Agent claims Immigration want to see 800k in bank book plus letter to transfer retirement extension to new passport.

1 minute ago, Kopitiam said:

Bank usually don't need to know your "visa" or "immigration extension" status when you update your passport information with the bank.  You would need to present your old passport and new passport.  Done this a couple of times with SCB.

I have also done this before with SCB but it seems nowadays they check for valid visa for everything. Have to have a  valid visa to register at a hospital for example.

• Like 1

Just now, Kopitiam said:

You can always show them your old passport with the current validity of extension of stay.  The bank cannot be so "thick" they they cannot see that you have a new passport and just want to update your passport information.  I must say this is also new to me.  I will be getting a new passport next year.

It could be that staff at one branch could be that thick and require you to try another branch, but you are right, the visa in the old passport is the valid visa, and the new passport is the passport.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Ok just come from my agent: Imm are insisting on seeing "funds" [800k?] in the bank for two months before the transfer of stamps (no it wasn't likely in The Royal gazette). I reiterate that I am outside the two month before renewal window. Agent agreed there is no such regulation, which will catch many out if universally applied - I had the good fortune to have 800k left in that account all year - remember this is through an agent who "facilitates" things."

Basically inventing a rule that will catch out a lot of people if it is 800k not 400k they want to see. Will do a standalone thread in due course to warn others.

I doubt Jomtien will do such checks as they will lose a lot of money

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

Anybody heard of this before (I haven't). Seems because it is a retirement extension they are demanding bank book and letter to transfer the stamps. The wild card is that the bank may not recognise my new passport as valid unless the stamps is transferred and Immigration won't transfer without the bank book and letter. Anybody have experience of this?

I was told this as well by CW immigration last month when I did non O retirement extension. My passport will need renewing this year and the IO told me to bring updated bank book and letter when I come in and transfer the stamps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mokwit said:

Ok just come from my agent: Imm are insisting on seeing "funds" [800k?] in the bank for two months before the transfer of stamps (no it wasn't likely in The Royal gazette). I reiterate that I am outside the two month before renewal window. Agent agreed there is no such regulation, which will catch many out if universally applied - I had the good fortune to have 800k left in that account all year - remember this is through an agent who "facilitates" things."

Basically inventing a rule that will catch out a lot of people if it is 800k not 400k they want to see. Will do a standalone thread in due course to warn others.

Edited 3 hours ago by mokwit

You added [800K?] after "funds."  Did your agent specify that immigration asked to see 800K in the bank, or just "bankbook showing funds?"

Seems reasonable that they might want to check the account balance to see if there's actually the required amount sitting in the bank, in which case it would be 400K. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Seems reasonable that they might want to check the account balance to see if there's actually the required amount sitting in the bank, in which case it would be 400K

Hasn't been required in the past.

Already looked back at threads regarding transfer of stamps at CW and can't find any with this requirement.

Note another post just above backing up this request from io at CW.

Strange! 

• Thumbs Up 1

mokwit - "Interestingly I asked one agent to do 90 day and the response was who did it for you before? Likewise the agent I used wanted to know who did 90 day before and who did the retirement extension (me legitimately)."

What reason did the 1st agent you mention give for turnng down the job?

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

You added [800K?] after "funds."  Did your agent specify that immigration asked to see 800K in the bank, or just "bankbook showing funds?"

Seems reasonable that they might want to check the account balance to see if there's actually the required amount sitting in the bank, in which case it would be 400K. 

Agree. I don't know if it is the full 800k they want to see. Poor choice of title by me.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

mokwit - "Interestingly I asked one agent to do 90 day and the response was who did it for you before? Likewise the agent I used wanted to know who did 90 day before and who did the retirement extension (me legitimately)."

What reason did the 1st agent you mention give for turnng down the job?

I turned them down as they wanted me to be physically present for passport stamp transfer. Hand holding, not doing it for me.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

You can always show them your old passport with the current validity of extension of stay.  The bank cannot be so "thick" they they cannot see that you have a new passport and just want to update your passport information.  I must say this is also new to me.  I will be getting a new passport next year.

I am collecting my new passport in 2 weeks and I shall be updating my banking information with all 3 banks I have accounts with.

My 90 day is not due until late February and I shall ask for the visa extension to be transferred to the new passport then.

I'll update if there are any difficulties encountered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

What is the required months left in the old passport for applying for a new visa?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No your extension is only valid until the end of old passport. 

Not entirely true. Your passport can "end" before an extension if it becomes full up.

My last passport ended with 7 years validity remaining.

• Thanks 1