Ukraine war: Russia's Wagner Group commander requests Norway asylum

Scott

9 hours ago, ozimoron said:

A fact is something that can be proven true.

It is irrelevant how many people agree on it. Or disagree.

1. like proof that the square root of 2 is an irrational number.?

2.  any lawyer will tell you a fact is something that is agreed upon by both parties.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, papa al said:

2.  any lawyer will tell you a fact is something that is agreed upon by both parties.

No they won't. The defense lawyer will not agree that his client robbed the bank despite his fingerprints everywhere.

A fact is that the sun is that the earth is round, not everybody agrees.

On 1/17/2023 at 9:34 AM, jesimps said:

I think he deserves asylum more than most of those coming across the English Channel, in that his life will definitely be in danger if they return him to Russia.

There are not many who will celebrate a deserter running away from a combat. Especially, after only his 4 months service while running away because of some proceeding against him. But perhaps it's not true, who knows. 

Similarly, not many had celebrated deserters from other wars, many years ago many of them had been staying (hiding) in Thailand and around.

But nothing unusual, the deserters are welcome at the other side of the front.   

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saanim said:

There are not many who will celebrate a deserter running away from a combat. Especially, after only his 4 months service while running away because of some proceeding against him. But perhaps it's not true, who knows. 

Similarly, not many had celebrated deserters from other wars, many years ago many of them had been staying (hiding) in Thailand and around.

10 minutes ago, Saanim said:

So it's always a disgrace to desert an army no matter how brutal it is and no matter how severely it violates human rights?

Another report from OppositeWorld.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Oh. Norway! The happiest country of the world somehow is the country of Breivick. Right place to request an asylum.

Actually, that honor goes to Finland.

But even if it were Norway, why would the Breivick incident, which occurred over ten years ago,  disqualify it? Apart from some postage stamp sized countries like Monaco, Andorra, Luxembourg, and San Marino, Norway has the lowest homicide rate in all of Europe.

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5/rankings

• Like 1

4 hours ago, papa al said:

Off-topic, but there is proof the square root of 2 is an irrational number.  It's not that difficult:  https://www.wikihow.life/Prove-That-the-Square-Root-of-Two-Is-Irrational

No lawyer with any brains will tell you that something that has been agreed upon by both parties is a fact. 

Do you make any attempt to verify what you post?  Or do you just troll?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saanim said:

Try reading the full article.

"Gulagu.net's founder Vladimir Osechkin told the BBC that Mr Medvedev had joined the paramilitary group in July 2022 on a four-month contract, but had deserted after witnessing a host of human rights abuses and war crimes while serving in Ukraine."

"In a video posted by Gulagu.net to its social media channels, Mr Medvedev said he fled Ukraine in November after being informed that the group intended to extend his contract indefinitely."

He signed a four month contract with a private business, witnessed war crimes, and was told he couldn't leave after four months.  He didn't desert, he fled enslavement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, heybruce said:

Try reading the full article.

"Gulagu.net's founder Vladimir Osechkin told the BBC that Mr Medvedev had joined the paramilitary group in July 2022 on a four-month contract, but had deserted after witnessing a host of human rights abuses and war crimes while serving in Ukraine."

"In a video posted by Gulagu.net to its social media channels, Mr Medvedev said he fled Ukraine in November after being informed that the group intended to extend his contract indefinitely."

He signed a four month contract with a private business, witnessed war crimes, and was told he couldn't leave after four months.  He didn't desert, he fled enslavement.

If you believe everything what you read? Perhaps it could give you some second thought why during the last year - and even some time before - you have not read anything unpleasant about Ukraine, have you?

And if even from an independent body has come something, it immediately caused an outrage, how dare they... 

And beside the official independent agencies, there are many others who try to report directly from the locations what's really going on.  Do you think you will find in your favorite sources?

There is only one truth: the truth is the first casualty of a war - and long before...  

Just released news in Norway

Google Translate 

Wagner defector Andrej Medvedev crossed the border in a place that should be almost impossible to cross undetected. Several experts believe he was helped by border guards.

Andrej Medvedev has revealed that he received help to cross the border, but without going into detail about how.

Several defense experts Dagbladet has spoken to believe there is a real probability that the help has come from the Russian border guards.

Lieutenant Colonel Palle Ydstebø, head teacher at the War School, believes it is very difficult and demanding to avoid being seen from the observation towers or by the border patrols, especially now in winter when the guards can quickly spot footprints in the snow

https://www.aftenposten.no/verden/i/eEv3AK/direktestudio-krigen-i-ukraina?pinnedEntry=68402

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I see; you believed the part about Osechkin deserting after four months, but not the part about him having only a four month contract. 

If you didn't trust the news source, why did you use the parts of the article that you thought could make him look bad?

Nailed him.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Or it could be that the same failings that afflict the Russian military elsewhere also afflict the border guards. Maybe they had a previous appointment with a bottle of vodka.

Perhaps they had a short touch of Nelson's eye.

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Or it could be that the same failings that afflict the Russian military elsewhere also afflict the border guards. Maybe they had a previous appointment with a bottle of vodka.

Who really knows, and who knows who is genuinely on the run or not for what reasons? Im sure russia have 100 of sleeping cells as well the rest of europe. Met a few on a fishing trip last summer close to a power station. All brand new equipment, new fishing clothes, new cars, camping equipment, and not really a well known fishing spot. If genuin fishers on holiday, they had gone somewhere else. 

Speculations is if he have information our intelligence  bureaus is going to spend resources on. Who knows.

Why didnt he just stay in Ukraine? I thought they offered Amnesty and paid deserters there? 

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

The rules might be different for mercenaries like ex-members of the Wagner Group. .

That route he took, is difficult, and trust me, I was on the border during winter when serving in the Army. You need experience to survive 12 hours out there, and without experience, local help and proper equipment, you will not make it. 

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

That route he took, is difficult, and trust me, I was on the border during winter when serving in the Army. You need experience to survive 12 hours out there, and without experience, local help and proper equipment, you will not make it. 

I have no doubt. But you asked why he didn't surrender to the Ukrainians? I pointed out that the fact that he served in the Wagner Group might explain that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Why didnt he just stay in Ukraine? I thought they offered Amnesty and paid deserters there? 

He was probably aware of the video that circulated of another ex Wagner who stayed in Ukraine then ended up back in Wagner's hands getting executed with a sledgehammer to the head. The circumstances of how he ended back in Russian hands are not totally clear although there was talk of him being in a prisoner swap?

Prison, war and revenge killing: the inside story of the Wagner ‘sledgehammer murder’ case

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I have no doubt. But you asked why he didn't surrender to the Ukrainians? I pointed out that the fact that he served in the Wagner Group might explain that.

Sure my bad, yes it might be risky deserting to Ukraines no matter from Wagner group or not.  

On 1/19/2023 at 10:20 AM, papa al said:

1. I guess various Ukranians have various opinion.

2. Russians have been trying to resolve the situation

since 2014/Minsk Accord was

defaulted on by the west.

The west does not want peace.

They want to suppress Russia.

"Allowed"?

Doubtful they can be stopped militarily.

But hey, what does papa know.

Papa most be from another planet 

• Haha 2