Trump criticizes evangelical leaders for not backing his 2024 presidential bid

Scott

image.png

Just days before Donald Trump hosts his first 2024 event in South Carolina, a state whose evangelical population has long played a critical role in its presidential primary, the former president is lashing out at religious conservatives who have declined to endorse his third presidential campaign.

Trump’s comments to conservative journalist David Brody in a podcast interview Monday, in which he decried the “disloyalty” of evangelical leaders who have withheld public support for his campaign, were the latest in a series of bewildering remarks he’s made about one of the most critical voting blocs in a Republican primary.

“Nobody has ever done more for Right to Life than Donald Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/politics/donald-trump-evangelicals-2024/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I still find it difficult to understand how anybody who pretends to follow the bible could ever support Trump and his behavior.

Not that I know much from the bible but the little I know is more than enough to know Trump does not live according to those christian values. 

Not many do. Lots of Sunday Christians don't give their second coat to the poor.

IMO it wasn't so much about his Christian values ( or lack of ) that they supported him for, but rather the values of his opponent that they didn't want in any shape or form.

With that election it always came back to voting for the least worst candidate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scott said:

Just days before Donald Trump hosts his first 2024 event in South Carolina, a state whose evangelical population has long played a critical role in its presidential primary, the former president is lashing out at religious conservatives who have declined to endorse his third presidential campaign.

Trump needs to have someone that he listens to make him understand that he is yesterday's man, and retire. It's not like he needs the money.

I hope he isn't able to stand again, as we don't need another 4 years of the attacks, which is the likely outcome if he did win.

At worst, he'd split the vote and let the Democrats win again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I still find it difficult to understand how anybody who pretends to follow the bible could ever support Trump and his behavior.

Not that I know much from the bible but the little I know is more than enough to know Trump does not live according to those christian values. 

Christian values in a nutshell.....   everything bad in this world is our own fault for being sinners. Everything good which happens in this world is a miracle caused by "Almighty" God.

"Almighty" God never does anything bad so he can never be blamed for anything bad. I guess this would include Trump....... and the end of the planet eventually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not many do. Lots of Sunday Christians don't give their second coat to the poor.

IMO it wasn't so much about his Christian values ( or lack of ) that they supported him for, but rather the values of his opponent that they didn't want in any shape or form.

With that election it always came back to voting for the least worst candidate.

He's talking about support in the primaries. Which primary opponent are you referring to?

To me the original sin of the American evangelical movement is the racial segregation of churches.  At the onset someone should have stepped up for the "higher power" beyond Earth-bound squabbles.

Whenever a Republican becomes president, they say "God made him president."  It's not said as a joke.  And never lose sight that in the US Christianity is a business, that financial sector is called "ministry."  One attractive aspect of it is tax exemption.  There is a lot of money to be made by selling people something they cannot see.  I could see someone like George Santos going into ministry, his bold-faced lying shows he's a natural. 

A certain disreputable (to put it nicely) figure in DT World is traveling around to country stirring up a "God & Country" fervor.  I'm expecting him to start grabbing headlines by summer when the comers for the GOP candidacy start to surface.

Unfortunately DT is not out of the picture, and he can still make things a lot worse.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bangon04 said:

"Almighty" God never does anything bad so he can never be blamed for anything bad. I guess this would include Trump....... and the end of the planet eventually.

At least you are right on one thing, the planet will end as a place where life exists when the sun runs out of fuel.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

At least you are right on one thing, the planet will end as a place where life exists when the sun runs out of fuel.

Estimates vary, but the planet will end as a place where life exists sooner than that.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 11:11 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Don't forget the Donaldian bibble and its commandments...

Thou must never lose

Thou should sucker the dim

Thou should always lie

Thou should dodge thy taxes

Thou should rob thy neighbours

Thou should covet thy neighbours wife

Thou should borrow from thy father & mother

Thou must commit adultery

Thou should only sell tacky images of ones self

Thou should blame everyone else for thy faults

Thou should have the manners of an alley cat

etc etc