Bank, staff and daughter ordered to return 200 MB to grandmother - a wake up call to banks not to trust their staff, says lawyer

webfact

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why do you disparagingly condemn those who may have a different opinion (based on their experiences) to your opinion as being "apologists"?  What is that all about?

That is the fall back line for anyone not confident in their argument

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Joseph98765 said:

every single thing here is about money, true... even the girls who are with 75 years old men and when they are having a meal she even don't look at his face (playing with her new iPhone that he bought ) when he is talking..but when the bill comes...she pass it to him.

All so true. The thing which annoys me more, is the change from any purchase is always handed to my wife or the Thai person I am with.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

the banks have always been good at that they apply charges to the accounts for the slightest thing and don't give interest on the balance.

Compared to backs in other countries Thai banks hardly charge anything from customers. If you have a savings account all you pay for is annual fee for the ATM. No charges for using it within the province and neighbouring provinces of your branch. If you use the bank's app to withdraw - no charges even in other provinces. Transfer from your account to someone else, even in another bank is also free.

As for interest rates - that's up to the BOT, not the banks

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Compared to backs in other countries Thai banks hardly charge anything from customers. If you have a savings account all you pay for is annual fee for the ATM. No charges for using it within the province and neighbouring provinces of your branch. If you use the bank's app to withdraw - no charges even in other provinces. Transfer from your account to someone else, even in another bank is also free.

As for interest rates - that's up to the BOT, not the banks

Since when has private banks been told what interest rate they must charge in Thailand ?

The Bank of Thailand monetary committee  sets the rates that the private banks have to work from . 

Private banks have there hands tied for raising interest as there are so many non performing loans out there .

Plus the Government has asked the banks to not put up interest rates to help the economy recover . 

19 hours ago, sambum said:
23 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

the banks have always been good at that they apply charges to the accounts for the slightest thing and don't give interest on the balance.

And close the account and keep the money if you don't use the account for a certain length of time - robbers!

Nonsense.  Money in dormant accounts will be returned to the account holder on request.  That was well publicised not so long ago by the BoT.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rickudon said:

Never had an account with a bank in Thailand that didn't pay interest. Maybe the staff are stealing the interest payments?????

Yes, that's the most common scam, they tell foreigners they are not entitled to interest. 

• Love It 1

19 hours ago, Spock said:

If mum is worth 200 million baht, the daughter won't be short of a baht nor the contacts required to ensure she avoids prison time. There is seldom justice to be found when dealing with the crimes of the Thai rich.

She doing 20 years as we speak.   In prison.  There is seldom so much false informtion and unjustified generalised Thai-bashing as is found on Thaivisa.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Change your bank, 2 banks I am with one pays 0.9% the other 1.5%

Don't have ability to open new UK bank account as I don't have UK address, and finding an alternative "offshore" account has proved to be a waste of energy, some still ask for UK address, at least 2 have wanted a 25,000 GBP deposit to open account. 

48 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.  Money in dormant accounts will be returned to the account holder on request.  That was well publicised not so long ago by the BoT.

Your usual antagonistic comment, which I call nonsense! I speak from personal experience  and not hearsay, which you should  understand.

For you, I need to cross the t's and dot the i's, so take note! I had a witness to the event, but unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago, so unfortunately that piece of evidence is not possible, so could you take my word for it?

I had a bank account which I had not used for over a year, because I had moved away from the town where I had opened it.

I was in the town with my friend (mentioned above) who had an account at the same bank and wanted to make a withdrawal, so I decided to close my account as I had opened an account in a bank nearer my current location. I was told that the account had been closed already. When I enquired who had closed it, the teller said "We have". When I asked why, he said that it was because I had not used it ion over a year, so I asked where my money was, to which he replied "Gone!" "Gone where?" I asked, to which he replied "Administration charges"

So my statement was not nonsense, and I suggest that you consider the facts before you make such derogatory comments. I would ask for an apology, but I suspect that that wouldn't happen, so I will put you on my "blocked" list instead (I thought I had already done that?) as I find ALL your comments (not just to me) inflammatory, and in some cases almost troll like.

Edited by sambum
Additional text
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You expect banks to work and provide a service for free? Really? Any other business you expect that from as well?

Nobody expects them to work for free, but they make fantastic profits off using your (sorry their) money through mortgages, loans, investments, etc. 

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

She doing 20 years as we speak.   In prison.  There is seldom so much false informtion and unjustified generalised Thai-bashing as is found on Thaivisa.

As a general rule, the poor go to jail and the rich do not. That is not Thai bashing, it's a fact.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Surasak said:

All so true. The thing which annoys me more, is the change from any purchase is always handed to my wife or the Thai person I am with.

That can be a blessing as they have the terrible habit of putting coins on top of your notes which then end up all over the floor as you are wrestling with the other hand full of goods/bags etc.   They just can't do things properly !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, itsari said:

Since when has private banks been told what interest rate they must charge in Thailand ?

The Bank of Thailand monetary committee  sets the rates that the private banks have to work from . 

Private banks have there hands tied for raising interest as there are so many non performing loans out there .

Plus the Government has asked the banks to not put up interest rates to help the economy recover . 

I was talking about interest given, as that's what the past I relied to was about. Interest given depends on BOT interest rates as backs can only pay lower interest than what they charge for loans, and that's governed by the BOT

Just now, LukKrueng said:

I was talking about interest given, as that's what the past I relied to was about. Interest given depends on BOT interest rates as backs can only pay lower interest than what they charge for loans, and that's governed by the BOT

I disagree, banks decide them selves what interest  they will pay on customers deposits .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spock said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As a general rule, the poor go to jail and the rich do not. That is not Thai bashing, it's a fact.

You clearly have not been following news reports very closely over the recent few years, several well-off, influential people have been detained in prison here.  That is a fact.

4 hours ago, sambum said:

When I enquired who had closed it, the teller said "We have". When I asked why, he said that it was because I had not used it ion over a year, so I asked where my money was, to which he replied "Gone!" "Gone where?" I asked, to which he replied "Administration charges"

What was the balance that you claim was inappropriately lost?   It is a fact that if a bank closes a dormant account with a credit balance after the bank's normal charges, the balance is sent to the Bank of Thailand according to the BOT's regulations but the account holder can always reclaim those funds with correct identification.   This was announced by the BOT and can be checked, unlike your claim. 

Any bank is entitled to close an unused account if the balance falls below that needed to keep it active, i.e. cover normal charges such as card renewal.  

On 1/19/2023 at 7:21 PM, Joseph98765 said:

every single thing here is about money, true... even the girls who are with 75 years old men and when they are having a meal she even don't look at his face (playing with her new iPhone that he bought ) when he is talking..but when the bill comes...she pass it to him.

It’s called “silent meals” and is very common in Thailand. You can see couples sitting together that never say a word the entire time.