Bangkok teen ends up like this on the Bangkok expressway after "lap nai" - a microsleep

webfact

dFQROr7oWzulq5Fa5Bt2CesUMddKS8HHJDmBhWqbBw9jKa7RBYgITJ0kJ0vOSUQm2Jq.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath published several pictures of what happened to a 19 year old youth who fell asleep at the wheel and hit a roadside wall on the expressway in Bangkok.

Attaphon had to be helped out of his Nissan Almera that had got wedged between two sections on the down ramp at the Rama 4 exit in the Hualampong area.

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04aiNEElFUHq9n1vxYdDSG2S9bpxhgSJ.jpg

The media noted that it was lucky that he did not fall down below. He was not badly injured.

Expressway police and Ruam Katanyu rescue services attended the accident at 4pm.

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04aiNEElFUHq9n1vxXvjFpgy1pf4SXct.jpg

Pol Maj Thanida Mankatanyu said that the driver had had a lap nai episode - a microsleep.

He had been going home, was alone and no other vehicle was involved in the incident. 

The driver was taken to hospital and was set to be tested for DUI. 

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04aiNEElFUHq9n1vxYW00MPFgaYNkkyi.jpg

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 1

Thai's seem to be able to fall asleep anywhere ,anytime , noise , daytime ,

does not deter them , like truckers sleeping in a hammock under the trailer.

this one was lucky ,did not die or kill anyone else, no mention of amulets but.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

I would think that if you fell asleep driving you would ease of accelerator,  maybe I’m wrong , it’s sleeps fault , not the guy driving 

Happened to me once... 

I’d been up early... then had been driving for a few hours, comfy car, about 3pm...   long straight empty road (Thailand - driving up towards Tak) road nice quiet, no stress, cursing at about 90kmh... 

Then shock....   scared-sh!tless...  I realised I’d just drifted off for a micro-second.

I’d never done it before, I’ve never done it since (that was about 15 years ago) - but it happened and it can happen easily.

I didn’t ease of the accelerator...  my body remained in the same position... I didn’t even deviate off the road etc (some do if you see the videos of ppl falling asleep while driving)....  BUT, I definitely nodded off for a micro-second... or even a second or two.... Quite frightening.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Foghorn said:

I would think that if you fell asleep driving you would ease of accelerator,  maybe I’m wrong , it’s sleeps fault , not the guy driving 

"it's sleeps fault, not the guy driving"  brilliant