Covid: Thailand tourism up but still below pre-pandemic level

webfact

image.jpeg
A Chinese tourist at the Temple of the Emerald Buddha
IMAGE SOURCE,NARONG SANGNAK/EPA-EFE/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK

Thailand says tourist numbers jumped last year, as coronavirus restrictions were eased, but remained way below pre-pandemic levels.

The South East Asia holiday destination saw 11.81m tourists in 2022 - up from just 400,000 the previous year.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand also forecast that figure will more than double to 25m this year.

However, those figures are still much lower than the record 39.8m tourists Thailand saw in 2019.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64369279

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2023-01-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thumbs Up 1

I was in Chiang Mai today for chores.  Chang Moi, Thapae, and Loi Kroh as well as the Nimmanahaemin area which was just packed with Chinese and farang.  Wororot Market was impossible.  It was busier than I've seen since 2019.  I'm glad for the business, but.....

I was happy to get out of town and head back to the sticks in Lamphun.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand says tourist numbers jumped last year, as coronavirus restrictions were eased, but remained way below pre-pandemic levels.

And they just expected it to return to what it was in 2019 overnight with the economies of countries suffering, plane fares increased and many people paying more in monthly bills....what planet are these fools on.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, connda said:

I was in Chiang Mai today for chores.  Chang Moi, Thapae, and Loi Kroh as well as the Nimmanahaemin area which was just packed with Chinese and farang.  Wororot Market was impossible.  It was busier than I've seen since 2019.  I'm glad for the business, but.....

I was happy to get out of town and head back to the sticks in Lamphun.

Chines Lunar New Year has a lot to do with that, lets see what it looks like in 2 weeks.  Hua Hin was busy over the weekend, but nothing down our way, pretty much normal as usual ice and calm.  We head to Phuket soon and I wonder what Phuket Town will look like .......

The family business in Hua Hin has been extremely busy for months, but mainly

Hi So Thais, a few Farangs but no Chinese. 
I remember back along standing at my front gate on Naebkehardt Road and watching a fleet of coaches arriving at the Itsara beach front restaurant, out would pour a hundred Chinese or Taiwanese tourists and 45 mins later out they’d come, climb aboard and off to the next “tourist attraction” after swilling down a 3 course lunch or dinner.

I was extremely glad our place wasn’t on the tourist map, but was always packed with money spending BKK HiSo’s. Even now, they have to close the gates because they are full on Thursdays, through to Mondays. 

Edited by Dazkkk

21 hours ago, whiteman said:

Chines Lunar New Year has a lot to do with that, lets see what it looks like in 2 weeks. 

I bet a lot will be coughing and sneezing by the leftovers of their visiting here.

I thought the same about 3 years ago......early Covid coming out of China and Thailand having quite a large number of Wuhan Chinese in the country.....they seemed to hit Italy more. Since there are going to be zero precautions, we only have the old vaccinations and a vaccinated population to rely on.... if we indeed need to fear anything.