Greta Thunberg detained at German coal protest

Scott

It's getting very tiresome when members continuously disregard the rules and post factual claims which they refuse to back up with links or a cogent argument to support garbage which opposes the overwhelming majority of scientific evidence. So much so that it's become a waste of time even reading this forum anymore.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

They don't trust it because they don't like it. Then a few nutters on social media write some nonsense supporting their pov, and there we are, in their opinion they have been proven right.

It's more than that. Exxon, the Koch brothers and other give financial support to denialist sponsoring organizations like the Heartland Institute that align with their economic interests. Exxon scientists actually did research in the 1970's the predicted greenhouse gases would case global warming. Ultimately Exxon suppressed that research.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

They don't trust it because they don't like it. Then a few nutters on social media write some nonsense supporting their pov, and there we are, in their opinion they have been proven right.

To some degree I feel Al Gore and the Nobel Peace price undermined the whole process by not becoming trustworthy with the fire and hell scenarios. And Al Gore more or less searched a new  arena and platforms to be visual after lost the election and still be in business. 

I believe he as the person and the position he had become more damaging. I might be wrong, but most people I know ended up more verbally on one side or the other after he made the world news and got the peace price. 

Everyone had an opinion after that, and basically stayed there and not willing to change their mind. 

We need sober practical and useful solutions, not exploiting, spending and consuming more to save the environment. 

God sake we going to Mars to save the planet and the human race ????

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's getting very tiresome when members continuously disregard the rules and post factual claims which they refuse to back up with links or a cogent argument to support garbage which opposes the overwhelming majority of scientific evidence. So much so that it's become a waste of time even reading this forum anymore.

But it does offer me the opportunity to do a magic trick of sort.

When I ask them to provide evidence in accordance with this from the World News forum landing page:

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

they disappear.

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But it does offer me the opportunity to do a magic trick of sort.

When I ask them to provide evidence in accordance with this from the World News forum landing page:

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

they disappear.

Disappear like herpes. They keep coming back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

That's all you've got? She has answered this question many times in an open an honest way. And your best response is that? Not a single hint of evidence that she doesn't write them herself?

It's really quite childish to be honest.

And not a single bit of evidence saying she does, except the "aaaah" boy's believe anything.

PS. The "all you've got" from the GT crowd really is getting boring.....:ermm:

1 hour ago, transam said:

And not a single bit of evidence saying she does, except the "aaaah" boy's believe anything.

...as is using childish terms such as "the aaaah boys"whatever that means.

3 hours ago, transam said:

Another truly ridiculous comment. Tell me, can you prove that newspaper columnists write their own columns? That novelists write their own books? That any author wrote the words that are printed under their name? Clearly, it's incumbent upon the person who makes the accusations of non-authorship to provide evidence to the contrary. If you have a link to a respectable source to back up your contention, share it with us. If you can't do that, then it's clear you've got nothing.

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

More deflections and off topic trolling.

You just can’t defend your claim that someone should be locked up and have the key thrown away for exercising their democratic right to peaceful protest.

You ramble away because of this and make false accusations which when asked to back up fail to do so.

Instead you deflect away again. 

As, I said! you have been shown proof of that it was a question. Seems you realized that, and taking another approach. I have not made any false accusations. That seems to be your job.

If I see it as she is a trouble maker, and should be locked up and have the key thrown away. Hell, that´s my rightful opinion. Nothing that I have to defend in front of you. Who do you think you are?

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do you often take advice from a then 16 year old with no qualifications and no life experiences ?

Judging out of previous post, I would say that seems the answer to that one would be a big yes in this case ????

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Perhaps I do as others including climate scientists:

"I saw her speech to members of Congress and participated in the panel discussion that followed.   It was an honor to sit beside Greta and watch her listen carefully to each question then reply with refreshing honesty, great clarity and power. I have been working in climate science and advocating for climate action for most of my working life. Even so, Greta has inspired me to do more to reduce emissions and share the latest science, with Greta’s words always in mind."

image.png.1e7956d8cfdc0b93a94e223ef7fb36e2.png

https://blog.ucsusa.org/brenda-ekwurzel/im-a-scientist-greta-thunbergs-speech-to-congress-inspires-me/

Yes, That´s great! A person who worked with science most of her working life just got a new idol. 

8 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

As, I said! you have been shown proof of that it was a question. Seems you realized that, and taking another approach. I have not made any false accusations. That seems to be your job.

If I see it as she is a trouble maker, and should be locked up and have the key thrown away. Hell, that´s my rightful opinion. Nothing that I have to defend in front of you. Who do you think you are?

I asked you to back up your claim I believed the arrest was unlawful, something you have failed to do...

Oh dear, we do seem to be getting touchy over having your dictatorial approach to people exercising the democratic right to peaceful protest being exposed. 

Just now, Gottfrid said:

Yes, That´s great! A person who worked with science most of her working life just got a new idol. 

Your words "idol' but more than one:

Climate scientists say Greta Thunberg's efforts are building real momentum

"She is getting people to listen, which we have failed to do," one climatologist said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/climate-scientists-say-greta-thunberg-s-efforts-are-building-real-ncna1059321

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Another truly ridiculous comment. Tell me, can you prove that newspaper columnists write their own columns? That novelists write their own books? That any author wrote the words that are printed under their name? Clearly, it's incumbent upon the person who makes the accusations of non-authorship to provide evidence to the contrary. If you have a link to a respectable source to back up your contention, share it with us. If you can't do that, then it's clear you've got nothing.

Aaaaah, the got nothing ploy yet again.............????

I put the ball in your court, you prove otherwise, and hey, nobody has said GT doesn't write her own stuff, opinions have been put forward regarding this discussion, just for the "aaaaaah" brigade.........????

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Your words "idol' but more than one:

Climate scientists say Greta Thunberg's efforts are building real momentum

"She is getting people to listen, which we have failed to do," one climatologist said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/climate-scientists-say-greta-thunberg-s-efforts-are-building-real-ncna1059321

Yes, more pests out of the woodwork being a nuisance....:ermm:

• Like 1

Attenborough says we should all be grateful to Thunberg for waking up the world to climate change

Greta Thunberg Has a Fan in David Attenborough: "She Is There Because of Her Passion"

Haters will hate Greta's focus is the task at hand, never stopped her when she was 16, it won't stop her at 20

Greta Thunberg is angry, and not just about climate change.

"The haters are as active as ever", the 16-year-old Swedish climate activist posted on social media on Thursday, "going after me, my looks, my clothes, my behaviour and my differences". Anything, she says, rather than talk about the climate crisis.

It hasn't stopped her from campaigning. On Friday, she led another of her climate strikes, heading up a huge demonstration in Montreal, demanding international aviation does more to cut its carbon footprint.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49855980

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I asked you to back up your claim I believed the arrest was unlawful, something you have failed to do...

Oh dear, we do seem to be getting touchy over having your dictatorial approach to people exercising the democratic right to peaceful protest being exposed. 

This a truly amazing! How many time does it take? Ýet again, It was no claim! Look below once more.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:04 PM, Gottfrid said:

Ok, so then you are saying that she was detained and removed unlawfully? Can you please show me where you can back up that.

For your information, there is different rules and laws concerning democracy depending on which country you are in. I think they acted according to the law, which is why she is a trouble maker.

There you see what you call a claim. A claim that ends with a question mark, does not exist. My post and sentence ends with a question mark. Therefore, NOT a claim. Now I can´t explain that more clear to you. After it stand "Can you please show me......". This is to be understood as if, the answer is yes on the question. Most people understand such thing, and read, "if so", between the lines.

After that, I can´t be touchy about anything that regards you or Greta Thunberg. she was removed out of a reason. In some channels and other media they say because she was to close to the mine with risk of jumping in. I believe that is just an easy approach, to get rid of the problem and just let her on her merry way home again. Once out of the country, they just say "YES" she is gone this time too!

And that is my belief, and my opinion, and it will stay as is. Regarding everything about if it is a question or a claim, I sincerely hope we have settled now. Please do not make me explain again.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess she's some kind of hero if you believe in climate change and the narrative. I guess she isn't if you don't believe in that. For me she's neither since I feel the evidence does point to climate change being a serious thing, but I just don't give a damn. 

Edited by AndyFoxy

10 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

This a truly amazing! How many time does it take? Ýet again, It was no claim! Look below once more.

There you see what you call a claim. A claim that ends with a question mark, does not exist. My post and sentence ends with a question mark. Therefore, NOT a claim. Now I can´t explain that more clear to you. After it stand "Can you please show me......". This is to be understood as if, the answer is yes on the question. Most people understand such thing, and read, "if so", between the lines.

After that, I can´t be touchy about anything that regards you or Greta Thunberg. she was removed out of a reason. In some channels and other media they say because she was to close to the mine with risk of jumping in. I believe that is just an easy approach, to get rid of the problem and just let her on her merry way home again. Once out of the country, they just say "YES" she is gone this time too!

And that is my belief, and my opinion, and it will stay as is. Regarding everything about if it is a question or a claim, I sincerely hope we have settled now. Please do not make me explain again.

Deflect away and make baseless claims all you want [and that is what you were doing] but the fact is you are calling for draconian, totalitarian measures for exercising the democratic right to peaceful protest.

You have been exposed for what you are.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

You’re on the ball. It’s the young generation and their families who are going to lose not you. That’s the whole point.

When I was a kid in London, every winter the smog came down with a vengeance, people had to walk in front of my school bus showing the driver where the curb was and if a parked car was in the way.

Is it the same 60 years on, no, why....?

The same will happen in the future, fossil fuels will be depleted, and the next step in nuclear power will be here....

Edited by metisdead
Trolling video removed.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyFoxy said:

I guess she's some kind of hero if you believe in climate change and the narrative. I guess she isn't if you don't believe in that. For me she's neither since I feel the evidence does point to climate change being a serious thing, but I just don't give a damn. 

You obviously care enough to make multiple posts in this thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

In your opinion again. Never denied you that. Actually I posted that long time ago. Please look below, once more.

I just tried to defend accusations from you about something you called a claim, that in reality was a question.

It's not an opinion.

It is a fact she was exercising her democratic right to peaceful protest

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

After that, I can´t be touchy about anything that regards you or Greta Thunberg. she was removed out of a reason.

She stopped by the protest for a photo shoot and a video and it made for a great action packed photo to see her being carried away by some  policeman  , she was taken away because it made for a good photo and video for her self promotion and publicity  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

When I was a kid in London, every winter the smog came down with a vengeance, people had to walk in front of my school bus showing the driver where the curb was and if a parked car was in the way.

Is it the same 60 years on, no, why....?

The same will happen in the future, fossil fuels will be depleted, and the next step in nuclear power will be here....

You got a nuclear power crystal ball? Maybe you should trade that for some low-tech glasses to see what's actually replacing fossil fuels

Renewables Take Lion’s Share of Global Power Additions in 2021

New data released by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) shows that renewable energy continued to grow and gain momentum despite global uncertainties. By the end of 2021, global renewable generation capacity amounted to 3 064 Gigawatt (GW), increasing the stock of renewable power by 9.1 per cent.

Although hydropower accounted for the largest share of the global total renewable generation capacity with 1 230 GW, IRENA’s Renewable Capacity Statistics 2022 shows that solar and wind continued to dominate new generating capacity. Together, both technologies contributed 88 per cent to the share of all new renewable capacity in 2021. 

https://www.irena.org/News/pressreleases/2022/Apr/Renewables-Take-Lions-Share-of-Global-Power-Additions-in-2021

Renewable power’s growth is being turbocharged as countries seek to strengthen energy security

The global energy crisis has triggered unprecedented momentum behind renewables, with the world set to add as much renewable power in the next 5 years as it did in the past 20

The global energy crisis is driving a sharp acceleration in installations of renewable power, with total capacity growth worldwide set to almost double in the next five years, overtaking coal as the largest source of electricity generation along the way and helping keep alive the possibility of limiting global warming to 1.5 °C, the IEA says in a new report.

Energy security concerns caused by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine have motivated countries to increasingly turn to renewables such as solar and wind to reduce reliance on imported fossil fuels, whose prices have spiked dramatically

https://www.iea.org/news/renewable-power-s-growth-is-being-turbocharged-as-countries-seek-to-strengthen-energy-security

newablesake Lion’s Share of Glo

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

She stopped by the protest for a photo shoot and a video and it made for a great action packed photo to see her being carried away by some  policeman  , she was taken away because it made for a good photo and video for her self promotion and publicity  

Nope