Bank, staff and daughter ordered to return 200 MB to grandmother - a wake up call to banks not to trust their staff, says lawyer

webfact

24 minutes ago, Spock said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You clearly have not been following news reports very closely over the recent few years, several well-off, influential people have been detained in prison here.  That is a fact.

Tell me who. You're the expert. Meanwhile I will stick to my own belief which I believe to be the truth.

That would be "your truth".   

"Tell me who. You're the expert".

No, I'm not "the expert" but at least I'm aware of what actually goes on in Thailand, it's not necessary to be an expert to do that.  You can do your own research but here's a few to start...Joe Ferrari;  the CEO of Ital-Thai;  Social Development and Human Security minister Watana Muangsook; the police officer who got 50 years for taking bribes from soapies; a TAT governor (ex) is doing 50 years; a former minister was jailed for murdering a businessman in a fake car accident and stealing his stock assets...there's plenty more.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

That can be a blessing as they have the terrible habit of putting coins on top of your notes which then end up all over the floor as you are wrestling with the other hand full of goods/bags etc.   They just can't do things properly !

That annoys me also! 

Edited by sambum
To Delete text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, sambum said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What was the balance that you claim was inappropriately lost?   It is a fact that if a bank closes a dormant account with a credit balance after the bank's normal charges, the balance is sent to the Bank of Thailand according to the BOT's regulations but the account holder can always reclaim those funds with correct identification.   This was announced by the BOT and can be checked, unlike your claim. 

Any bank is entitled to close an unused account if the balance falls below that needed to keep it active, i.e. cover normal charges such as card renewal.  

Expand  

I did not mention any figure on purpose so that I would get  the reply you have just posted, and also I can not remember the exact figure, but  it was far in excess of that required for card renewal! ...

P.S. Your comment "can be checked, unlike your claim." I find in extremely bad taste!

"I can not remember the exact figure, but  it was far in excess of that required for card renewal!"

I didn't think that you'd "be able to remember it".   

As I posted, and as has been reported in the press a number of times by the Bank of Thailand, balances of dormant accounts that were closed by banks are transferred to the BoT from where they can be claimed.  If it was such a big deal, that's all you have to do, there's no need to keep whinging about "losing" it when it is not lost if you can provide the necessary identification to the BoT.

"Your comment "can be checked, unlike your claim." I find in extremely bad taste!"

I'm not concerned about your interpretation of my comment which was simply pointing out that your claim (that you will not back up with figures) cannot be checked; that is a fact. 

I'm not so stupid as to expect you to produce evidence from your deceased friend, obviously, but I was expecting that you could justify something that apparently concerns you as much as you claim it does and that was such a significant amount to "lose".   My claim that dormant balances can be reclaimed from the BoT is also a fact, a fact that can, very easily, be checked.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"I can not remember the exact figure, but  it was far in excess of that required for card renewal!"

I didn't think that you'd "be able to remember it".   

As I posted, and as has been reported in the press a number of times by the Bank of Thailand, balances of dormant accounts that were closed by banks are transferred to the BoT from where they can be claimed.  If it was such a big deal, that's all you have to do, there's no need to keep whinging about "losing" it when it is not lost if you can provide the necessary identification to the BoT.

"Your comment "can be checked, unlike your claim." I find in extremely bad taste!"

I'm not concerned about your interpretation of my comment which was simply pointing out that your claim (that you will not back up with figures) cannot be checked; that is a fact. 

I'm not so stupid as to expect you to produce evidence from your deceased friend, obviously, but I was expecting that you could justify something that apparently concerns you as much as you claim it does and that was such a significant amount to "lose".   My claim that dormant balances can be reclaimed from the BoT is also a fact, a fact that can, very easily, be checked.

So you are not concerned about my interpretation of your comment? Of course you are, otherwise you wouldn't make it in the first place, and I feel that to ask me to provide proof of an incident that as I have already explained happened many years ago is extremely pedantic.

I didn't say it was a significant amount of money to lose - you did:- "I was expecting that you could justify something that apparently concerns you as much as you claim it does and that was such a significant amount to "lose"."

I said it was significantly more than the annual cost of a bank card, which it was, but obviously if had been a "significant amount", I would have been asking to see the Manager! 

And  " there's no need to keep whinging about "losing" it". I am not the one "whinging" about losing it - you are the one who is taking it to extremes by wanting proof of something that happened many years ago. I merely pointed out that the bank had closed my account without my permission, and the balance had been used for "Administration Costs", but you are the one who is "whinging" on about how it can be claimed back from the BoT! And just as a matter of interest, how could I claim it back from the BoT, when as I have already told you, I have no proof of the event?

This "making a mountain out of a molehill" has to stop, or no doubt the thread will be closed! 

Suffice it to say that once again you have proved your troll like qualities, and I will take no further part in this pointless discussion, so get your last word in  as per usual! You are welcome!

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2023 at 10:11 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes i agree with you. I have to say when it comes to money blood is definitely thicker than water. I have never known such an obsessed nation so obsessed with money. From the taxi driver asking how much your salary is to the middle classes never satisfied with what they have. 

I won a million baht, why wasn't it 10 million.  For a Buddhist country which is not supposedly meant to be obsessed with money, the reality is very different . My faith in Buddhism was shattered when I saw a monk with 3 iPhone's. I have seen countless other incidents which shows that it is quite a farce.

No doubt the apologists will be here to defend this but from my opinion of 20 years within Thailand, when it comes to money many people have little morals. This story just highlights this and confirms what I have seen and know.

When it comes to money,  which country has high morals?

You may call me an apologist,  I still stand by my question!

An honest answer,  please. 

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2023 at 3:20 PM, JimTripper said:

It’s called “silent meals” and is very common in Thailand. You can see couples sitting together that never say a word the entire time.

Not saying both "silence" I meant the guy talking and the girl not even looking his face...anyway "very disrespectful"... I see it very often.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:22 PM, Kalasin Jo said:

And he pays handing the bill folder to a member of staff. Yet when the change, if any, comes the staff pass it to her. That really pisses me off. 

yeah...that's true too... I dated a girl who always kept the change for herself...the second date I dumped her

1 hour ago, Joseph98765 said:

yeah...that's true too... I dated a girl who always kept the change for herself...the second date I dumped her

I dated a Thai girl who always pointed back to me when they tried to hand back the change to her ????

I liked this because it made the server uncomfortable every time.

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2023 at 2:01 PM, gravity101 said:

I think the daughter got 20 years if you look at the original Web page.. Not sure about the others. That's a lot of laundry sacks to sew.

The bank  and the bank employees should also be held criminally liable. The bank employees should be jailed, and the bank should pay a fine 5 times greater than the money taken.

The sole job of a bank is keep people's money safe from loss and in this case they did not fulfill the fudiciary duty.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, sambum said:

And just as a matter of interest, how could I claim it back from the BoT, when as I have already told you, I have no proof of the event?

Yes, that interesting that you have "no proof of the event".   You need only your bank details, passbook and passport to make the claim from BoT.

9 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I dated a Thai girl who always pointed back to me when they tried to hand back the change to her

Not sure why service people here pretend like you don’t exist when you’re with your Thai GF or spouse. Hell, it even happens to me in restaurants when I order from the menu in Thai language, i.e., the waitress invariably brings my food to my wife.

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, that interesting that you have "no proof of the event".   You need only your bank details, passbook and passport to make the claim from BoT.

How many times do you have to be told? "No proof of the event" because this happened MANY YEARS AGO, and the details you mention above are unavailable (in fact I have  replaced my passport since then and surprise, surprise, I don't know where the old one is. (Does that surprise you in the same way as I can not recall to the nearest baht how much was in the account?) - but there you go again, I'm biting! NO MORE - I've got a bad taste in my mouth! 

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Not sure why service people here pretend like you don’t exist when you’re with your Thai GF or spouse. Hell, it even happens to me in restaurants when I order from the menu in Thai language, i.e., the waitress invariably brings my food to my wife.

The correct thing to do is present the bill and change neutrally or just on the table for a couple, not at the person of your choice.

It stems from a lack of boundaries on the servers part. Their personal stuff is leeching into their job. If you had a new employee who did this often you can watch for them possibly messing with the food of customers they did not like or other type of stuff of that nature in worst case scenarios.

Edited by JimTripper

On 1/20/2023 at 10:11 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

For a Buddhist country which is not supposedly meant to be obsessed with money, the reality is very different .

Yep.

From what I've observed, the Buddha is little more than a good luck charm for the average Thai. Most of these crassly materialistic money grubbers couldn't name a precept or a sutra if their lives depended on it.

In any case, I'm no Buddhist scholar, but I'm pretty sure the Buddha never advised his followers that money and social status were the only basis for respect and human dignity.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 8:40 PM, sambum said:

I did not mention any figure on purpose so that I would get  the reply you have just posted, and also I can not remember the exact figure, but  it was far in excess of that required for card renewal!

"Administration charges" covers a myriad of charges which are hidden unless you ask about them first - which of course you won't  know about - that's why they are hidden!

I can quote you a couple of examples (at least) where I was told a certain service would cost me a certain amount of money, and surprise surprise, the exact charge was far in excess of what I was told originally - due to "Administration Charges" being added to the original quote!

Example: I transferred a large amount of cash from my account in a British Bank to my wife's account in a Thai Bank at a rate of "0.25% or 500 baht maximum". The "500 baht maximum" actually came to about 1600 baht because of "Administration Charges"! Apparently, it was because the money was transferred first to Bangkok, and then to my wife's account in my hometown. (She doesn't even have a bank account in Bangkok with that particular bank!) So whose account did they transfer it to in Bangkok in order for it to be sent to her account in our hometown? I would hazard a guess that the money went direct into a "holding account" to get them a bit of interest before transferring it to where it should have gone in the first place, and then add an "Administration Charge" on top to cover the transfer from one Branch to another! 

I say this because in the UK if I transfer money from one bank to another - it costs nothing, Similarly, if I transfer money from one Branch of a bank to another Branch of the same bank - it costs nothing.

Now you can say that different rules apply in different countries, but to charge you for a transfer of funds between 2 Branches of the same bank is totally unexpected/unacceptable(?), and I have never heard of that happening elsewhere.  

P.S. Your comment "can be checked, unlike your claim." I find in extremely bad taste! As I have already explained, my only witness to the exchange (My "best" friend for more than 40 years as it happens) has since died, so obviously his testimony can not be checked!!!  ????

This is absolutely true. The banking system and myriad charges for each and every little thing is just a scam. In India, I can do almost everything on line - and free - no matter which bank to which bank. Here, a) "oh sorry, for that you must go to your home branch" b) withdraw money from SAME bank ATM outside your city and pay a service fee!! - preposterous! c) all sorts of charges when receiving money from abroad, and one of the highest charges I've seen when remitting funds from here to another country. My friends outside Thailand couldn't believe I'd paid that much to send them money.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

This is absolutely true. The banking system and myriad charges for each and every little thing is just a scam. In India, I can do almost everything on line - and free - no matter which bank to which bank. Here, a) "oh sorry, for that you must go to your home branch" b) withdraw money from SAME bank ATM outside your city and pay a service fee!! - preposterous! c) all sorts of charges when receiving money from abroad, and one of the highest charges I've seen when remitting funds from here to another country. My friends outside Thailand couldn't believe I'd paid that much to send them money.

No doubt "a certain poster" will find the charges reasonable, or even say it's your fault that you have to pay such high charges because you choose to live/work here!!! ????   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1