Greta Thunberg detained at German coal protest

Scott

Just now, Gottfrid said:

No, it´s an opinion based on your standards, moral aspects, emotions and way of thinking. Others may have another way of looking at it. You are not the one who gets to decide what is a fact or not. Therefore, it´s your opinion, and if it is a fact according to you, then that will also stand for you and therefore be your opinion.

Nope. 

It is a fact it was a democratic exercise of peaceful protest. 

It is a fact you advocated draconian measures for doing so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Had the mining company allowed the protestors to freely roam the land , and had there been an accident , it is a dangerous environment , the mining  company would have been liable for prosecution on health and safety issues .

You are familiar with German law? They might have only been liable for a civil suit. Not prosecution. Or maybe not even that.  I don't know. You got a link to a reliable source that confirms the company would have been liable for prosecution?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pasathai said:

does she dare mention China building coal fired power plants in Africa ?

She's working for change by trying to move public opinion. I doubt that Chinese public opinion would be much moved her actions. And its debatable that they could ever see them. As for Africa, I kind of doubt given the history of colonialism in Africa, that the locals would welcome a European protesting on their behalf on her own initiative.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

She's working for change by trying to move public opinion. I doubt that Chinese public opinion would be much moved her actions. And its debatable that they could ever see them. As for Africa, I kind of doubt given the history of colonialism in Africa, that the locals would welcome a European protesting on their behalf on her own initiative.

The proposed new Chinese coal mines are a new generation of highly efficient coal fired power plants so not so high a priority target for protest, unlike the German dirty coal she protested.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And she got the Police to agree to take part in this ‘self promotion’ how?

Earlier on Mick Macmanus claimed the video showed a cameraman directing the scene. When I challenged him on showing where that happened, I pointed out that how would a cameraman be taking a video of himself directing the scene while shooting the scene? I never heard back from him. His original claims have been modified greatly.

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You are familiar with German law? They might have only been liable for a civil suit. Not prosecution. Or maybe not even that.  I don't know. You got a link to a reliable source that confirms the company would have been liable for prosecution?

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Earlier on Mick Macmanus claimed the video showed a cameraman directing the scene. When I challenged him on showing where that happened, I pointed out that how would a cameraman be taking a video of himself directing the scene while shooting the scene? I never heard back from him. His original claims have been modified greatly.

It was filmed by another person in front using a camera phone 

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The proposed new Chinese coal mines are a new generation of highly efficient coal fired power plants so not so high a priority target for protest, unlike the German dirty coal she protested.

Well, I looked that up and according to a Reuters article, which can't be linked to,  the new plants use 254 grams of coal to generate a kilowatt hour rather than 302. So it may be better but it still stinks. The industry in the US had a campaign feature "Cleaner Coal".  A more accurate description would be "Less Filthy Coal"

Anyway if you do a search for a Reuters article published on Feb 9, 2022, you can find that factoid and others.

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You really do not have to dissect and question my every word,

The German mining company would have be legally liable if they allowed people to roam the mining site and there had been an accident .

Whether they would have been prosecuted by the state or the people is irrelevant to the point that the mining company  would be responsible for any accidents that happen on their private land 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You really do not have to dissect and question my every word,

The German mining company would have be legally liable if they allowed people to roam the mining site and there had been an accident .

Whether they would have been prosecuted by the state or the people is irrelevant to the point that the mining company  would be responsible for any accidents that happen on their private land 

The difference between a criminal prosecution and a private lawsuit is huge. 

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Havent you seen the video ?

60 000 other people viewed the video , here , make it 60 001

You know, just posting link isn't enough. The link actually has to lead to something that supports your case. I have seen that video many times. I did see someone using their phone to record a cameraman. But I didn't see the video that person took or any other evidence that the cameraman was directing the scene.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

No, none at all

I watched enough of Crenshaw's talk to see his dishonesty. Germans are increasing their use of coal not because of enviromentalism gone wild but because the Russians invaded Ukraine and Germany had foolishly made itself way over dependent on Russian gas.

He lied about how much money Germany has spent on wind and solar. He claimed almost a trillion dollars.  Actually, in March of 2022 it was reported that Germany had spent more than 150 billion dollars.

"Germany has already spent more than $150 billion on its climate change ambitions, principally for scaling up renewable power."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/uhenergy/2022/03/24/a-balance-of-power-examining-germanys-post-russia-path-for-energy-sources/?sh=5eee4f6632b0

As for his comment about the closing of nuclear power plants being due to "radical, environmentalism", it was actually a politically popular decision. I think it was way too premature, but that's democracy for you. Actually, popular opinion is now changing on the subject.

https://www.energymonitor.ai/policy/weekly-data-shift-in-germanys-perception-of-nuclear-energy/

He also claimed that Germany's efforts hadn't reduced emissions. That's another falsehood

image.png.9a1faa4a755bdd58f5e18177cf65a398.png

https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/co2-emissions#:~:text=CO2 Emissions in Germany averaged,of 657400.02 KT in 2019.

It's actually quite remarkable how many falsehoods and omissions he managed to pack into his short diatribe.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, save the frogs said:

my 2 cents.

politicians and policy makers don't make decisions based on people or incidents like this.

they make decisions based on scientific advisors.

these incidents are designed for shock value for the masses, to bring attention to the masses, to get people thinking and talking about these issues. 

Regardless, unless solutions are affordable, acceptable and effective they will be rejected.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Teenagers today prefer real evidence, not stories from retired men on  anonymous forums, that speculate on what the future will be for them. Its now part of GSCE school curriculum. 

I thought they spent their time puffing something...

I think you are making a wild assumption regarding teens......:cowboy:

12 minutes ago, transam said:

I thought they spent their time puffing something...

I think you are making a wild assumption regarding teens......:cowboy:

92% felt that tackling climate change and protecting the environment is important to them personally.

https://www.groundwork.org.uk/news-youth-in-a-changing-climate/

Over 80% of young people eager to take action to help the environment

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/over-80-of-young-people-eager-to-take-action-to-help-the-environment

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

92% felt that tackling climate change and protecting the environment is important to them personally.

https://www.groundwork.org.uk/news-youth-in-a-changing-climate/

Over 80% of young people eager to take action to help the environment

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/over-80-of-young-people-eager-to-take-action-to-help-the-environment

Yes, when asked, bit different in practice........

Bit like Scottish Independence....????

18 hours ago, placeholder said:

You got a nuclear power crystal ball? Maybe you should trade that for some low-tech glasses to see what's actually replacing fossil fuels

Renewables Take Lion’s Share of Global Power Additions in 2021

New data released by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) shows that renewable energy continued to grow and gain momentum despite global uncertainties. By the end of 2021, global renewable generation capacity amounted to 3 064 Gigawatt (GW), increasing the stock of renewable power by 9.1 per cent.

Although hydropower accounted for the largest share of the global total renewable generation capacity with 1 230 GW, IRENA’s Renewable Capacity Statistics 2022 shows that solar and wind continued to dominate new generating capacity. Together, both technologies contributed 88 per cent to the share of all new renewable capacity in 2021. 

https://www.irena.org/News/pressreleases/2022/Apr/Renewables-Take-Lions-Share-of-Global-Power-Additions-in-2021

Renewable power’s growth is being turbocharged as countries seek to strengthen energy security

The global energy crisis has triggered unprecedented momentum behind renewables, with the world set to add as much renewable power in the next 5 years as it did in the past 20

The global energy crisis is driving a sharp acceleration in installations of renewable power, with total capacity growth worldwide set to almost double in the next five years, overtaking coal as the largest source of electricity generation along the way and helping keep alive the possibility of limiting global warming to 1.5 °C, the IEA says in a new report.

Energy security concerns caused by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine have motivated countries to increasingly turn to renewables such as solar and wind to reduce reliance on imported fossil fuels, whose prices have spiked dramatically

https://www.iea.org/news/renewable-power-s-growth-is-being-turbocharged-as-countries-seek-to-strengthen-energy-security

newablesake Lion’s Share of Glo

Coal, gas, and oil will not replenish itself, so tell us what will take it's place....:cowboy: