Quick question about applying for an extension on Monday, but my stay expires on Sunday.

Hi guys.  I came in on a 45 day stamp, which expires Sunday, Jan 22nd.  Will I be charged for one day overstay if I go to immigration for a 30 day extension on the next business day (Monday 23rd)?  I think not, but I want to check with the wiser on this forum because I am close to running out of Passport pages.  Also, from what I understand I can't do it online unless I live in Bangkok, right?  I live in Nonthaburi.  I could hit the Bangkok border with a nine iron, but my address is in fact Nonthaburi.  10 minutes from Chaengwattana immigration and 40 minutes from Nonthaburi immigration.  Would it be possible to do it at CW?   Again, I think not. 

p.s.  I know people will say the sooner the better, but I have a hell of a week ahead and don't really want to spend a whole day traveling and doing the extension.  Monday would be much better, if I am not taking a big gamble!  TIA!

Last year I seen in the CM IO a young woman was trying to get an extension on a 1 day overstay and the IO told her very loudly that she was her illegally and she had to leave the country. Though I can’t speak for any other office.

10 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

p.s.  I know people will say the sooner the better, but I have a hell of a week ahead and don't really want to spend a whole day traveling and doing the extension.

If immigration officer asked you what you were doing to make you so busy you could not come in the week before, what would you say (given your entry conditions)? You were touristing so hard you had no time to visit immigration?

It's not like they aren't allowed to question illegal immigrants, as that's what you would be after midnight on Sunday night.

As for CW - no, you can't as confirmed by an officer there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

OP, you can disregard this comment. You will not be charged for overstay. It is perfectly ok to do your extension on a Monday if your extension expires on a Sunday. However, good planning tells you do do it a week before next time.

He’s here on a 45 day stamp that expires on the 22nd of January, are you really advising him that it’s okay to go to the IO on the 23rd to get a 30 day extension?? OP…why take such a risk? 

2 hours ago, novacova said:

He’s here on a 45 day stamp that expires on the 22nd of January, are you really advising him that it’s okay to go to the IO on the 23rd to get a 30 day extension?? OP…why take such a risk? 

Yes! Absolutely! Sunday is closed, and if do it on the next day, there will be no problem. There is no risk.

30 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes! Absolutely! Sunday is closed, and if do it on the next day, there will be no problem. There is no risk.

Wrong.

The general consensus throughout the site is not to wait until the last moment to deal with the immigration. Why? Because it’s too risky. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Personally I wouldn’t risk getting the one IO who makes up his own rules. Forget how busy your week is and do it on the Friday before. 

Too many variables and the possibility of something going wrong there or on the way there. Ignore the contradictions of getting it done ASAP to avoid a bigger hassle. As mentioned throughout this site, don’t wait until the last moment. But if you do, as mentioned above be prepared for a border hop.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

Wrong.

The general consensus throughout the site is not to wait until the last moment to deal with the immigration. Why? Because it’s too risky. 

I'm not part of that consensus.

I stated earlier that OP will be fine and added comment of best plan is always to do it early.

Here is old thread but nothing has changed.

In particular (as usual) take note of ubonjoe posts in the thread. 

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Should be ok given your extension expires on a Sunday, but common sense to apply earlier rather than take the risk. Hopefully this is not too difficult to understand.

Yes better to apply early.

Yes he will be given extension Monday. 

11 hours ago, 0james0 said:

Wrong.

Can´t care less of the general consensus on this site. It consists on a bunch of over-worried and nervous people. 

The standard procedure is that closed Sunday, can do Monday, even if one day late and there is no fine. END!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok. Thanks for all the replies, fellas. So, doing it on Monday is fine, but everyone seems to agree it is better to do it earlier. Including Ubon Joe, in the thread Dr Jack posted (thanks for linking that). I am going to follow the majority her, including Dr Jack and do it tomorrow, just to be safe. Thanks again guys!  

• Thumbs Up 1

I have the exact expiry date as i changed to a new visa recently and going monday morning.

It was too busy today so instead I filled in all papers already so i can be one of the first that morning. 

No big deal if you ask me, if the expiry would been saturday I would do it before.

Edited by ChaiyaTH