British diving instructor found dead on Thailand’s Koh Tao under ‘mysterious’ circumstances

webfact

image.jpeg

British diving instructor, Neil Gibin, from Birmingham was found dead in Thailand’s Koh Tao, also known as ‘Death Island’.

By Rahmah Ghazali

A British man was found dead on Thailand’s Koh Tao - notoriously known as Death Island - last week and  circumstances surrounding his death remain a mystery. The body of Neil Gibin, 48, was discovered in a rented bungalow in the small paradise island on Wednesday (January 18) after he failed to turn up to a diving lesson.

Described as ‘fit and healthy’, Neil, from Birmingham, is believed to have died from natural causes. According to a report by a national newspaper, there was no sign of a struggle leading up to his death and that there was “nothing to investigate”.

However, Neil is said to be the fifth instructor to die in the past few years on the island following a series of unexplained deaths and murders of backpackers and tourists, tainting its reputation. A friend told the newspaper that Neil was found in his underwear on his sofa with a blanket on him.

The friend added: “The medics who showed up said there was nothing suspicious. I was told the police said straight away there was nothing to investigate. It happened so quickly. I don’t even think they did an autopsy. I talked to Neil about some of the deaths that happened here.

Full story: https://www.birminghamworld.uk/read-this/british-diving-instructor-found-dead-on-thailands-koh-tao-under-mysterious-circumstances-3997303

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright Birmingham World 2023-01-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

Just now, Hummin said:

Im sure my family and insurance company wanted an autopsy, and for Koh Taos sake, they should have done it, but with or without autopsy, there still would have been questions and mistrust. 

Koh Taos reputation is already damaged!

Whatever your family wants is not important. They only do this when its suspicious (just like in my country). But what is suspicious about someone dying in his sleep on a sofa under a blanket in his underewear. Unless clear signs of poisoning or violence there is no need.  

At least that is how it goes in my country.. but it s more what is the rule in Thailand. I doubt that every body gets an autopsy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Not where I am from, so maybe not here either. Why would your insurance want to know ? Just curious mine will pay out quite easy. Unless serious suspicions.. Me dying now (im his age)_ would not be strange. I think im healthy, my blood tests show as much. However you never know. Unless you do indept medical checks and then its still hard.

From other posts of yours it seems you're heavily into fitness, for you to die in your sleep would be considered unsuspicious?

Really?

Just now, PJ71 said:

Yes, i know a few dive instructors and yes they're fit.

To suggest that a fit 48 year old man dying in his sleep is normal is quite simply, absurd.

Maybe what you and i consider fit differs. But i can say the majority is not that fit and a lot drink and party a lot. Even though padi says no drinking before diving (night before). These guys are here just on a holiday working part of the year here. No super humans nothing. I am suggesting he was not fit and suggesting he might have had health problems. As we have no records from his DR. Its a speculation both sides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1