Agent claims Immigration want to see 800k in bank book plus letter to transfer retirement extension to new passport.

1 hour ago, rwill said:

I had my stamps transfered about 3 months ago.  I did it in person.  All I needed were the old and new passports and the letter from the embassy.

I did the same at chiang mai immigration, renewed my passport in the UK last year, they asked me for the letter, had a devil of a job convincing them I didn't need one. In the end they agreed. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No your extension is only valid until the end of old passport. 

Not completely correct.  If your passport has more than 1 year validity, your extension will be for 12 months.  If your passport validity has less than 1 year, your extension will be until the end of validity date in your passport.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Bank usually don't need to know your "visa" or "immigration extension" status when you update your passport information with the bank.  You would need to present your old passport and new passport.  Done this a couple of times with SCB.

A lot depends on if you have online banking. The regulations are tighter than with just an account and banks are supposed to monitor your visa status.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

A lot depends on if you have online banking. The regulations are tighter than with just an account and banks are supposed to monitor your visa status.

Didn't know the banks are doing the job of immigration.

5 minutes ago, roo860 said:

I did the same at chiang mai immigration, renewed my passport in the UK last year, they asked me for the letter, had a devil of a job convincing them I didn't need one. In the end they agreed. 

I gave them the 2 passports and the letter, didn't even look at the letter, just handed it straight back.

My passport runs out next year, think I will renew in UK and come back on a new visa.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I gave them the 2 passports and the letter, didn't even look at the letter, just handed it straight back.

My passport runs out next year, think I will renew in UK and come back on a new visa.

And had to photocopy every page of my old passport, plus re entry stamp in the new one. But was done in 20min, so a result, I suppose. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Didn't know the banks are doing the job of immigration.

It is the job of the banks, not immigration, to ensure certain services are only offered to customers with the appropriate qualification.

It is a fairly global that entities request notification on change of circumstances and sometimes make random checks, ever heard of life cerificates.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roo860 said:

ooh .............

I just started a thread about this (renewing passport outside Thailand and the Letter) and there the answer was indeed NOT needed (only needed if you renew your passport via the Embassy)

I think before I fly back "home" to renew my passport that I am going to ask Immigration if they want it or not (that letter)

8 hours ago, mokwit said:

It is completely unreasonable. I paid Bt1,900 for a 1 year extension, showed I had sufficient funds, and the extension in my old passport is valid for a year. It is not a renewal it is a transfer of an existing extension.

Actually if you used bank deposit of 800k as proof of funds for retirement extension of stay you also got paperwork outlining requirements to maintain levels at 800k and 400k throughout the year.  Seems they just want proof that you currently are in compliance with those requirements.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Seems they just want proof that you currently are in compliance with those requirements.

Using that logic you would need to supply funds in bank evidence for such things as 90 day reports in person and reentry permits, residence certificate etc 

The requests by immigration are quite normal procedure . To transfer visa to a new passport you need a letter from the passport office .In the case of UK passport renewal the letter is included with the new passport. The fact you have to show 800,000 funds to transfer  retirement extension to new passport is also a longstanding requirement .Even if you don't have the 800,000 or 400.000 after three months  or never did i am sure the agent will provide the same service to illegally show funds as they did with the original extension. For a fee of course. Nothing unusual here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually if you used bank deposit of 800k as proof of funds for retirement extension of stay you also got paperwork outlining requirements to maintain levels at 800k and 400k throughout the year.  Seems they just want proof that you currently are in compliance with those requirements.

i don't think tacking that on to transferring extensions without warning is really appropriate.

1 minute ago, jippytum said:

The fact you have to show 800,000 funds to transfer  retirement extension to new passport is also a longstanding requirement .

I have never heard of it before - unless they are dragging out a long unenforced regulation.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Not really - this is an actual signed extension of stay entry in a new passport so directly related to your abiding by the requirements for such.

I struggle to find this requirement in any of the past threads regarding transfer of stamps at CW. 

I had never seen it before.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was asked for at some crack pot immigration office however I find it surprising that this was required at CW. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I find it surprising that this was required at CW. 

Quite, CW are actually very sensible about things. Maybe it is an overzealous officer, but CW are not known for that kind of independent interpretation, even though the "Competent official" can request anything hey want under the law.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I struggle to find this requirement in any of the past threads regarding transfer of stamps at CW. 

Not saying it was - only that it has some logic to it - add the fact extensions are never provided for longer than the passport expiration date anymore and seems even more logical that it might be asked (in this case for the 2 month normal extension requirement it seems).  Alternative would be to wait until new extension due and use old passport for now (extension as a visa still valid even if passport not).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

only that it has some logic to it - add the fact extensions are never provided for longer than the passport expiration date anymore and seems even more logical that it might be asked

That makes total sense, and that is one of the reason why I want to renew my passport BEFORE my extension is due for renewal.

8 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Quite, CW are actually very sensible about things.

Just now have read past threads "transfer stamps at CW" 

In some of those threads posters relate their experience at CW and other offices. 

Can't find a post listing bank book proof of funds.

Note: I do not doubt OP post.

Also another chap earlier stated that the io noticed his passport required renewal prior to his next extension and made that poster aware that he needs to bring proof of funds.

Why not check current status of marriage for those on extensions based on marriage. Divorce = extension void. 

More harassment. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

They are treating your current request as a new extension two month I suspect - as will require a new stamp in the new passport.

As I said before, I have already met the requirements for those two months.

7 minutes ago, mokwit said:

As I said before, I have already met the requirements for those two months.

Believe I did not explain well - they want the normal two months in bank prior to any retirement extension of stay request using bank funds.  Nothing to do with time remaining on extension.  Sorry if not clear.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, jippytum said:

The requests by immigration are quite normal procedure . To transfer visa to a new passport you need a letter from the passport office .In the case of UK passport renewal the letter is included with the new passport. The fact you have to show 800,000 funds to transfer  retirement extension to new passport is also a longstanding requirement .Even if you don't have the 800,000 or 400.000 after three months  or never did i am sure the agent will provide the same service to illegally show funds as they did with the original extension. For a fee of course. Nothing unusual here

"To transfer visa to a new passport you need a letter from the passport office ."

This is the 1st I've heard of 

a letter needed to xfer Visa/Extension stamps to new PP.

I'm about to send off my USA PP for a new one.

What are the contents of the letter?

Does anyone know if the USA Embassy normally includes this with a renewed PP?

39 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It is the job of the banks, not immigration, to ensure certain services are only offered to customers with the appropriate qualification.

It is a fairly global that entities request notification on change of circumstances and sometimes make random checks, ever heard of life cerificates.

Yes, when you open a new bank account as a foreigner, the bank will want to know whether you are a "resident" in the country with the necessary immigration approval.  Here we are talking about updating a personal data (new passport).  For discussion sake, if the bank found out that you are no longer a "resident" and you cannot have an account.   The bank now say you cannot access your money because your old passport is now void and no more valid.

16 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Still lax about deposits, ID.

Not at my local "ttb" branch they aren't.

Last year went to deposit cash into my children's accounts, offered Pink Card as ID, not acceptable doesn't show passport no, offered Thai Driving License it does show passport number, not acceptable must be passport, crazy but OK it's their country.

This year must have account owners with me (my children aged 16 and 18) luckily still during school holidays.

13 hours ago, lamyai3 said:
18 hours ago, mokwit said:

Anybody heard of this before (I haven't). Seems because it is a retirement extension they are demanding bank book and letter to transfer the stamps. The wild card is that the bank may not recognise my new passport as valid unless the stamps is transferred and Immigration won't transfer without the bank book and letter. Anybody have experience of this?

I was told this as well by CW immigration last month when I did non O retirement extension. My passport will need renewing this year and the IO told me to bring updated bank book and letter when I come in and transfer the stamps. 

The tightening of (some of) the screws.

There's no specific regulation per se but the written caveat that the officer may ask for any other documentation as they see fit, ie. pull out of his butt either to cover it or impress a boss, still stands.

• Thumbs Up 1