Agent claims Immigration want to see 800k in bank book plus letter to transfer retirement extension to new passport.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office.

Why not using online for 90 day report if travel is difficult.

Why would immigration want to see 800k in bank. Smells like Jomtien. 

Smells like Jomtien! 

I got a new passport end of last year had the stamps all transfer without ever being ask for bank book.  

Same ten years ago. 

4 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Smells like Jomtien! 

I got a new passport end of last year had the stamps all transfer without ever being ask for bank book.  

Same ten years ago. 

Ditto my experience at CW last time I had to transfer stamps.

As I have mentioned in the thread, I have read through past threads on this and no mention of this bank book nonsense.

Guess need to await future reports to be aware of what new brick immigration is throwing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, mokwit said:

I have also done this before with SCB but it seems nowadays they check for valid visa for everything. Have to have a  valid visa to register at a hospital for example.

"The wild card is that the bank may not recognise my new passport" 

Have you tried?

Lacking clear info,  Based on posting Did he not obtain letter from Embassy to have stamps transfer? 

Bank passbook isn't tied to the Passport number old or new. I just Thursday took my new passport to my Bangkok branch with my old passbook and ask for a letter. This is a bank not immigration I seriously doubt anyone knows what the stamps even mean. 

Years ago I was renewing my Thai license 3rd time, I went down immigration and got the residential certificate at the DLT, clerk ask me to run across the road and copy a page with a stamp.  I ask her in Thai why and what you need this stamp purpose to confirm what that is immigration job reason of the residential certification. I politely as to speak to so and so,  all of a sudden they request was withdrawn. 

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As I have mentioned in the thread, I have read through past threads on this and no mention of this bank book nonsense.

Guess need to await future reports to be aware of what new brick immigration is throwing. 

My experience  was at Jomtien. 

People will do what they do reason I do everything myself so I can continue to learn and be disruptive to others????

7 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Lacking clear info,  Based on posting Did he not obtain letter from Embassy to have stamps transfer? 

Bank passbook isn't tied to the Passport number old or new. I just Thursday took my new passport to my Bangkok branch with my old passbook and ask for a letter. This is a bank not immigration I seriously doubt anyone knows what the stamps even mean. 

Years ago I was renewing my Thai license 3rd time, I went down immigration and got the residential certificate at the DLT, clerk ask me to run across the road and copy a page with a stamp.  I ask her in Thai why and what you need this stamp purpose to confirm what that is immigration job reason of the residential certification. I politely as to speak to so and so,  all of a sudden they request was withdrawn. 

Yes had Embassy letter, and yes you may be right that it would not matter for Bank letter as PP number actually not on it. I needed a valid passport for letters and that is the new one. Old one would no do as corner cut off.  Needed both to change passport in bank system. just come back from doing it with no problems.

19 hours ago, mokwit said:

Seems because it is a retirement extension they are demanding bank book and letter to transfer the stamps.

When I transferred my retirement extension to a new passport at BKK CW Immigration some months back, that's exactly what they required of me -- to my surprise!

The IO and then the supervisor I spoke with both said that their (at least BKK CW's) newish policy for people with retirement extensions is that anytime you go to the L section there for any type of transaction,  they're going to demand new proof at that time of compliance with the 800K/400K deposit requirements.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

"The wild card is that the bank may not recognise my new passport" 

Have you tried?

just come back from doing it with no problems. Accepted new passport with no stamp tyransfer recognising stamp in old one valid.  I needed a valid passport for letters and that is the new one. Old one would no do as corner cut off.  Needed both to change passport in bank system.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My experience with that at BKK CW, as recited above, occurred Sept. of 2022. At the time, the IO and supervisor I challenged on the issue told me it was a new policy of theirs.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Yes had Embassy letter, and yes you may be right that it would not matter for Bank letter as PP number actually not on it. I needed a valid passport for letters and that is the new one. Old one would no do as corner cut off.  Needed both to change passport in bank system. just come back from doing it with no problems.

As I noted I got a new passport yesterday I requested a letter with new passport  from my branch Shown for the first time.  Nothing was asked of me of old nor any question relating to old to verify anything! 

Just show you how inconsistent procedure are! 

54 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I see we had an exchange of comments/posts previously on this very issue in the thread below after I came back last September from the BKK CW encounter and detailed their bank passbook demands:

27 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

My experience  was at Jomtien. 

Needless to say, Jomtien does not necessarily follow the same policies and procedures as they do at BKK CW.

PS -- The issue with the policy that BKK CW enforced, at least last fall, was that no one would necessarily be expecting to need to bring their Thai bank book holding their extension deposit with them for purposes of transferring stamps. That had never been required there in the past.

On my particular visit, I just happened to have brought the bank book with me... so I was able to meet their demand. But bringing your retirement extension deposit bank book, at least then, wasn't anywhere on their own list of required documents for completing the transfer of stamps process.

If I hadn't have brought the bank book with me out of an abundance of caution, I would have wasted a day and trip out to BKK CW, and would have had to return back there the next day with bank book in hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You missed the posts I did on that exact issue here last September after coming back from the BKK  CW encounter

I read the first page of that thread only. Didn't at the time read second page. 

I note your post re CW experience was Sept 2022 so relatively new.

Seems that this now is the new norm and folk with extensions retirement money in bank need to be aware of this.

Why not include married folk to supply current proof of marriage and those using income method to provide bank statements.

Just usual selective rubbish from immigration. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

AFAIK you only will get that LETTER (for Immigration) if you renew your Passport from WITHIN Thailand via the Embassy.

If you renew your passport OUTSIDE Thailand (fly back to your Home Country) then you will not get that Letter (Ps: I am not a Brit)

My passport is due for renewal in November and as I live next to Laos, the Embassy I will go to is there to renew my passport as its much more convenient for me to travel over the border with a re-entry permit, e.g. hours drive to the border and then 30 minutes by taxi.

Naturally I would have to go back to pick up the new passport a few weeks later, so same procedure would apply as opposed to me flying to Bangkok twice.

The above said, I would presume that the Embassy in Laos will provide me with my new passport and a letter to give to immigration here which would be accepted.

Anyone renewed a passport outside of Thailand and outside of their home country and were provided with a new passport and letter for immigration without any dramas ?

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"To transfer visa to a new passport you need a letter from the passport office ."

This is the 1st I've heard of 

a letter needed to xfer Visa/Extension stamps to new PP.

I'm about to send off my USA PP for a new one.

What are the contents of the letter?

Does anyone know if the USA Embassy normally includes this with a renewed PP?

If you are getting it through the American Embassy when it is returned they will provide the letter, no questions asked

• Thanks 1

Just now, flexomike said:

If you are getting it through the American Embassy when it is returned they will provide the letter, no questions asked

The British Embassy does the same. Although I did notice that they have an online link that allows you to request such a letter which now that I think about it, is probably for those who've renewed their passport outside the country (since, as mentioned, if you do it here, you get the letter automatically).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

no one would necessarily be expecting to need to bring their Thai bank book holding their extension deposit with them for purposes of transferring stamps.

This kind of thing........................Who would think to update their bank book and get a bank letter when nowhere does it say that is needed. (obviously the person who will come in and say that Imm make the rules and it is up to us to comply)

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

My passport is due for renewal in November and as I live next to Laos, the Embassy I will go to is there

You might want to contact that Embassy to confirm they will issue a normal passport to a tourist before your trip.

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

anytime you go to the L section there for any type of transaction,  they're going to demand new proof at that time of compliance with the 800K/400K deposit requirements.

So unnecessary and superfluous. Can they really not wait until the full year is up to cancel some non compliers visa. ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

So unnecessary and superfluous. Can they really not wait until the full year is up to cancel some non compliers visa. ?

In my case, and they knew it at the time, I had to be back there ONE WEEK later to the L section to do my new annual extension renewal, and had to repeat the whole bank book update and bank book photocopies process all over again.

But at least for the extension renewal process, I knew that it was going to be required, as it long has been.

33 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You might want to contact that Embassy to confirm they will issue a normal passport to a tourist before your trip.

Good point, however I would consider myself a Citizen before a tourist, but I get your point and will ask as I would normally do before heading off to make sure that I had everything in order, similar to the annual trip to immigration, e.g. don't want to have to go back because I forgot something, which is never the case, but always a first time, the always forgetting something is the Mrs, even when I have asked her if we needed this or that with no Tiruk, so I don't ask anymore, I just take everything, including the kitchen sink, because I know better now to ask her ????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Bank usually don't need to know your "visa" or "immigration extension" status when you update your passport information with the bank.  You would need to present your old passport and new passport.  Done this a couple of times with SCB.

no, they dont "need" to know. the problem arises when they "want" to know.

12 hours ago, mokwit said:

It is completely unreasonable. I paid Bt1,900 for a 1 year extension, showed I had sufficient funds, and the extension in my old passport is valid for a year. It is not a renewal it is a transfer of an existing extension.

But the requirement to maintain funds in the account is ongoing.  No reason (other than the extra step and 100 baht fee) to complain about them confirming you're still in compliance before transferring the stamps.

On the other hand, "technically" they simply refuse to transfer, saying the extension was for the old passport -- a new passport needs a new extension.  Sure, the rules might say differently, but as we all know rules are just suggestions, depending on the office.

I had to do this last week , my new passport arrived last Thursday week , my retirement extension expires on March 1st. 

So last Friday week I went to immigration first and they swapped my Visa over and extension to March 1st 2023 over to my new passport , this took 15 minutes.

Then last Monday I went to the bank to first update my new passport , then I got the bank guarantee letter to show I had over 800,000 in the bank. Then copied every page of my bank book , obtained and printed a 12 month statement from my banking app. Then went to immigration last Monday afternoon with my new passport and bank letter ect and they did my retirement extension early within 45 days. It took less than 10 minutes picked my passport up on Tuesday with extension to March 1st 2024 .

Edited by Brick Top
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Bank usually don't need to know your "visa" or "immigration extension" status when you update your passport information with the bank.  You would need to present your old passport and new passport.  Done this a couple of times with SCB.

I've done exactly the same with kasikorn...

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Needless to say, Jomtien does not necessarily follow the same policies and procedures as they do at BKK CW.

PS -- The issue with the policy that BKK CW enforced, at least last fall, was that no one would necessarily be expecting to need to bring their Thai bank book holding their extension deposit with them for purposes of transferring stamps. That had never been required there in the past.

On my particular visit, I just happened to have brought the bank book with me... so I was able to meet their demand. But bringing your retirement extension deposit bank book, at least then, wasn't anywhere on their own list of required documents for completing the transfer of stamps process.

If I hadn't have brought the bank book with me out of an abundance of caution, I would have wasted a day and trip out to BKK CW, and would have had to return back there the next day with bank book in hand.

I understand your reply.

But it also works both ways BKK doesn't follow Jomtien policies and procedures. 

Which is the reason we are constantly talking about the procedures and policies and responses asking location. There are 72 provinces and how many immigration offices each have their own hair up their butts rules and as noted then every officiers. 

Thus the confusions with so many things ????

• Like 1