

Think I not explain too well.

Wifey inherited seperate family house and rai after marriage.

We live in the marriage house.

Her assets are in addition to my 50/50 assets.

And no, just inquisitive. No plans for the Big Tammy Wynette. All is good (that I know of!?)????????