Thailand’s exploited, vulnerable sex workers could soon be protected by law

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In the 13 years she has been selling sexual services, she has witnessed operators use harsh tactics to control sex workers and ensure they keep bringing in the money.

Was she locked up for 13 years? Why didn't she leave the job and do something else?

Many thousands of Thais have worked in the sex industry for decades without legal protection.

LOL. Given they can't be legally working in a bar till 18, if they had been sex workers for decades that would make them at least 38. The chances of any 38 year old getting customers when their co workers are in the twenties are somewhat slim, unless they can get their prospective customer so drunk they can't see.

IMO the only alternative would be to become one of the sad creatures lurking in the shadows hoping to snare a desperate passerby.

BTW, unmarried older bargirls have usually departed for the village or have become service, in which case they probably ain't sex workers any more.

Owners of so-called girly bars also fine the sex workers heavily if they fail to show up at work for a day or two.

Imagine you are supposed work, but you don't go to work and then your boss fines you for that. That is so unfair - not just in the sex business. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, unmarried older bargirls have usually departed for the village or have become service, in which case they probably ain't sex workers any more.

No no no, they are all in the Bamboo Bar!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Was she locked up for 13 years? Why didn't she leave the job and do something else?

The alternatives for unqualified females in LOS are mainly manual labour on ricefields, building sites, as a maid or in a sweat shop, none of which pay as much as lying on one's back with a guy doing the horizontal folk dancing.

• Like 2

Said one female worker "Those in the trade are merely offering what little they have to make ends ends meet." also from the link, 'customers will have the right to also refuse services' Phew that's a challenge :unsure:   "..and will support for sex workers occupational development" That's good news :giggle::cheesy:

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine you are supposed work, but you don't go to work and then your boss fines you for that. That is so unfair - not just in the sex business. ???? 

Maybe the terms is for what they are doing is not that good? Im sure you know and understand if you want. 

The bit that I find worrying is "In case of disputes between customer and service providers, OFFICIALS will act as mediators" that could lead to shake downs, still maybe better than getting the cr@p kicked out of you by staff.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lots of very drunk girls keep their jobs in bars. Because (mostly customers) have to buy them many drinks to get that drunk. The bar and the girl make a lot of money in that process - it's like that by design.

You must frequent dodgy bars then. I never saw a drunk bar girl in the bars I frequented.

They don't have to drink alcohol just because a customer bought them a drink. That's on them.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tjb30i said:

Now I am totally confused. The last press release said the Pattaya police visited all of the hots spots such as Walking Street and confirmed there are no sex workers. So they want to create legislation to protect sex workers who they claim don't exist lol?

Just in case of the small chance that in the future, some decide this is a career opportunity.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I missed that, but it's BS. Customers have never been unable to refuse "services".

Next will be consumer protection laws and ensuring customers get the service they pay for…… and the quality.

Edited by Reigntax
  • Like 1

Why lamenting now about the lack of legal standing of those ladies of the night when for decades their 'profession' was deemed illegal and criminal? how can you begin to protect and offer social services for something the government turned a blind eye to for decades?... 

3 hours ago, tjb30i said:

Now I am totally confused. The last press release said the Pattaya police visited all of the hots spots such as Walking Street and confirmed there are no sex workers. So they want to create legislation to protect sex workers who they claim don't exist lol?

I think you will find those statements usually say no prostitution, and given that prostitution is something that happens back in a hotel room, technically the are correct. The whole reason the barfine system exists is so the establishment is once removed from the actual prostitution transaction.

If the direction is too make prostitution legal and subject to tax, social security and given benefits it sounds comparable to the Netherlands but it looks difficult for Thailand to reach that level due to corruption. 

Well over due ! Some of these work go go bars are notoriously  treated  let alone local thai only karaoke bars bs and massage  parlors ! main issue here Will Thai ???? police enforce these laws if passed Most making money on the side off bars and extortion money off the Girls its disgusting to say least + politicians are no better well known fact heavily invested with criminal Organisation within Thailand foreigers or local Thais some of these mamasans from once being abused to being the abuser !! its  ruthless business . I hope these woman finally and actually are given real time protection well over due  from brutal thugs & crooked law enforcement ,  some girls are victims of drug addicted boyfriend that beat them severely if dont hand all or most of ???? to them , from bar girls to go go bars & street workers pimped out all over the world ! Thailand needs offer real time protection from the local law enforcement in known to less known areas " Majority of police " are in on it this crime themselves making living off these girls on side after they girls paid everyone else off ! Whats left ? Lets see what police actually Realk Do nothing as usual ???????????? Maybe set up new law enforcement department hand picked under cover operatives or specialized unit ?

Edited by Mad mick

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You must frequent dodgy bars then. I never saw a drunk bar girl in the bars I frequented.

They don't have to drink alcohol just because a customer bought them a drink. That's on them.

Jeez, inclined to say you should get out more..... seen quite  few over the years! Recall one in particular that would have been difficult to catch sober. Plenty of places laid on a bottle or two of Songsam and some cokes to get them lively and liberal, occasionally a girl who got a right mug the night before would spring drinks too. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2