E-visa or consulate

Hi all , I'm currently in Thailand and planning to go to Ventiane to make a  thai visa. I already have  flights and consulate appointment booked,  what I need to know is if I can do a thai e-visa instead , can I apply for a thai e-visa whilst in Thailand at their official site or need to be out of the country , I need your advices , thanks

Edited by Keebon70

In the thread mentioned in first reply, I was basically saying that the evisa for Thailand should not be applied for while you are in eg Vietnam.

Felt comfortable with that position 

Fast forward..,.I just obtained an evisa (SETV) for Vietnam.

Oz folk need a visa for Vietnam.

So basically yes Oz but live in Thailand and just now obtained an evisa for Vietnam. 

One difference with the evisa that I just obtained is that there is no requirement to upload flight details. 

You only need to enter you airport entry. 

Don't understand why eVisa (for tourist visa) is so difficult for Thailand.

There are so many threads asking for advice on how to fill out the application. 

Edited by DrJack54

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In the thread mentioned in first reply, I was basically saying that the evisa for Thailand should not be applied for while you are in eg Vietnam.

Felt comfortable with that position 

Fast forward..,.I just obtained an evisa (SETV) for Vietnam.

Oz folk need a visa for Vietnam.

So basically yes Oz but live in Thailand and just now obtained an evisa for Vietnam. 

One difference with the evisa that I just obtained is that there is no requirement to upload flight details. 

You only need to enter you airport entry. 

Don't understand why eVisa (for tourist visa) is so difficult for Thailand.

There are so many threads asking for advice on how to fill out the application. 

Spot on. A key difference is that the eVisa for Vietnam is issued by their immigration department and that they use a centralized system without any involvement of local Vietnamese embassies. So the question of jurisdiction of any particular embassy doesn't arise when applying for an eVisa for Vietnam.

I agree that the process is much easier and smoother than the convoluted Thai eVisa process.

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I agree that the process is much easier and smoother than the convoluted Thai eVisa process.

No wonder people opting to enter Thailand visa exempt. 

Will be interesting to see if the 45 days due to end March 31 will be extended. 

52 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A e-visa should only be applied for while in the country where it is issued.

That is not quite true, the word "only" should have been "normally".

A UK national living and working in France can quite legitimately obtain an E-visa for Thailand from the London Embassy.

If you have permission to remain in a foreign country for 6 months you can apply to your own embassy. 

44 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Spot on. A key difference is that the eVisa for Vietnam is issued by their immigration department and that they use a centralized system without any involvement of local Vietnamese embassies. So the question of jurisdiction of any particular embassy doesn't arise when applying for an eVisa for Vietnam.

To certain extent, but a bit more involved than that.

I have just done a Laos e-visa and that was very easy but Laos only do a tourist e-visa for 30 days, no other e-visa. It is a couple of years since I did the one for Vietnam but think that was the same.

Thailand has a variety of visas available on the e-visa platform which has resulted in the tourist visas picking up some of the steps used in the other types, but you do get a visa for a much longer period.