Agent claims Immigration want to see 800k in bank book plus letter to transfer retirement extension to new passport.

3 hours ago, Brick Top said:

I had to do this last week , my new passport arrived last Thursday week , my retirement extension expires on March 1st. 

So last Friday week I went to immigration first and they swapped my Visa over and extension to March 1st 2023 over to my new passport , this took 15 minutes.

Then last Monday I went to the bank to first update my new passport , then I got the bank guarantee letter to show I had over 800,000 in the bank. Then copied every page of my bank book , obtained and printed a 12 month statement from my banking app. Then went to immigration last Monday afternoon with my new passport and bank letter ect and they did my retirement extension early within 45 days. It took less than 10 minutes picked my passport up on Tuesday with extension to March 1st 2024 .

Which office?

They did not ask for bank  account info when swapping passport stamps?

23 hours ago, mokwit said:

I have also done this before with SCB but it seems nowadays they check for valid visa for everything. Have to have a  valid visa to register at a hospital for example.

All the banks have been doing that for a long time.  Just because the clerk doesn't announce it to the customer doesn't mean that they don't check when they copy your PP and that is every time you make any counter transaction.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:
23 hours ago, mokwit said:

I have also done this before with SCB but it seems nowadays they check for valid visa for everything. Have to have a  valid visa to register at a hospital for example.

Lol. Only withdrawals.

No, any counter transaction when the passport has to be presented.  Cash deposits require ID also now.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

8 hours ago, sandyf said:
8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No your extension is only valid until the end of old passport. 

Not entirely true. Your passport can "end" before an extension if it becomes full up.

A passport full of stamps with no more space does not "end" or become invalid.  A PP's expiry date is the expiry date shown in the PP! 

• Like 1

Everybody has to be inconvenienced to provide bank statements so that they can catch out somebody who had 400k in the bank but forgot his bank would deduct bt200 for the debit card. As always, collective punishments just in case one person might get away with something.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Which office?

They did not ask for bank  account info when swapping passport stamps?

Phuket , when changing the stamps over , being the original Non Immigrant O from 2007 and the March 1 2002 extension they asked me for :

1. Copy of every page of my old passport

2. Copy of the original Non Immigrant O 

I also gave the a letter that the UK Embassy gave me asking them if they would kindly swap my Visa stamp over into my new passport 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Hasn't been required in the past.

Already looked back at threads regarding transfer of stamps at CW and can't find any with this requirement.

Note another post just above backing up this request from io at CW.

Strange! 

I had to show my bank book to transfer retirement extension to my new passport. Didn't have it with me, so they sent me home to get it.

At CW, last year.

There are at least 2 threads about this, it happened to several people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Using that logic you would need to supply funds in bank evidence for such things as 90 day reports in person and reentry permits, residence certificate etc 

This is exactly what the supervisor told me: "Every time you visit immigration,  you must bring your bank book."

So now I bring it even for a 90-days report. Nobody ever wanted to look at it. :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lorry said:

This is exactly what the supervisor told me: "Every time you visit immigration,  you must bring your bank book."

So now I bring it even for a 90-days report. Nobody ever wanted to look at it. :)

Immigration just spreading there love to all.  Nice. :bah:

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Didn't have it with me, so they sent me home to get it.

At CW, last year.

The point is that this is new..ish requirement.

There are many threads on stamp transfer going back years both at CW and elsewhere and bank book proof of funds was not required. 

Bottom line is just another piece of rubbish immigration, in this thread CW, throws into the mix to make life exciting. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The point is that this is new..ish requirement.

From the last threads,  I didn't have the impression it's a requirement at all.

Just some people were asked for  the bank book, some were not. 

A friend of mine will transfer stamps of retirement extension next week.

I will ask him how it went. 

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:
On 1/20/2023 at 5:21 PM, mokwit said:

"The wild card is that the bank may not recognise my new passport" 

Have you tried?

Isn't it a simple case of the OP taking both passports, bank book, bank card, Thai DL, yellow book, blue book, rental agreement or whatever else proves he is still who he was when he opened the account to the bank and get them to update the details on file?

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, any counter transaction when the passport has to be presented.  Cash deposits require ID also now.

Not at Bangkok Bank, Central branch in Udon Thani they're not.

PS: Account held at Bangkok Bank, Pattaya Sai 2 branch.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Isn't it a simple case of the OP taking both passports, bank book, bank card, Thai DL, yellow book, blue book, rental agreement or whatever else proves he is still who he was when he opened the account to the bank and get them to update the details on file?

both passports, bank book was all that was needed. My concern was that they might not recognise the old extension not yet transferred to the new passport, but they absolutely knew old extension valid even if not in new passport.

13 hours ago, lelapin said:

How long before a UK passport expires can you arrange to renew it and if I use an agent roughly how long will it take.

Current turnaround time has been reported as much as twelve weeks. Three months may be cutting it fine so I would go for four months or sixteen weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

both passports, bank book was all that was needed. My concern was that they might not recognise the old extension not yet transferred to the new passport, but they absolutely knew old extension valid even if not in new passport.

Ah, ok. I never read the whole thread after first looking yesterday so you are all sorted WRT the bank letter stuff.

Good luck with the immigration pedant at CW!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lorry said:

So now I bring it even for a 90-days report. Nobody ever wanted to look at it. ????

Day by day, that one-year multi-entry Non-O gets better and better.

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2023 at 7:07 AM, rwill said:

I had my stamps transfered about 3 months ago.  I did it in person.  All I needed were the old and new passports and the letter from the embassy.

you refer to 'the letter from the Embassy' -would that be the letter enclosing the old/new passports? if so, i must be careful to keep such letters for each of my wife and I.

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

nobody that I can read, here, refers to the bank's letter of certification of balance. I present that, plus a copy of my savings book, where I keep my 800k. Interest rates are so crappy, that I find it's not worth while to take 400k out and put it back in again.

Edited by paddypower

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

Are all agents illegal then?

No idea, but how sure can you be that the Stamp you get in your Passport is real when you have not visited an IO and only let the agent deal with IO?

As I said earlier, I wonder how stamps / extensions obtained via Agents hold up under scrutiny.

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

No idea, but how sure can you be that the Stamp you get in your Passport is real when you have not visited an IO and only let the agent deal with IO?

As I said earlier, I wonder how stamps / extensions obtained via Agents hold up under scrutiny.

If they are done within 'the system' they are regarded as the same. Problems occur when the stamp comes from some lower level person freelancing on their own behalf. This is what gets busted. Outright fakes also are out there.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

How many people are you aware of being deported for irregularities (fake stamps) for visa/extension of stay being deported having used an agent for the process?

If you have evidence a link would suffice

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:
17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not at Bangkok Bank, Central branch in Udon Thani they're not.

PS: Account held at Bangkok Bank, Pattaya Sai 2 branch.

You're trying to say that those counter transactions that normally require ID, i.e. ID card for Thais or a copy of a passport for foreign customers, are not required at that BBL branch?    Foreign account holders do not need to have their identity confirmed?   I believe that is a false statement.

57 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

How many people are you aware of being deported for irregularities (fake stamps) for visa/extension of stay being deported having used an agent for the process?

If you have evidence a link would suffice

I have no idea as I don’t deal with agent and I just said that I was wondering. 

Edit: and as you maybe know agents play the system so who knows how legal they act?

edit 2: did you quote the wrong person by any chance? @mokwit posted about illegal stamps etc etc. 

Edited by MJCM